Champions League Matchday 1

Celtic really are pish.

Flano wrote:

Here’s why I listed them, the one thing that matters

Well done Flano. Brilliant reasoning. If you can’t explain it, use a smiley. No point even debating that with you, you clearly know nothing about soccer. Even if money was the sole determinant of a big club why would you then exclude Shakhtar Donetsk? You see if you’re going to be pointlessly illogical about it, at least try and be consistent with yourself.

Rocko. I know everything about football and everything else. Money is the sole determinant of life, not just football.

It’s you who clearly knows nothing about “soccer” considering you think Celtic are actually a good team. Supporting a team and being able to admit if they are good or bad is something the Shelthick fans on here seem incapable of doing. Big fish small pond…

you follow bohs -says it all

FingalRaven wrote:

Id suppose if you thought like an English/Italian/Spainish football fan then you might consider them a small team

I would have thought this would be obvious. These are the leagues whose teams who dominate the last 4 of this competition every year, so they’re obviously the yardstick to which other teams will be judged. That’s my line of thinking anyway. I can of course see why Celtic are looked upon as a big team (mainly by their own) but even Celtic fans have to admit that with Scotland being a two-team goldfish bowl, comparisons to teams with similar attendance figures (Newcastle?) but without a history of winning trophies, are problematic.

Yeah and Bohs havent exactly being setting the world on fire have they. I’ve never seriously said they were going to win the Champions league or somehing ridiculous like that. Most of what I say about my teams is pure posturing. In the case of Man Utd they genuinely have a chance of winning the champions league but in all honesty I don’t expect them too.

Sledgehammer wrote:

FingalRaven wrote:

[quote]
Id suppose if you thought like an English/Italian/Spainish football fan then you might consider them a small team

I would have thought this would be obvious. These are the leagues whose teams who dominate the last 4 of this competition every year, so they’re obviously the yardstick to which other teams will be judged. That’s my line of thinking anyway. I can of course see why Celtic are looked upon as a big team (mainly by their own) but even Celtic fans have to admit that with Scotland being a two-team goldfish bowl, comparisons to teams with similar attendance figures (Newcastle?) but without a history of winning trophies, are problematic.[/quote]

just find it strange that an Irishman judges a club that is way bigger than anything we have here as small. I suppose you can idolise the G14 as its your perrogative but the G14 are ruining football.It will soon be a franchise driven sport .Thank God for Porto & Ajax winning the CL in the last 10-15 years as football is set up to help the big 4 nations- I suppose you can see that its wrong to have football like that or you can ignore it & have a shallow affection for teams in the big 4 countries (gerradino farmer etc) . Thats why Rosenberg doing well last night is so good.Imn regards to Shaktar they spent 40 million in the summer- have a large fanbase & ground & are strong domestically- makes them big in my eyes

Franchise driven? How dare clubs make money. Shame on them

not quite what i said flango

FingalRaven wrote:

Sledgehammer wrote:

[quote]FingalRaven wrote:

[quote]

I would have thought this would be obvious. These are the leagues whose teams who dominate the last 4 of this competition every year, so they’re obviously the yardstick to which other teams will be judged. That’s my line of thinking anyway. I can of course see why Celtic are looked upon as a big team (mainly by their own) but even Celtic fans have to admit that with Scotland being a two-team goldfish bowl, comparisons to teams with similar attendance figures (Newcastle?) but without a history of winning trophies, are problematic.[/quote]

the G14 are ruining football.It will soon be a franchise driven sport .[/quote]

Shocking developments

Flano wrote:

FingalRaven wrote:

[quote]60000 fans every 2nd week & european success befor suggests they are not

Bohs are a small team - portadown are a small team - eintracht triers are a small team -Shaktar are not

Kajagoogoo.

[/quote]

Too shy to shy, hush hush, eye to eye!

gerrardno1 wrote:

Flano wrote:

[quote]60000 fans every 2nd week & european success befor suggests they are not

Bohs are a small team - portadown are a small team - eintracht triers are a small team -Shaktar are not

Kajagoogoo.

[/quote]

Too shy to shy, hush hush, eye to eye![/quote]

Banter. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/Flano/woohoo.gif

FingalRaven wrote:

I suppose you can see that its wrong to have football like that or you can ignore it & have a shallow affection for teams in the big 4 countries (gerradino farmer etc) . Thats why Rosenberg doing well last night is so good.

Is you supporting Rosenberg not shallow?

Bandage wrote:

A terribly disappointing night for Celtic and a reality check if ever there was one. Sure we’re probably the slickest passing side in Europe on our day but we’re not consistently the best side in the continent as of yet.

Christ almighty.
I’ve only read this now. I’ll need medication to stop laughing.

i dont support Rosenberg- just glad they got a great away point- gives all small footballing clubs hope

FingalRaven wrote:

Sledgehammer wrote:

[quote]

just find it strange that an Irishman judges a club that is way bigger than anything we have here as small. I suppose you can idolise the G14 as its your perrogative but the G14 are ruining football.It will soon be a franchise driven sport .Thank God for Porto & Ajax winning the CL in the last 10-15 years as football is set up to help the big 4 nations- I suppose you can see that its wrong to have football like that or you can ignore it & have a shallow affection for teams in the big 4 countries (gerradino farmer etc) . Thats why Rosenberg doing well last night is so good.Imn regards to Shaktar they spent 40 million in the summer- have a large fanbase & ground & are strong domestically- makes them big in my eyes[/quote]

I wouldn’t argue with a lot of that, and I’ve no love for the Gee14, just saying it as it is.

So who agrees with Flango that franchises wouldn’t be bad for the sport?

I don’t, Raven doesn’t, Sledgehammer doesn’t (I don’t think). Gerry?

But just how opposed are we to franchises lads?

Make sure to e-mail Delaney about this shower of chancers

Yesterday’s Evening Herald wrote:

New Fingal City Club On The Cards

Fingal County Council is on the point of agreeing an exciting new partnership with a consortium to build a 10,00 seater stadium and help set up a brand new eL club - Fingal City.

Negotiations have been under way for some time with a group keen to tap into the big swate of Fingal residents who have established homes in the area during the economic boom years and it is thought that ex Hoop Liam Buckley is heading the bid.

It seems that the project is at an advanced stage and has recieved tacit approval from all the major parties and could be under way by Christmas.

A new stadium in Fingal would add yet another planned facility along the M50 corridor to Bohemians new home in Swords, the Government’s plans for Abbotstown and of course, the stalled Shamrock Rovers/SDCC community venue in Tallaght.

therock67 wrote:

So who agrees with Flango that franchises wouldn’t be bad for the sport?

I don’t, Raven doesn’t, Sledgehammer doesn’t (I don’t think). Gerry?

Look. Just because I’m right doesnt mean everyone else has to be wrong.

Go Yankees

Happy with the win tonight despite playing awful poor the first 60 minutes. Carrick and Giggs were the main offenders giving the ball away cheaply. Great move for the goal. I swear I said to a mate “Oh Brown is going to fook it up with a crappy ball” but for once it was excellent and Ronaldo great diving header and great respect for the Sporting Fans. Saha reallly should have made it 2 with one of the chances he got. Roma won as well. Cant wait to see that match as I will making the trip over to Manchester in 13 days time.