Champions League 2023/24 Round of 32

I’m not sure if you saw recent Rodgers quotes from some roadshow thing which suggest we wanted more players with higher quality this summer but just couldn’t convince anybody. But easy to say now.

I’m sure the budget doesn’t help, but when you can’t offer transfer targets the prospect of SPL matches being shown on even a medium sized screen at the Ratoath Inn you’re facing an uphill battle.

We were linked with that Riquelme who played very well for them today in the Lennon II era. But I’d say we’re more at the Matt Doherty level of Atletico player these days.

We lacked quality everywhere tonight. The weaknesses at left back and goalkeeper might need addressing but our midfield was probably our biggest failing. Now we were stretched wide with the loss of Maeda but McGregor isn’t playing well this season. Hatate is out for a while and hasn’t been great. And O’Riley has been great but was given the runaround tonight. I think we need to invest in that area (as well as the others mentioned).

Agreed on the midfield. I specifically referenced keeper & left back but nobody should be a guaranteed starter & there’s not one area that couldn’t do with strengthening. If a top, top, top player can be snapped up then they should be signed no matter the position.

We have been lawelled

3 Likes

Hakan Ziyech at Galatassary on loan from Chelsea.

I always thought him a quality player and was surprised to see Chelsea continually trying to get rid of him.

He hasn’t got that change of pace to be a top winger in England. Lovely passer, he is a bit like Antony I think, if Antony cut out the shit. Is he playing no.10 for Galatasary?

Only for a broken fax machine or something he should be at PSG

No - more a right sided attacker.

1 Like

He is the type of clever and skilfull player Ireland are starting to produce underage now thank god.

Leandro Trossard scoring for Arsenal against Seville.

Another player who I think is very good and doesn’t see enough game time at Arsenal.

They play him as a 9? That’s not his position is it. Small little lad

Yeah - they seem to. False 9.

Lucky escape so

Scraping along getting an odd result thank god.

cc @briantinnion

Injuries a huge worry. They’re dropping like flies.

5th should get Champions League football this year and hopefully they have enough about them to scrape that.

1 Like

We hope & pray. Can only trust the process

Perennial Europa League kingpins Sevilla doing so badly in the Champions League that they’re struggling to qualify for their pet competition this year.

They may be routinely dogshit any time they’re in the Champions League but they still weren’t dogshit enough to not beat Manchester United in that competition when they faced them a few years back.

Saka is a great bit of stuff - you’d never see him acting like a scrote scuffing a penalty spot

Anyone catch Napoli’s disallowed goal?

Clearly not the goalkeeper.

2 Likes