Celtic Transfer Window Summer 2017 ☘ 🍀 💵

Linked with Chelsea’s Dominic Solanke today. Could go to Celtic for a compensation fee whereas he’d cost an English club £8m-£10m.

Do you think City signing Bernardo Silva helps us re Roberts lads?

I think it’s possible now that Roberts will look pragmatically at having Aguero, Jesus, Kelechi, Sane, B Silva, D Silva, De Bruyne and Sterling for competition in the advanced positions and say he’s wasting his time there.

If he has a good Euro u21s though then I don’t think we stand a chance, some mob like Everton or Swansea or Bournemouth will be in offering £20m.

Linked with Johnny Hayes and Martin Caceres today.

Hayes I’d imagine is lazy journalism based on Rodgers chatting to him for a while after the game but that always happens because they were at Reading together.

Caceres seems to be an excellent defender but hasn’t really broken into the first team regularly anywhere. Thoughts @Nembo_Kid?

Caceres is a versatile sort and aggressive but is a bit rash as a defender. Would be a good signing all the same and he can play across the defence.

Any hope whatsoever of Roberts coming back?

[quote=“Big_Mick_McCarthy, post:4, topic:24113, full:true”].

Caceres is a versatile sort and aggressive but is a bit rash as a defender. Would be a good signing all the same and he can play across the defence.

Any hope whatsoever of Roberts coming back?
[/quote]

Yeah that’s basically what I think of him. We play 3 at the back sometimes too so he’s helpful in that, like Lustig in that we can change shape a bit which might be more important in Europe too.

I haven’t given up hope on Roberts but I’d imagine it won’t be easy at all to get him back. Another loan wouldn’t be ridiculous given their Bernardo Silva acquisition.

Caceres is a good player but injuries have really curtailed him in recent seasons. Would be a good signing though.

Hayes is a meh from me, good honest player, very direct but I don’t think his technical levels would be up to what Rodgers is aiming at now and he’s nearly 30.

[quote=“Nembo_Kid, post:6, topic:24113, full:true”].

Caceres is a good player but injuries have really curtailed him in recent seasons. Would be a good signing though.

Hayes is a meh from me, good honest player, very direct but I don’t think his technical levels would be up to what Rodgers is aiming at now and he’s nearly 30.
[/quote]
He’s apparently on huge money at Southampton so not sure if it’s more than rumours but I think he has the ability and the pedigree to be a big player for us.

Hayes is a decent player but he’d be a squad player like GMS and not much point in that for anyone.

Who is likely to leave?

I assume that Celtic will have no issues holding onto the likes of Dembele and Tierney for another year barring silly money being thrown at them

[quote=“Big_Mick_McCarthy, post:8, topic:24113, full:true”].

Who is likely to leave?

I assume that Celtic will have no issues holding onto the likes of Dembele and Tierney for another year barring silly money being thrown at them
[/quote]
My guess:

Leaving:
Scott Allan
Nadir Ciftci
Logan Bailly
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose

Probably Leaving
GMS
Eoghan O’Connell
Kolo Touré?
Saidy Janko

Possibly Leaving
Sviatchenko
Henderson
Ralston (on loan)

Probably Not Leaving
Ryan Christie
Kristoffer Ajer
Nir Bitton
Emilio Izaguirre

Not Leaving
Everyone else apart from Roberts.

1 Like

Has Armstrong signed a new deal yet.

Nope. Getting mildly concerning but I’d still be surprised if it wasn’t agreed soon.

Linked with Viktor Fischer.

Would be very happy with him, seems to be a player with a lot of potential so if we could get him for £3-4m it would be good business.

I don’t think we need a lot of moves this summer:

2 wide attackers, we only have Forrest and Sinclair now with Roberts gone.
Another central midfielder.

And then really depends on who goes and who we need to replace.

1 Like

Some chat elsewhere online about Paul Hartley joining the coaching staff.

Never liked him - a tubby, hairy shit.

1 Like

I’m not sure we need another central midfielder. We have Rogic, Bitton and Kouassi outside our starting 3 at the moment with the likes of Henderson and Christie to be added to that.

A wide player is definitely the priority. Getting one who can be emergency striker cover would be a bonus.

Think we might need a centre back too to upgrade on Sviatchenko.

I doubt we’ll do much better that Sviatchenko for back up or alternate centre half as generally defenders sit on the bench when a pairing is going well and you could tell he’s not to happy with being out of the team. If he goes we need replacing. We’ll probably have to replace Toure too.

Midfield isn’t a priority but I’d like a proper backup to Brown, someone who can help him out of the defensive side of the game. Armstrong and McGregor like to bomb forward, Rogic plays advanced, Bitton can sit but is powderpuff defensively although I do rate him and Kouassi we know little about. I think if something happens Brown we’ve nobody who can do his role.

2 wingers will be fine I and as you said one who could do a job up front would be great as well, although Sinclair has done that quite well when needed. Hopefully young Atchison might come on next year too.

I’d like to see us go for someone like Januzaj, his stock is low right now so it might be a good time to move. If we could get him for £5-6m I’d like to see us go for him, not sure how keen he would be but I think Rodgers could do really well with him, it would be a ballsy move but I think we can afford to spend about £20m on 3-4 players, particularly if Van Dijk goes for what is mooted.

[quote=“Nembo_Kid, post:16, topic:24113, full:true”].

I doubt we’ll do much better that Sviatchenko for back up or alternate centre half as generally defenders sit on the bench when a pairing is going well and you could tell he’s not to happy with being out of the team. If he goes we need replacing. We’ll probably have to replace Toure too.

Midfield isn’t a priority but I’d like a proper backup to Brown, someone who can help him out of the defensive side of the game. Armstrong and McGregor like to bomb forward, Rogic plays advanced, Bitton can sit but is powderpuff defensively although I do rate him and Kouassi we know little about. I think if something happens Brown we’ve nobody who can do his role.

2 wingers will be fine I and as you said one who could do a job up front would be great as well, although Sinclair has done that quite well when needed. Hopefully young Atchison might come on next year too.

I’d like to see us go for someone like Januzaj, his stock is low right now so it might be a good time to move. If we could get him for £5-6m I’d like to see us go for him, not sure how keen he would be but I think Rodgers could do really well with him, it would be a ballsy move but I think we can afford to spend about £20m on 3-4 players, particularly if Van Dijk goes for what is mooted.
[/quote]

I think we need to set our sights higher than backup for Brown. I agree that we’re in trouble if he gets injured but we’d cope domestically you’d think. We’d be better off concentrating our resources on one or two players who will knock others out of the team, rather than building up the squad. I think we’ve enough backup there - albeit imperfect in Brown’s case for example.

I see the Hayes links are intensifying, not really too keen on this one, Rodgers apparently worked with him before at Reading.

Yeah I mentioned that link above. If it’s just as a domestic option then I’m ok with it. He’s probably the best player in the league outside Celtic and I wouldn’t think he’d be much of a downgrade on Forrest for example. I’m also happy that we’re moving away from deploying the likes of Armstrong, McGregor, Christie etc out wide. Even Brown has played there in recent seasons and we’re much better off with natural wingers.

I think that’s the problem, he’s around the same level as Forrest, he turns 30 next month. If Sinclair picks up a long term injury then we’re very short particularly for Europe. We should be looking at two wingers in and around Roberts/Sinclair level.

Put 10m aside for that area.