Charlie (containing yet another tfk exclusive)

one thing for sure is that if the banks went bust when Charlie had been in charge he would have burnt the bondholders

Nice to see you setting old civil war politics aside and giving credit where due, mate.

:eek:

Blue face from the Blueshirt. How twee.

[QUOTE=“halfforward, post: 1072477, member: 2890”]The problem I have with it is I think it’s poorly casted. Haughey would have been 56/57 in 1982. He looks too young, the accent is lost every now and again. He also comes across a bit “lavender”.
PJ Mara comes across totally camp mostly due to Nidge also trying to act older.
Lenihan, Doherty are the country bumkins.
McSharry, O Malley and Gregory come out of it alright.
I can’t figure out who your man hiding in the jacks is meant to be.

I thought the first night was woeful so yeah, last nights was better.
The funniest thing is the Mrs thinks she is into it because of the love hate crew but hasn’t a bull’s notion what’s happening in it. :)[/QUOTE]

I thought it was cast a bit young too, particularly in the first episode, but actually it’s not that far off. Gillen is about five years off the age of Charlie in episode one. It’s the others I felt were too young. But Colley, Doherty, Lenihan, Bertie, Mara, McCreevey are all in and around the right age. I think part of it is that you think of them as older because seemed a lot older when you were young, if you get me.

I think Gillen is very good as Charlie.

Doubtful as it would have meant no more dining at Mitterand’s table on Franch avian delicacies.

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=“Juhniallio, post: 1072679, member: 53”]I thought it was cast a bit young too, particularly in the first episode, but actually it’s not that far off. Gillen is about five years off the age of Charlie in episode one. It’s the others I felt were too young. But Colley, Doherty, Lenihan, Bertie, Mara, McCreevey are all in and around the right age. I think part of it is that you think of them as older because seemed a lot older when you were young, if you get me.

I think Gillen is very good as Charlie.[/QUOTE]

He is a decade too young for last nights programme and looks more.

An awful pity they didn’t stretch it out a bit. There is definitely a cracking series there.

If you watched it as say an English person or even an Irish person with no real political knowledge you wouldn’t have a fucking notion what was going on.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1072835, member: 332”]An awful pity they didn’t stretch it out a bit. There is definitely a cracking series there.

If you watched it as say an English person or even an Irish person with no real political knowledge you wouldn’t have a fucking notion what was going on.[/QUOTE]

That’s the real shame. There’s enough there to really dig into a range of the characters over a couple of years - you’d get a show out of each heave etc. could have started much earlier too.

Second thing for sure: If Charlie had been in power we’d never have heard of the Bishop Casey issues…

Isn’t that footage of the younger Bertie just magic. The fact (infacta!!) that that scruffy young touslehead could become such a statesman is a tribute to Bertie and by extension ourselves as a nation and a people that nothing is impossible. Yes, Yes we can…

Get your coat time…

like a lot of Irish TV - the issue is budget. If this is a success ratings wise and it seems to be then we might see something in the future but there is little money in Irish TV and the appeal of a series like this is limited to Ireland really

How long is this mini-series?

Just 3 episodes

I made that joke on another Haughey thread nearly a week ago. :mad:

[QUOTE=“Juhniallio, post: 845064, member: 53”]RTE are beginning shooting on a new dramatisation based on the king of Kinsealy. Aidan Gillen is to play the charvet covered shyster.

The role of Bertie the young upcoming cunt will be played by lapsed poster Nemesis. Nemesis’ family are reportedly furious at him for accepting the role.[/QUOTE]

I know the family and am not surprised by the reaction. Apparently they benefitted hugely from the rainbow coalition (as I think has been suggested elsewhere, something involving a planning decision) in the mid 90s and they know what side their bread is buttered

I think it could have global appeal if done properly.
Power, corruption, sex, a fascinating time in world politics, etc.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1073226, member: 332”]I think it could have global appeal if done properly.
Power, corruption, sex, a fascinating time in world politics, etc.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so. It’s not as if being Taoiseach is a big job globally.

[ATTACH=full]2199[/ATTACH]