Champions League 2017/18 - Matchday 1

Celtic-Paris Saint Germain, Barcelona-Juventus and Roma-Atletico Madrid are probably the pick of Tuesday night’s ties. Meanwhile TV3 are showing Manchester United-Basel live.

Brown and Simunovic both signed new Celtic deals today. Boyata, Sviatchenko and Dembélé remain unavailable for selection and Celtic have a huge problem at centre back with the first two absent.

They’ve gone with a back three at times in the SPFL as right back Lustig and left back Tierney can join Simunovic centrally. But they’re hardly going to play with a back three and go man for man against PSG’s front 3 of whatever combination of Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe and Di Maria.

Going with a back 4 means playing a converted midfielder (Bitton) or young 4th choice centre back (Ajer) in the middle alongside Simunovic or else shifting either Lustig or Tierney inside and playing a youngster right back (Ralston) or left back (Miller) or even chucking utility midfield man McGregor to left back.

We really needed to sign a centre back once yer man from South Africa failed his medical towards the end of August.

They’re actually going showing that shitfest ahead of Celtic-PSG?

Not an attractive game for the neutral by any means but Manchester United are the best supported club in Ireland by thousands.

wtf?

Barca vs Juve isn’t on live

One for the purist. Wasted on the Oirish.

1 Like

Roma and Atletico Madrid is one for the woof brigade and hipsters .

1 Like

None of the defensive options are particularly appealing. If we had just a lack of quality we could throw numbers at the problem and play 5 back there but we don’t have enough defenders to try that.

We’re not going to be passive according to Brendan, pal. He referenced the 7-0 away to Barca in matchday 1 last season when we went 5 at the back. We came roaring back in matchday 2 at home to Manchester City and had a good go in every game after that tentative/nervous opening day rout. I’d say we’ll give a good account of ourselves tomorrow - I think we should be able to command a decent share of possession and will have an attack minded approach / set up. Whether that leads to a good result is another matter.

We could still be attacking enough with a national back 5 with Tierney in particular pushing forward but we don’t have the centre backs to allow it.

I expect pedigree to win out and PSG to go home with a narrow loss.

5 Jockos?

1 Like

A rare typo from me.

I can confirm Griffiths is fit and available for tomorrow night.

Celtic press conferences :tv: :camera::shamrock: :four_leaf_clover:

Brendan:

Ntcham:

What pubs will I get this match on in Galway tomorrow, chaps?

I’d go with a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1. I don’t think it’s a case of Ntcham or Armstrong - I think both will play and we need Armstrong’s running power and penetration. A great stage for him to show why he deserves to be at Burnley next season. Young Ralston can have a go at quietening Neymar.

Gordon;
Ralston, Lustig, Simunovic, Tierney;
Ntcham, Brown, Armstrong;
Roberts, Griffiths, Sinclair.

McGregor, Forrest and Rogic the main bench options along with Bitton.

Talk seems to be that Ralston will be paying alright. I’d probably go with your selection but I’d be equally content to have McGregor instead of Armstrong.

The Sliding Rock opposite the hospital might have it on but don’t quote me on that. I think they have Celtic TV.

They showed the Champions League second round home qualifier against Astana last season.

1 Like

@Nembo_Kid - here you go. McGettigan’s have it.

http://www.mcgettigans.com/live-sports-galway/

1 Like

That was a qualifier game as you mentioned and not a tournament proper encounter. Celtic TV aren’t allowed to show actual Champions League games live. You’ll get live audio of Paul Cuddihy and Tom Boyd shouting inanities on Celtic TV though.

Do BT now show every game live like Sky used to ??

BT have their version of “redzone” back this season for the UCL.