Champions League 2023/24 Round of 32

Griezmann going off unsurprisingly. Hasn’t had a touch really.

1 Like

Rodgers generally shifts to 4-3-2 when down a man with a kind of split second striker & he sacrifices width. But we’re not playing the huns or Meadowbank Thistle here.

2 Likes

That’s (yet) another poor defensive header for that goal.

‘This is really threatening to get away from Celtic now’ says the lad on RTE2. 4-0 down with 20 mins left and down to 10 men. Safe to say it’s a bit of an understatement

3 Likes

The 3rd should have been ruled out for offside?

https://twitter.com/RjayCeltic/status/1722001700628623575?t=XEilKlNsapRPmsU5vIWZWQ&s=19

One rolled around and one didn’t.

If it stays as it is, Newcastles group is wide open

Ruben Loftus Cheek mightly impressive for AC Milan.

Jim Beglin has been on Up For The Match before so there could be an all Waterford banter section with John O’Shea.

Bertie Ahern and James Nesbitt sure to be in the Manchester United corner. Kevin Moran another banker to be on. They have us in the Celebrity Irish fans stakes I think.

We might have to be relying on the likes of Paul Howard, Declan Lynch, Joe McNally and Stevie From Killeavy. Barring them we might have to have the Cholesterol Brothers in the audience.

Marty would receive a warm welcome at the Ratoath Inn, though the Clonsilla Inn would be only mad to get that gig.

Not sure where them lot would go. Perhaps the Submarine Bar could be reopened for the night, or else Noctor’s.

1 Like

Morata not very helpful to the man making the security announcement there

Should be disallowed

Pep pulling the piss here now bringing on Doku

You’re just raging Lino got in ahead of the Celtic defender instead of it being another crap defensive header

Turnbull appealing for offside from behind the goal line. :roll_eyes:

This is the kind of embarrassment that renders the plucky displays in the first three games fairly meaningless.

Brendan Rodgers should have played the Ange offside trap after the sending off to flummox El Cholo

The gulf is too big really.

The competition is fairly pointless these days for Celtic. Maybe the changes next season might make for more meaningful games but at the moment it’s not much more than an embarrassment.

The order of fixtures didn’t really help our group chances and obviously the red cards fairly ruined our chances in two games. But the stupid errors were equally impactful.

We don’t really have a chance of third place now. But the first two games probably made that an inevitability anyway.

1 Like

In fairness with a couple of small breaks going their way Celtic could be on 6 points having beaten Lazio and Atletico at home. Definitely deserved more than a point from those two games anyway. The away performances have been miserable though. The 6-0 tonight was reminiscent of the 7-0 defeat to Barcelona (A) in Rodgers first season in 2016.

Yeah it’s pretty pointless for Celtic taking hidings & looking for crumbs to possibly sneak a third place parachute into the Europa League like when we finished ahead of Anderlecht in 2017 or whenever that was. But the business model of being very risk averse, hoarding cash & not having any debt hasn’t changed in 20 years…& football has. Repeating myself but they really needed to push the boat out & sign 2 or 3 players for £10mn+ each the summer just gone. The better clubs that buy young players, develop them & sell them on in Dutch, Portuguese leagues etc usually have a good mix of proven experienced players and lads in their prime too. We had a load of projects on the pitch over the piece tonight - Bernardo, Holm, Yang, Oh and so on - and the relatively experienced players we have aren’t all of the requisite quality. We’ve been crying out for a goalkeeper & left back for example. I’m not angry as I don’t get angry about professional football but I’m a tad irked & somewhat disillusioned.

Scales, Maeda and Palma all suspended for Lazio too. Oíche maith