Champions League Round of 16

Thereā€™s something glorious about a Pepe or a Ramos going down but going down swinging.

I was disappointed with Jude Bellingham in general last week but was delighted to see him try start a mass brawl in the closing moments when the game was gone.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a brilliant header by Osimhen.

1 Like

Napoli are playing unreal stuff at the moment. Have the league wrapped up so can focus on Europe. I think theyā€™re serious contenders for this

Love to see them do it, the mad cunts

1 Like

Me too. Love Naples. Mental place

I think Luka Modric is my second favourite player ever. Itā€™ll be a sad day when he hangs up the boots.

2 Likes

The ref showing mercy to the outclassed scouse there.

1 Like

Heā€™s a better player than either Xavi or Iniesta and I never thought Iā€™d say that. Better temperament and defensively. Never panics.

1 Like

Napoli joining the two Milan teams in the last 16. First time Serie A has had three left in it since 2006.

1 Like

@Fulvio would be welling up with pride. Napoli look very good. The two Milan clubs are limited enough but fortunate with the draw.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. The Italyanā€™s are coming again.

Hope Napoli win it.

Great point . Also if you looked at the history of the European cup through random sampling. Pick different periods at random, maybe 1960s then 88-96 (golden era) then the present day from late 2022 til present, youā€™d see italian teams have always been the strongest in europe.

1 Like

That Georgian lad Napoli have must be worth a fortune. Would love to see them do it before the team gets ripped apart

1 Like

Heā€™s some player alright. Love watching him play.

1 Like

I canā€™t remember how Napoli got on in the European cups of 88 and 91? Who beat them?
91 Marseille beat the great Milan team with Chris waddle scoring when the lights went out in the velodrome. Red star won it out. 88 also had two ordinary teams in final, PSV didnā€™t even win a game in 90 mins from the quarter final on afaik.
Like Everton in 86 youā€™d feel- missed opportunities

Stuttgart i think knocked them out one year.

Real Madrid beat them in either the first or second round in 1987/88 I think it was the first round. Real Madrid also played reigning champions Porto in one of the first two rounds and beat them. Silvio Berlusconi looked at this and wasnā€™t happy that three of the biggest teams were coming up against each other early in the competition and this became the genesis of the Champions League.

Spartak Moscow knocked Napoli out in 1990/91, Iā€™m sure it was on penalties in the second round which was the Round of 16.

PSV were actually terrible winners looking back on it. They won it the season after Ruud Gullit had left.

1 Like

Napoli beat Stuttgart in a uefa cup final. A young Klinsman was playing

I knew youā€™d know. PSV beat Real later on

I think Real Madrid had to play the home leg against Napoli behind closed doors which makes it look worse for Napoli that they lost. I think it was as punishment for a guy called Juanito (who was later killed in a car crash) stamping all over Lothar Matthausā€™s face and head in the previous seasonā€™s quarter-final when Munich stamped all over Madrid on the scoreboard.

Madrid beat Napoli, Porto and Bayern Munich in 87/88 and were surely the best team in the competition but lost out to a single PSV away goal in the semi-final in a 1-1 aggregate.