Cheltenham Day 2 Tips and Discussion

Cheltenham Day 2

1.30 Ballymore – Closutton hold a strong hand here with Impaire Et Passe, Gaelic Warrior and Champ Kiely all engaged. Impaire Et Passe won the Moscow Flyer impressively on his last start. Probably did not beat an awful lot but could not have been more impressive on the eye. Champ Kiely probably brings the best form having won the Lawlors of Naas on his last start, which traditionally is a great trial for this race. Gaelic Warrior won the valuable two mile handicap at DRF.

I like this year’s Challow winner Hermes Allen. He has yet to come off the bridle and has won over course and distance in November. He jumps very slickly. His form is solid and he looks decent value now against the Mullins brigade.

2 .05 Brown Advisory – No two ways about it, but this looks a sub standard renewal. I can’t believe that the Real Whacker is as short as he is. You can make cases for many of the runners but ultimately you wont go wrong backing the best horse and one with most potential, namely Gerri Colombe. He is unbeaten in seven starts under rules. On his last run, he won the Grade 1 Scilly Isles at Sandown. That was a good test and the extended 3m trip should just play further to his strengths.

2.50 Coral Cup – Last year I strongly fancied Camprond. The ground went against him at the Festival but he still managed to finish fourth. He won well at Punchestown on his final start that year, relishing the better ground. The stable has been under a cloud much of this year, but is going better of late. He went chasing this year, but that plan was soon aborted. After a couple of efforts over an inadequate trip, his mark has dropped two pounds versus 140 at this time last year. With a clear round and on better ground, he must go close.

3.30 Champion Chase – Again, a race that looks more open than what it appeared at the start of the year. The champion, Energumeme ran a lacklustre effort in the rearranged Clarence House. There looks to be plenty of pace on in this race, with Gentlemen De Mee, Editeur Du Gite and Energumene all likely to be in the vanguard. This race is set up for a closer, with last year’s Arkle winner, Edwardstone best placed to take advantage. He looks an improved horse this year, winning the Tingle Creek on his first start. He lost little in defeat in the Clarence House as he was ridden to beat Energumene there, and forgot about the winner until it was too late. I’d expect him to sit just off the pace this time and come through with a winning challenge approaching the last, in similar style to his Arkle triumph last year.

4.10 Cross Country – Looks a two horse race between the Elliott pair of Tiger Roll and Galvin. The latter was winning grade 1s last year and was fancied for last year’s Gold Cup. It’s hard to believe that he does not retain enough ability to win this, assuming he takes to the obstacles.

4.50 Grand Annual – Horses who have run well in this race have a habit of coming back and doing the same in subsequent runs. Andy Dufresne ran in this off 155 last year and was one of the gambles of the Festival. He just came up short. Off the same mark again, he must go close to redemption. Editeur Du Gite who is one of the leading fancies for the Champion Chase was fourth in the race, which puts the form into context.

5.30 – Champion Bumper – As usual, Willie Mullins dominates the entries with Its For Me, the market favourite. He was visually very impressive in his sole bumper at Navan. By far and away the best form in the race comes from John Kiely’s A Dream To Share, who now runs in JP’s colours. He won the best trial for this at the DRF. He looks very difficult to beat, especially granted a decent surface. The runner up, Fact To File, would represent some ew value, should the ground turn testing.

12 Likes

@fenwaypark has your opinion changed on any of the above.

We go again!

I’m warming to Captain Guinness for the Champion Chase as a massive outsider.

@Mac talk me out of it

No. Think Hermes is a massive price now. Hope rains stays away for Kielys in bumper.

2 Likes

Give me a few hours

2 Likes

It’s pissing down in Cheltenham again

That ground drains like a motherfucker. It’s only soft if it rains constantly that day

Any bit of give and Icare Allen is a massive player

Gaelic Warrior now available at 13/2. Good price now.
Sir Gerhard 2 from 2 at Cheltenham. At 6/1 I think he will upset the fav.
A bit of a wild one with Scaramanga in the Coral Cup over 100/1 on the exchanges. Willie has improved horses coming from Nicholls before.
Energumene in the champion
Delta work
Andy Dufresne in the Grand Annual
Its For Me the nap of the meeting at 6/1 in the bumper. Won on testing ground at Navan and has a great turn of foot. Happy to see Townend on board.

2 Likes

They don’t seem to be contemplating defeat for fact or file in the bumper

They weren’t contemplating defeat for Facile today either

1 Like

Showed a clip on the news there of the gates opening today and auld lads literally sprinting in. Where are they heading for?

The turn of foot Its For Me showed in his point win and in his bumper was very impressive. I hope Townend does not sit too far back early on. I backed him at 33 and 25 after you put him up here before he ran in his bumper.

The Guinness village

2 Likes

Your man munir and the other fella make McCoy look like a class clown. They don’t seem too bothered at all.

A table and seat in the cottage rake or golden miller

1 Like

Icare Allen is some price tomorrow imo

1.30 - I think Hermes Allen and Impaire En Passe are a good bit ahead of the rest. Connell’s one is way too short and I think he should be sent to the Albert Bartlett and will be more a stayer in time. I’m more impressed with the form of the horses Hermes Allen has beaten so siding with him. Looks a right machine of a horse.

2.10 - I really like Gerri Colombe and would love to see him win for Gainford. I couldn’t back him at his current price. The Real Whacker is short on class but looks the only one who could give the favourite a fright. Willies mob look very weak.

2.50 - An Epic Song looks well lined up like Fastorslow this year and last. A bit too short for me though without knowing how good he is. HMS Seahorse went very well here last year in the Fred Winter and seems to relish the extra trip. My eye was drawn to Fil Dor but I’m gonna land on Beacon Edge as the Graded horse in a handicap theory with a potential generous mark and a jockey riding out of his skin.

3.30 - Can’t have Willies on this track. Was gifted the race last year. Edwardstone showing some cracks on last 2 runs. I like the Moore horse. 3 time winner around the track. Won’t get it as easy as the last day but I’m happy to take a punt with him. It looks an awful Queen Mother relative to other years though

4.10 - A fuckin hames of a race. Galvin or Delta Work will win and I couldn’t be backing either of them.

4.50 - Dads Lad looks very well treated and my most likely bet. Global Citizen seems a mad price considering he’s only 3lbs higher and like trained for this all year.

5.30 - Its for me. Simples.

5 Likes

Final Orders runs in the Grand Annual now I note. The connections were bullish last week and I doubt they’ve changed since. Now 9/2 from 5/1. I’m on.

1 Like