Cheltenham Festival Thread

What’s the story DB? Who’s on the panel, etc.?

Panel is

Tony Martin
Tom Doyle
Donn McClean
Damien McElroy
Patrick Kelleher (PP)
Colm Murray (MC)

€20 and ya get a free €10 bet with it

Kicking King is out of the Gold Cup by the way

what do we reckon the going will be for cheltenham…good to soft good in places?..whats the forecast over there for the weekend/week coming

Thought I’d post this here - it’s the Irish Times report from the day after Dawn Run won (from March 14th, 1986), reprinted in today’s Times:

Dawn Run takes Gold at Cheltenham

ONE FROM THE ARCHIVES GOLD CUP 1986

INCREDIBLE! That is the only word to describe the scenes that greeted yesterday’s Tote Gold Cup heroine, Dawn Run, after the gallant mare and her partner Jonjo O’Neill, got up to beat Wayward Lad and Forgive 'N Forget in an unforgettable finish.

The roar that greeted the first ever winner of both the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup might have been heard miles away and rapturous crows of Irish punters surged towards the unsaddling enclosure, chanting the while, “here we go, here we go”.

Milling round Dawn Run (who, if she had had space would have wreaked havoc with her feet), her 67-year-old owner, Charmian Hill, trainer Paddy Mullins and jockey Jonjo O’Neill, who understandably looked most concerned, the winning entourage made their way precariously towards the number one berth, and, once inside, were followed by the crowd, who swept policemen and officials aside like a pack of cards.

Charmian Hill was cheered, Jonjo O’Neill was cheered and Jonjo himself chaired the jocked off Tony Mullins to the presentation dais where the Queen Mother was not cheered, but it might have been a near thing. Indeed there were unprecedented scenes of sheer exuberance that would have done Arkle proud.

Jonjo O’Neill believed he was beaten as Dawn Run negotiated the final fence in third place. “But she picked up after flying the last and I knew we had it won as the others were stopping in front. She’s as game as a pebble,” he said. And that was all I could get from the happy Irishman as, for the umpteenth time, he was hoisted aloft.

“A lot of people will have to eat their words,” said a triumphant Mrs Hill, but she could not have been referring to Irish punters who took the mare to their hearts two years ago, almost to the day when she won the Champion Hurdle.

“When she approached the final jump, I thought she would be lucky to be placed,” added the diminutive galloping grandmother, whom I well recall riding Dawn Run herself to win a bumper at Tralee.

It was shortly after that success that the Irish Turf authorities refused to renew Charmian Hill’s licence to ride. Well, she has had a lot of compensation with Dawn Run including the English, French and Irish Champion Hurdles and a record 250,000 in prize money which is a fair return for the 5,800 guineas Mrs Hill originally expended on her. There is surely more to come, probably at Liverpool next month, and, of course, in next year’s Gold Cup.

Trainer Paddy Mullins deserves every credit. He produced this mare to win the Blue Riband of steeplechasing with only four races behind her and some intensive schooling. He must be a mightily relieved man now that it is all over.

Following some good level jumping, Dawn Run made her serious blunder at the fifth last, and came out from that a length or two adrift of Run and Skip, who had kept her company at the head of affairs from the very start.

Dawn Run began to close again on her rival by the third fence from home and a brilliant leap over the second last propelled her back into contention. But last year’s winner, Forgive 'N Forget, and the prolific winner, Wayward Lad, were full of running, and, when Forgive 'N Forget cleared the final fence in front of Wayward Lad, it was all China to a cup of tea that the Irish mare would finish no nearer that third.

Halfway up the run-in, Dawn Run began to peg back her rivals, booted on by O’Neill and lifted by a deafening roar from the delighted Irish contingent.

I can tell you her 5lb sex allowance and Jonjo O’Neill’s strong right arm stood her well as she passed the post one length to the good.

Dawn Run can only improve and, if everything goes well, should win another Gold Cup, or two.

Dawn Run not only completed an unprecedented double but she did it in the fastest ever Gold Cup. Her winning time of six minutes 35.3 seconds was two seconds faster than that recorded by The Dikler in 1973.

Successful with Buck House in Wednesday’s Queen Mother Champion Chase, Michael Morris turned up trumps again when Attitude Adjuster won the Christie’s Foxhunters chase in the capable hands of amateur Ted Walsh, who, at 36 years of age, with all 11 championships behind him, has decided to quite race riding over fences and hurdles. However, he will continue to ride in bumpers and help his father Ruby, to train.

Who would have thought that Attitude Adjuster would have won such an important even after he had scraped home at Thurles on his previous appearance? He was, to say the least, hard ridden on that occasion. As his trainer declared: “He’s a tough horse and a top jockey was aboard.”

Running for the first time in blinkers, Attitude Adjuster swept past his ground-hating compatriot, Mister Donovan, after rounding the home turn and, popping over the final fence, won readily.

