Celtic Transfers Summer 2014

Linked with young, tall Danish striker Simon Makienok from Brondby.

Scotsman interview with Ronny today where he says Watt was sold due to not possessing the desired attitude or levels of professionalism.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 991501, member: 2533”]+1

I’d willingly let Commons go if we got a bid of £3m or so.

This is a very difficult game tomorrow, I’d imagine Legia would be a lot stronger than any of the team Celtic drew under Lennon in the qualifying stages, big ask for Rocket Ronny and the Bhoys but hopefully we can do it.

What’s the team news? Stokesy available? I would stick with Pukki in any case, imagine the starting lineup wil be more or less the same as the last day.[/QUOTE]
Commons was fairly integral to how he played in Iceland. He possibly doesn’t fit the mould of the new team if he’s played centrally but I don’t think we should be selling him for anything like £3m. Not sure he’s worth more on the market but trying to replace his goals for £3m would be a very hard task.

I think his goal stats slightly inflate his importance, and he’s not as threatening in Europe. It’s not just that we create fewer chances, but his style of play means he is good in a dominant team and against naïve defences, but he’s not quite good enough on the ball to be a threat against better teams where he’s just like any average player on the continent.

But I don’t understand why anyone would be happy to sell him. It’s not like we’re reinvesting everything we make on transfers.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 991622, member: 1”]Commons was fairly integral to how he played in Iceland. He possibly doesn’t fit the mould of the new team if he’s played centrally but I don’t think we should be selling him for anything like £3m. Not sure he’s worth more on the market but trying to replace his goals for £3m would be a very hard task.

I think his goal stats slightly inflate his importance, and he’s not as threatening in Europe. It’s not just that we create fewer chances, but his style of play means he is good in a dominant team and against naïve defences, but he’s not quite good enough on the ball to be a threat against better teams where he’s just like any average player on the continent.

But I don’t understand why anyone would be happy to sell him. It’s not like we’re reinvesting everything we make on transfers.[/QUOTE]

As you said, Commons isn’t going to contribute greatly in Europe and we should stroll the domestic game with or without him. He is also the wrong side of 30 now and we should concentrate on giving a promising youngster like McGregor a chance.

But by that logic you could get rid of half the team and let them leave for nothing.

McGregor is getting chances at the moment, even with Commons there. He’s been ok but nowhere near as good as Commons yet. If we sold Commons to replace him with an exciting alternative that we bought then it might be justifiable. Selling him just because you don’t like him doesn’t make much sense given the huge contribution he has made to Celtic and the fact we don’t have anyone else who came close to matching his goal tally last season.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 991656, member: 1”]But by that logic you could get rid of half the team and let them leave for nothing.

McGregor is getting chances at the moment, even with Commons there. He’s been ok but nowhere near as good as Commons yet. If we sold Commons to replace him with an exciting alternative that we bought then it might be justifiable. Selling him just because you don’t like him doesn’t make much sense given the huge contribution he has made to Celtic and the fact we don’t have anyone else who came close to matching his goal tally last season.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think he fits in well with the team shape. He is inflexible and not good enough for us to alter the team dynamics to suit him which is what Lennon did last year. He is very poor at holding onto the ball when we are heavily pressed which will be a big problem in the games against the big European clubs.

I think the impasse of getting Commons at his best and Celtic as a team at their best are at odds with each other and given Commons age and reputation (in the context that as a senior player and top scorer he must play), it would be good for him to leave now for a reasonable fee. His departure wouldn’t stop us from winning the league or doing any better in Europe or playing a more fluid attractive brand of football.

Forster to Southampton for £10m.

Hope every penny is given to The Rocket.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 996786, member: 2533”]Forster to Southampton for £10m.

Hope every penny is given to The Rocket.[/QUOTE]
I believe just under £2m is due to Newcastle but it’s still a handsome profit that can and must be used to acquire players.

The trouble is they are trying to play champions league with, at best, championship players. The more mundane the squad gets, the harder it will be to sign good players, even if the money is there. Losing 6-1 fair and square to Warsaw won’t help them recruit players who genuinely want to compete at a high level.

Forster has joined Southampton for a fee believed to be £10m. Will we bother with a new keeper or just let Gordon and Zaluska fight out for it?

Not much on the transfer front with us which makes it all the more worrying. We are linked with a Cork City full back though.

What’s the reason we aren’t in action this weekend?

Reports that we will get Aleks Tonev on a season long loan from Villa are surfacing now. Very worrying if loan deals for EPL misfits is the best we can do.

We are also linked with Samaras and Del Piero.

Tonev was a target last summer of course, so he has been pursued before. No problem in us going after him if he’s just one of a few additions.

Griffiths linked with a loan to Hibs which I’d be happy with.

Tonev is a very frustrating player, shows flashes of good play but generally tries to do too much. I think there might be a decent player in there somewhere. He is known from his Bulgaria days as Atomic Strike. 99% of these end up in row Z unfortunately.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 997427, member: 1”]We are also linked with Samaras and Del Piero.

Tonev was a target last summer of course, so he has been pursued before. No problem in us going after him if he’s just one of a few additions.

Griffiths linked with a loan to Hibs which I’d be happy with.[/QUOTE]

Griffiths was a bizarre signing. I’d like to see Balde being loaned to a Championship side or SPL side and see what he can do with regular game time.

Agreed. We may as well loan Baldé as we won’t get anything for him. So send him off on loan somewhere he’ll get games and see if he can do anything. I have zero hope for him though.

Tonev is in Glasgow for a medical and his loan should be confirmed tomorrow providing everything goes well.

I’m ecstatic.

I’m happy enough with this. We thought highly of him last season and maybe a bit of confidence will do him good. Samaras was proof that loans to buy can work in our favour. Miku was evidence of this too, despite being the opposite effect.

I see the Legia owner has challenged us to a one-off game, we probably should accept but I doubt we will agree to it.

See Champions League thread.