Champions League Round of 16

Two hundred million sorry.

1 Like

Liverpool were woeful and won 2-0. City, Liverpool, PSG and Bayern only teams with chance for me.

Nett is all that’s worth anything apparently.

Seething……

1 Like

how have united fared in the knockout phases on the last 2 champions leagues?

If A patched up inter Milan side consisting of free transfers and a few nobody’s can play Liverpool off the park I doubt very much Real Madrid, psg, Bayern, Chelsea or Man City would be too worried about meeting them.

Chelsea have done City a few times since TT took over. You’d feel after a mid season rest they’ll come back strong. Don’t think any team will fancy them.

The current Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea sides must be 3 of the most boring teams of their quality of all time.

2 Likes

I don’t see any continental teams having much chance of winning this tournament. Ajax might be the standout continental team in the competition. The rest are either a circus like PSG or bloated and past it like Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Atleti Woof.

I don’t see much of a future for any of the big continental leagues. They’re either irrelevant like Serie A which has become a sort of football equivalent of golf’s Seniors Tour, or relying on monied superclubs which have turned their leagues into processions.

Norwich would probably beat Real Madrid at the moment.

If only United had another €500m to spend, I feel like they are really on the cusp of something

1 Like

European Champions League has been boring for 2 decades . Big money in big leagues.

The FA Cup has been far more entertaining this season than the CL

They weren’t up against much but I thought PSG looked fairly solid the other night. Messi was terrible but I think it remains to be seen whether that was just a bad game or if he’s actually finished. Him being in the middle rather than on the wing doesn’t leave them as exposed defensively either. Mbappe is probably the best player in the competition also and now they have good players in every position rather than in the past where they would always be carrying one or two.

I would expect them to trounce Real Madrid in the second leg but they’ll be pulled apart by the first good team they play against.

The Champions League knockouts were incredibly exciting until the last couple of years

My sources in France say poch isn’t picking the team and neymar will come back in for di Maria which will unbalance things again.

They really weren’t it was the same clubs playing musical chairs . The Ajax cameo was a precursor to team being dismantled

Some amazing ties.

Liverpool - Barcelona
Liverpool - Roma
Manchester City - Tottenham
Liverpool - Manchester City
Ajax - Tottenham
Manchester City - Monaco

The 2020 mini-tournament was terribly boring however.

At the moment the tournament seems to be running on life support, a bit like rugby’s European Champions Cup - but at least European rugby is based on two dominant leagues rather than one, while it also has the spice of having the Irish teams competitive. The Champions League will need an all-Premier League line up in the semis to sustain mass interest.

1 Like

Must be why the United players are lobbying for him to get the job.

Just as an example the 2019 Champions League knockouts was probably one of the most exciting tournaments in anything ever

Ajax vs Real Madrid/Juventus/Tottenham
Atletico Juve
Man Utd PSG
Tottenham Man City
Barcelona Liverpool

All in one season

4 Likes

I heard Miguel Delaney saying that today alright.