He is owned in partnership by five women - Mrs Robert Sangster (her first winner), Mrs John Magnier, Mrs Mark Kavanagh, Mrs David Nagle, and Mrs John Horgan, and cost them 12,000 guineas at Goffs.

Attitude Adjuster may not be sent to Liverpool. “He is a bit young for those fences,” said Michael Morris realistically.

In holding the incredibly late challenge of the grey Brunico, who pipped Son Of Ivor for second place in the Daily Express Triumph Hurdle, 40 to 1 chance Solar Cloud, credited local trainer David Nicholson and former champion Peter Scudamore with their first Festival winner, the latter attempting to lay the bogey for the 76th time.

Formerly trained by Vincent O’Brien and then as a three-year-old by Con Collins, who once trained the dual Champion Hurdler See You Then, the 240,000 guineas yearling purchase Solar Cloud was bought on behalf of Dave Nicholson by Paddy Norris’s daughter, Ines, her first purchase since she joined the CBA.

Solar Cloud set sail for home after shrugging off the attention of The Musical Priest on the run to the penultimate flight, where Son Of Ivor switched round the weakening The Musical Priest and gave chase.

However, four lengths behind on negotiating the last, the effort proved too much and he tired close home where Brunico deprived him of second place.

Son Of Ivor will next appear in a 10-furlong flat race at the Phoenix Park, following which he will revert to hurdling at Punchestown.

I’m sure there’s loads of these previews going around at this stage but sure here’s one anyway:

EXETER RACECOURSE PREVIEW EVENING

Tuesday, February 27th

A heavyweight panel of trainers comprised of Paul Nicholls (PN), David Pipe (DP), Philip Hobbs’ assistant Johnson White (JW) and the Racing Post’s West Country correspondent Andrew King (AK) with Alice Plunkett acting as the M.C.

A different format from the scores of preview evenings I’ve attended down the years (a brief discussion of the Grade 1 races before the break and a Q & A session in part 2) and also the shortest preview night I’ve ever attended as they rattled through each race in triple-quick time which, being a panel of trainers in the main is not surprising as they basically just talked about their own horses (mention of just one Irish horse all night) which is why some of the quotes are quite short.

SUPREME NOVICES’ HURDLE

They actually missed out this race until the Q & A session from the audience got a response. Alice was half an hour late and rather flustered!

PN We run Rippling Ring and he did a very smart piece of work with Celestial Halo yesterday and Ruby Walsh will ride him. He won very nicely at Doncaster on his only start over hurdles and had the class to be third in the South African Derby on the Flat. He has got to overcome inexperience but we think plenty of him.

DP (no mention of anything as wasn’t asked a direct question and he wasn’t exactly champing at the bit to reveal all so watch out for his entries!!!)

JW We don’t have any strong fancies for the Festival this year but we run Snap Tie and he is one of many at the meeting we think can go well at big odds.

ARKLE TROPHY

PN Noland had a few problems after his chase debut win and was sick for a fortnight. We needed to get another run into him for experience which we did at Sandown where he jumped brilliantly and he will improve enormously for that run. I think it’s an open Arkle but Ruby said he wasn’t impressed with Tidal Bay ’s jumping when he rode him at Doncaster and I’m convinced he needs further. Ring The Boss is a horse I would look at of the bigger priced horses.

DP We don’t have anything for the race and Noland will take all the beating.

JW We couldn’t have been more delighted with Ring The Boss’ chase debut when second in the Kingmaker. He did an amazing piece of work yesterday with our fastest three-year-old and has a great each-way chance.

AK It’s not the greatest of races. Noland has all the right credentials and looks a solid 3/1 favourite.

CHAMPION HURDLE

PN We have nothing this year. If Sublimity was fit and well I would go for him but the rumours are that this is not the case. Therefore I think it’s between Sizing Europe and Osana. If I trained Harchibald I would put a pair of blinkers on him.

DP We decided to miss the Kingwell with Osana as we felt it was just a little too close to the Festival. He received weight and we got a head start in the boylesports but Katchit came to us at the last flight and we went right away from him again. We were very impressed by Sizing Europe at Leopardstown but they didn’t go that quick and we know we can jump fast and fluent at Champion Hurdle pace. We handle the track and we know we go very well at two-mile speed. (the impression given was that he felt that may not be the case for Sizing Europe and they would look to try and exploit it).

JW I think Katchit can go very well off a very strong pace and can come late and go very close.

AK This seems to hinge around the Greatwood Hurdle form. Sublimity won well on decent ground last year but I think it will be softer this year as they are already watering and will continue to do so if it doesn’t rain. If it is not soft then Sublimity comes right back into it but I don’t think Katchit is good enough. Sizing Europe would be my pick but 2/1 is very short.

WILLIAM HILL TROPHY

PN We will run Ofarel D’Airy and Le Volfoni and if Mister Pointment misses Doncaster this weekend due to fast ground, it is likely he will also run and he’ll go well wherever he runs.

