☘ Celtic transfer window summer 2019

Nope.

A tim?

A Catholic Motherwell supporter.

Celtic hemmed and hawed all summer about McGinn and only stumped up the price for him after Villa agreed terms. It’s well known McGinn’s first choice was Celtic.

Going on Twitter and publicly shaming a 19 year old is hardly the most endearing method of attracting players. It’s petty in the extreme, a bit like Celtic refusing to sell players to Hibs last season after they would not roll over and capitulate on their transfer fee demands.

It’s the biscuit tin mentality of Lawwell in full flow, how many more transfer gaffes is this clown going to involved in. He has a long history of treating good servants terribly, he ordered Balde to be froze out of the club, he had tried to cheapskate McNamara who had been an excellent servant and only attempted to pay him what he was worth (in vain) when he was on his way down the motorway to sign for another club. The McGinn saga was the principal reason for Rodger’s abrupt departure last season.

Peter Lawwell is poison and at the heart of everything wrong at the club right now. Thanks to him we now have a sham manager and will have zero chance of attracting any promising player.

It’s pointless debating transfers with you.

You want us to pay more for other players and accept lower bids for our players.

McGinn chose the mediocrity of the Championship over his beloved Celtic. Turnbull can try and do the same if he gets an offer. But last summer the criticism was that Celtic were too slow to get McGinn. They’ve been very quick in paying significant money for Turnbull but if the player wants to hold out for money then there isn’t a lot Celtic can do about that. And if he wants to try and generate interest with other clubs then it would be stupid to pay him more just because of that threat. His value is his value and we can’t pay him more than Ajer and the likes.

2 Likes

This is different to McGinn, I think.

Motherwell released a statement saying they’d accepted a bid from Celtic so that put it in the public domain to begin with.

He’s reportedly looking for GBP£20k per week via his agent. That’s excessive for his age/experience (30 odd games for Motherwell) and outside Celtic’s wage structure.

I’m indifferent about Celtic in turn going public about the status of negotiations.

1 Like

So you think that the reason we lost McGinn had nothing to do with Lawwell trying to lowball Hibs for 3 months rather than stump up and pay the price? What planet are you living on, by the time Celtic had agreed a fee with Hibs, McGinn had already being down in Birmingham, had a tour around the club and agreed on terms - Villa entered negotiations about 2 and half months after Celtic lodged their bid.

The manager a the time who you wouldn’t say a bad word about at the time, stated publicly his interest in the player and also publicly voiced his frustration with the Celtic board about not getting the deal done.

It’s typical of the embarrassments under Lawwell, anything to save a few quid. Look at the sham appointment of Lennon, the cheap and easy option.

The publicising of the whole Turnbull transfer is embarrassing, trying to shame a player publicly is hardly going to entice him into signing and certainly if the message you are sending out to the other targets is that you can’t even attract a 19 year old SPL player with one year of games under his belt…

As usual you are peddling the Lawwell line on this, I wonder how low Lawwell will have to bring this club to before you wake up and smell the coffee.

It’s not really outside our wage structure though. There is money there but the board don’t want to invest in the playing and management side of things. FFS we were rumoured to have gotten £7m for Rodgers in compensation.

I’m indifferent to Turnbull, I can take him or leave him but the whole thing is utterly embarrassing. Conducting transfer negotiations through Twitter and trying to shame a 19 year old into signing for shows Celtic in a tin pot light and would make any player think twice about signing for him.

They should not have publicised this information. It’s common place for clubs to announce they’ve agreed a fee for a player. It is not public knowledge for a club to announce they have made a fantastic offer to a player who has rejected it when negotiations are still ongoing.

I’m indifferent to the Turnbull signing but the optics of this are embarrassing, Celtic are becoming a laughing stock, that is the perception and it is hard to disagree with it. On top of the appointment of Lennon, can it really get anymore tinpot?

We offered him 12k plus bonuses according to Stephen McGowan. That’s plenty generous as far as I’m concerned. I’m not sure anyone in England will give him 20k either.

Turnbull is on less than €1k a week and is now looking for €20k. Celtic should tell him and his Agent to fuck off.

They did fuck up McGinn though and although I love Lennon, I don’t think he was the right call.

Even after 8 in a row it feels like the Fergus McCann days again. Then we were asking him to pay Cadete, Di Canio etc demands to stop the huns doing 10…now we are asking the board to spend money so we can achieve 10…

It’s gone 180 but the feelings nerves for next season are the same, this is after 8, fuck knows what it will be like next year if we win 9.

How long to champions league qualifiers?

3 weeks and nobody in?

5 Likes

So apparently Lennon wants Adam Matthews back. It’s like some sort of sick joke that gets worse and worse.

1 Like

What’s the source here? :eek:

Lustig is in Belgium to sign for Gent according to Scottish tabloids.

Turnbull still possible later this week.

Ntcham quoted as being open to going to Marseille.

Celtic back training yesterday. Some disgrace on the players. 10 days off for Forrest and McGregor.

Don’t think international players are back for another while.

I don’t believe the Matthews rumours are anything more than speculation in the Sun. The story was worded that “Celtic are believed to be considering approaching Adam Matthews…” I hope and assume there is no substance to it.

Breaking news: David Turnbull is now following The Celtic Bible on twitter. He has also removed a reference to being a Motherwell player in his twitter bio.

Turnbull deal is now off apparently.

Some shitshow.

How can Lawwell be trusted with transfers?

Nearly 10 players gone since the season end, a number of positions well overdue additions, players back in pre season and a the season kicking off in a few weeks and not one signing made.

Lawwell is as incompetent as he is greedy.