Champions League Round of 16

A bad night for Italian footix. Italian club football is dead.

I always find it quite humorous the lads talking into their shirts with the jersey pulled over their face like they’re general giving out instructions

Yes I’m a footix selfishgiant

Great result for FC Sherriff.

Some win for Sherriffer. Noctor’s will be heaving tonight.

1 Like

Early days still but Sheriff Tiraspol and Liverpool look to be the two teams to beat.

4 Likes

It’d be a box office final in Leningrad.

Some lad on the Guardian podcast did about 10 minutes explaining how Sheriff get their sponds, and why they exist etc. Mad stuff.
Short version. They are based in Transnistra which is a wantaway Russian enclave within Moldova. They don’t consider themselves Moldovan and the team are basically the rallying point for all Transistors, something like Barcelona on steroids.
They are called Sheriff because they are sponsored by Sheriff, who are basically a private company that run Transnistra owned by two ex KGB agents. They can do what they want there and influence elections through their TV stations and telephone companies etc so the Moldovan governments have tended to turn a blind eye. They are billionaires and they built them a new stadium and fire money at them. Mad shit
They were only founded in 97 and have won 19 titles since their first one in 00/01

2 Likes

Informative. My next door neighbour is a Moldovan woman. I must ask her about this.
Her husband is French. He backed up my Google research that Moldova is a bleak, poor country.

Ya, my missus worked with a Moldovan woman. From her stories it sounded fairly depressing. Semi failed state

I am well versed in this part of the world.
Transnistria will have its freedom from the Moldovian overlords pigs, mark my word

5 Likes

Vlad will set them free

Moldova is basically Romania, except the part on the other side of the Dniester. Transnistria is one of a series of what the Russians call “frozen conflicts”. Basically Russia wants to permanently occupy parts of former Soviet countries in order to hold them back economically and stop them ever joining the EU or NATO.

A team wins a soccer match and suddenly a load of experts on Moldova pop up. Lang balls

5 Likes

It’s more interesting to read than 99% of the stuff written about the matches themselves on here

I don’t think anyone has claimed to be an expert yet mate

I’d like to declare myself an expert on all things Moldovan

13 Likes

Hence him calling the people who wrote it experts.

I went out with a hippy chick from Portland in my youth who was on a 4 month visa. After her visa was up she signed up for the Peace Corp in America who they stationed her in Chisanua in Moldovia so she could be closer to me. I was living in Dublin at the time.
I never saw her again but still have her handwritten letters from Moldova, there was no facebook that time

1 Like

A Romanian province under Russian rule.