☘ Celtic transfer window summer 2019

The last couple of transfer windows were disappointing. We used the non match day thread for those so reverting to a dedicated transfer window topic to change our fortunes.

Looks like Turnbull is on the way anyway:

Motherwell Football Club has reached an agreement with Celtic FC for the potential transfer of David Turnbull.

The academy graduate has been given permission to speak to the club. Should the deal go through, the value of the transfer will vastly exceed our previous record fee received.

We have rejected several seven-figure offers for David in recent weeks, with clubs the length and breadth of the UK speaking to us about him. It is clear from that the fee we stand to receive fully maximises his potential value.

We have continued to stand by what we believe is a fair value for David. In light of the negotiating stance we have adopted, the money we stand to receive will be transformational for us as we continue to operate as a fan-owned club.

Motherwell FC will make no further comment at this time.

1 Like

French centre back linked also:

Toulouse’s Christopher Jullien is coveted by Celtic Glasgow. The defender visited the premises of the champion of Scotland.

Christopher Jullien will soon have another experience after three seasons and 99 Ligue 1 matches with Toulouse.The central defender (26) is very fond of Celtic Glasgow, who appreciates his athletic profile (1.96m, 88kg). If he had not yet made a decision on his next destination, Jullien recently visited the infrastructure of the eight-time reigning Scottish champion.

Toulousain Alexis Blin makes a definite commitment with Amiens

To convince the leaders of the TFC, Celtic would have to pay an estimated sum between eight and ten million euros to complete the transfer of a player under contract until 2021.

Lot of talk about Ntcham going too.

Yeah. Some of it was nonsense based on him unfollowing people on Instagram which turned out to be completely made up.

But I doubt he was overly happy about the leaked document.

He has his off days and needs to be far more consistent but we struggle to attract players to play in Scotland and I’d be in no hurry to sell him unless it was an outrageous fee.

Here’s all of Turnbull’s 16 goals last season. Some record for a midfielder, never mind a teenager in his first season for a bottom half club.

Yeah, I’m not his biggest fan but when he’s tuned in he’s very good on the ball and he’s young. We’d find it very difficult to replace him with a like for like player for £7m or whatever was reported we were willing to take for him. Lennon doesn’t really seem to rate him too highly though.

On Turnbull, he certainly looks to have a lot of promise but I find it hard to get enthused by him, we’ve got McGregor, Brown, Christie, Rogic, Ntcham, Bitton at the minute. I don’t think he gives us anything they don’t.

Worrying that this looks to be the priority over the defence.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s prioritising. He’s easier to get done given he’s in Scotland and we’ve been obviously watching him all season. That French centre back looks very good but hard to know how realistic it is, though France Football is a fairly reliable source.

He looks to have two good feet and he’s more of a goalscorer than Ntcham, Bitton, Brown and McGregor too. We do need a replacement for Brown - but maybe that’s McGregor or Ntcham with two of Christie, Rogic and Turnbull playing a bit further forward. Our best performances this season came when we had Rogic and Christie ahead of McGregor but then we got injuries and our midfield performances dropped off badly.

Don’t know what it means for the other midfielders linked on cross-border “frees” - Harper and Connell.

I haven’t been too impressed with the links with Harper and Aribo. Connell at least looks to be a bit more versatile at least.

I’d be delighted with Turnbull. He’s the player John McGinn could have been.

Who’s this Connell?

Lustig also appears to be on his way.

1 Like

Is Connell the Irish chap who was in around the senior squad?

Luca Connell.

Never heard of him before he was selected in the squad for this double header.

Is it he, bhoys?

Yeah a young midfielder who can also play as a full back. Seems to have had a good season at Bolton. Awful hair.

:smiley:

Will Barry Coffey make the breakthrough next season?

How old is he now? I think he only featured off the bench for the reserve/development team at times last year and was still playing for his age grade side mainly. So I don’t think a breakthrough is imminent.

18 this year.

Hopefully he gets some bit of a look in during pre season

There seems to be a profile of player we are being heavily linked with:

English based, under 23 and expiring contract that can be picked up for a nominal fee.

In the last month we have had Harper, Aribo, Connell and Crowe linked with us on those grounds, might have been a few others too.

It’s the Joe Ledley and Adam Matthews model. About the only advantage in the transfer market from being in Scotland is the cross-border pickup of young players from England so it makes sense and surprising we didn’t use it more after the Welsh guys. We got Dembélé on the same deal and that turned out to be an excellent acquisition obviously.

I don’t much of those guys are up to much personally. Looks to be signing for the sake of signing. The two midfield lads don’t impress me.

Crowe and Connell look as though they might address area of concerns however.

there he is in front of Counihan