Cheltenham Day 4 Tips and Discussion

1 Like

Going to thurles tomorrow :racehorse:

1 Like

Hope yez made a few quid lads. A savage week. Wednesday was costly and a drunken bet on Maskada saved me.

Magical Zoe getting up would have been the icing on the cake. That one still frustrates me. Fair enough if she was beaten on merit but it was an awful ride.

Anyway, onto next. Sir Gerhard for the World Hurdle, Barry The Butcher for the Ballymore and Its On The Line for the Foxhunters :joy:

14 Likes

American Mike at 50s for the 4 miler Is value.

Banbridge for his next day out

3 Likes

Inothewayurthinkin Aintree

Ah fuck it. Had forgotten about this.

3 Likes

Would you draw a line through Ballyadam and chance a claim?

19 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Brilliant week. Enjoyed the racing regardless of results but some lovely winners.

A few observations:

• Bar the big races Id stay away from ante-post, particularly accums in Cheltenham going forward - the ground and jockeys make a huge difference. I felt Davy Russell struggled this week and I cant imagine it was easy. Additionally a lotr of winners went ouut in price on the day
  • I might be wrong but much of the DRF form went out the window this time round. A big surprise for me in a few races actually.
  • Gordon’s stock has dropped a lot on review…whether its the horses I dont know but one or two were extremely poor.
  • Willie won the 3 big chases in my view but beyond that he must be frustrated…in one or two races his horses were nowhere.
  • Really looking forward to next year and as much the next 12 months of prep.
3 Likes

Jack Kennedy was a massive blow to Gordon. He would have gotten Geri up and as you said Davy was very poor.

I think envoi Allen in the ballymore was the last time Gordon won either a grade 1 novice hurdle or grade one novice chase.

That’s 3 years in a row and 9 races he’s drawn a blank. If you aren’t competing in these races you’ll struggle to compete with Willie, Henry and Nicky in the open races.

It was a huge week for Nichols. I get the sense this is the start of the comeback.

1 Like

My own observations.

I enjoyed these few days immensely. I did no accumalators or lucky 15s or Super Heinzes. I did one double that didn’t pay. These bets are a sure fire way of draining money out of your account over a festival like this.

I stuck to a regime of small stakes each way bets (win only under 5/1). Mostly higher priced horses. Did 28 bets 12 came in in some shape or form. One was voided , that De Bromhead horse that wouldn’t run in the second last. Came in nicely ahead, not extravagantly so.

The tipping here from the knowledgeable horsey set is off the charts and makes this festival very enjoyable.

25 Likes

On that last point, @Mac @fenwaypark @BruidheanChaorthainn are something else amongst many othera on here…

And I’ll put money down now that ye will have Aintree figured too

8 Likes

When I won a packet on the grand national when One for Arthur came in at 14/1 a few years ago, Powery who is a knowledgeable horsey chap asked me somewhat quizzically how the fuck had I picked that. I was too embarrassed to tell him that I had got a tip off of @fenwaypark off of the INTERNET and told him I stuck a pin in the newspaper. He was ok with that.

11 Likes

Aintree has been a graveyard for me in recent years apart from Noble Yeats and Minella Times. I think The Shunter has a massive chance this year and will bet accordingly but aside from that I’ll try to keep stakes very small.

The other one for Aintree I’ll weigh into is Fakir D’Oudaires if he goes there.

3 Likes

He was surely bigger than 14/1?

Could have been. Memory could be playing tricks

Sp 14s alright

1 Like

Also, Fenway and Apples are proper masters of form. I’m using a system which is about 2 levels above mug punting. As soon as the English start winning again, I’m fucked

6 Likes

Imagine we had built out accums on ye over the years on yer red hot days. We’d be minted