Yes*

*No

1 Like

Was just Google mapping the sleeping rough options in Madrid there

The big park opposite the main railway station looks enticing

During the Olympics in London I stayed in a hostel run by an Irish guy

He asked me what I thought of the place

I diplomatically said ā€œitā€™s OKā€

He joked ā€œthe great thing about running a hostel is that peopleā€™s expectations are low - as long as theyā€™re not raped they donā€™t complain about the placeā€

8 Likes

No offence but, Iā€™d be very confident no one will rape you

They should really have switched venues from Madrid to somewhere like Villa Park.

2 Likes

True, didnā€™t they change the location of the Europa League Final to Baku so itā€™s a similar distance for participants from London and Moscow.

1 Like

So would I but thatā€™s only due to the impeccable behaviour of Liverpool supporters when they go abroad

I suppose if youā€™re going to get raped by a rival supporter a Tottenham supporter would be the least worst outcome as at least theyā€™re circumcised

1 Like

Thatā€™s Retiro Park isnā€™t it? Some place for lads whistling at you trying to sell you drugs. Iā€™d say itā€™s a right spot at night time for activities.

I donā€™t know, Iā€™ve never been to Madrid before

Hopefully I donā€™t get permanently retired there

Could you not just go on the 24 hour lash?

Could @anon32894817 not sort you out?

Thatā€™s pretty much what Iā€™m planning to do though itā€™ll be more like a 16 hour lash as I donā€™t arrive into Madrid until 5pm on Saturday - staying in Valencia and getting the train into and out of Madrid, going back to Valencia the following morning

Train takes just under two hours so should be back in Valencia by not long after 11am on Sunday

Doing Dublin - Paris - Valencia - Madrid - Valencia - Girona - Cork

Total transport and accommodation works out at a little over ā‚¬450

Out Thursday morning
Back Monday night

Munster eat your heart out

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice trip, probably more fun than just flying into Madrid. The highlight of a lot of holidays is reading your book on a train, even better than spewing it bareback into some drunken local dose, less risky also.

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

Yeah

Have a full day and morning in Paris

If youā€™re bored of Paris youā€™re bored of life

Then an evening to explore Valencia which Iā€™ve been to before for the Fallas and is a great city - am staying right in the centre of it too

Nice lie in the next morning - train isnā€™t until 3pm

Probably spend Sunday sleeping, mind

Will have a few hours in Barcelona on the Monday

Get into Cork 22:15 on Monday

Might have a few pints in the city

Bus back to Dublin at 1 or 2am

Then back to Galway Tuesday

I like to do a few different things on these trips

Last one I had was to Denmark for the play-off

Went through Hamburg on the way out partly because it was cheaper but also because I had a fascination with being on a train that went onto a ferry as the Hamburg-Copenhagen one does

Then the day after the match went across to Sweden on the Oresund bridge - I like big bridges

Saw the mermaid and Christiania and went to a couple of bodegas - theyā€™re small local Danish pubs

Came back through Edinburgh, had seven or eight hours to kill between flights and climbed Arthurā€™s Seat and had a deep fried Mars Bar and chips to recover after Iā€™d descended it

Gourmet fare Scotch style

When I was a kid I went on a few away trips like Anfield 1995 and Belgium 1997 but it was straight to a coach bus and back to the airport after those - very utilitarian and not very enjoyable

5 Likes

OutstandingšŸ‘

1 Like

Where you staying & how much is it setting you back?

Staying in Valencia - have three nights booked in a hotel there Fri-Sat-Sun but wonā€™t be sleeping there Sat obviously

ā‚¬172 for the three nights there but there is cheaper accommodation to be had also in the city

Accommodation in Madrid on the Saturday night is ridiculous - well over ā‚¬300 for a bunk in a dorm is the cheapest

Means that unless youā€™re willing to fork out stupid money or know somebody who can put you up for the night in Madrid, the only way of doing it is by basing yourself in a city or town within striking distance, commuting into Madrid on the day, then pulling an all-nighter and getting a train back to your base at 8 or 9 the next morning

If youā€™re looking at going Salamanca is another option - itā€™s about 130 miles west of Madrid but has very cheap accommodation and good train links

Santiago de Compostela airport seems to have reasonably cheap flights from Ireland - may have changed now though with prices going up

Canary Islands are even an option and then a domestic flight back to mainland Spain

Certianly helps if you have a few days to play around with though - very difficult to arrange a Friday in Sunday out trip for reasonable money at this stage

2 Likes

Lot of trouble to go and support a british team.

1 Like