DP An Accordion is very talented. He is still a big baby and lightly raced so has lots of potential. The blinkers helped him concentrate with his jumping when he won at Doncaster last time out and we purposely missed the Racing Post Chase for this. Over the Creek probably wouldn’t be quick enough and if he goes anywhere it will probably be the 4m National Hunt Chase. Abragante disappointed on his last two starts but he is showing signs of coming back to his old self at home.

JW Monkerhostin would be the best hope of our entries. He is also in the Gold Cup but we will probably give Paul Nicholls a chance and run him here instead! We are also likely to run Boychuk who is a real satyer than would prefer decent ground.

CROSS COUNTRY HANDICAP CHASE

PN We plan to run Royal Auclair who may run again before the Festival and Le Duc but this will go to the Irish, most likely a J P McManus-owned horse.

FRED WINTER JUVENILE NOVICES’ HANDICAP HURDLE

PN We may run Pierre Lunaire here as he wouldn’t be good enough for the Triumph Hurdle.

DP We have six horses in mind for the Imperial Cup-Festival race bonus (not necessarily the Fred Winter although Gaspara completed the double for the stable in this race last year – when pressed which he was unsurprisingly rather shy!)

BALLYMORE PROPERTIES NOVICES’ HURDLE

PN Breedsbreeze is our number one hope and Ruby is very sweet on him (he was short and sweet!)

DP We have no runners for this race.

JW We’ll probably run County Zen who was third in the totesport Trophy last time out and Pigeon Island has franked that form. He’s a tough horse that worked well yesterday and looks very good each-way value at a big price.

AK Group Captain’s win at this course last time out was very impressive over a trip probably short of his best when beating a Henderson horse that the yard think a lot of so I think he has a massive chance.

ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE CHASE

PN We run Silverburn and Ornais. The handicapper has given Ornais 156 for his last win and has Silverburn on 142 but we know Silverhand is in a different class to Ornais. He looks as well as we’ve ever had him and has a great chance, in fact, I think he is one of our best chances of the whole meeting.

DP Speaking to Denis O’Regan last week I think there is a good chance they might step Tidal Bay up in trip and run him here but Howard Johnson’s horses are not going well right now.

JW I’m not sure we’ll have anything this year as Gold Medallist is more likely to go for the Jewson and Pancake will only run if we get soft ground.

AK I really like Albertas Run who looks just the ideal sort for this race as he had a touch of class over hurdles, stays very well and his last run was very impressive.

QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

PN Don’t read anything into jockey bookings as it will be up to me and I would say it is very likely Ruby will ride Master Minded and Sam will ride Twist Magic as they are the horses they have won on this season at Newbury and Sandown so it makes sense it stays that way. I worked both of them together yesterday over 5f and they both went brilliantly. Master Minded has really impressed me with his improvement but I admit his jumping is a concern. As for Twist Magic, forget his Ascot run on that ground plus that is more of a stayers track than Cheltenham , and he’ll love Cheltenham . Fair play to Tamarinbleu for winning at Ascot on soft ground but I think it will be a different ball game on decent ground.

DP We haven’t decided whether Tamarinbleu runs here or the Ryanair and won’t until much nearer the day when we know the likely conditions plus what is turning up for each race as you can get late non-runners. I know Paul thinks Ascot was too soft for Twist Magic but I also think it was softer than Tamarinbleu appreciates. He’s still filling out so is still improving and has been a revelation since blinkers were fitted.

JW We run Fair Along for whom nothing went right when he was Arkle favourite last year. He wants all of two miles but gets no further and we think he has an each-way chance at a decent price.

AK I think Voy Por Ustedes has an impossible task and now wants 2m4f if not even 3m. On decent ground I would go for Twist Magic and on softish ground it would have to be Master Minded.

NATIONAL HUNT CHASE

DP (In the Q & A session I asked if Over the Creek goes here for a handicap or the SunAlliance) If Over The Creek goes anywhere it will be here. (he then looked me dead in the eye and said) And he would have a very, very, good chance.

WEATHERBYS CHAMPION BUMPER

PN The Irish will win it!

DP We’re not sure Big Eared Fran goes here yet (there have been rumours he has had problems).

JW Keki Buku would probably be our best chance of a winner at this year’s Festival. He has not run since easily winning at Uttoxeter in October beating Henrietta Knight’s good novice Calgary Bay .

WORLD HURDLE

PN We have nothing in the race but Howard Johnson’s string are not right at the moment which would be a concern for Inglis Drever. I saw My Way De Solzen in the paddock on Sunday at Fontwell and thought he looked big and well so wouldn’t be at all surprised if he ran a big race.

DP Lough Derg is an absolute superstar and even after a very hard race winning on Sunday he was kicking and bucking and as a fresh as a daisy the next day. The World Hurdle is a different story and although he should run a sound race, he has it to do. I was impressed with Kasbah Bliss at Haydock and A P being back on Wichita Lineman will help his chances.

JW We have nothing – it has to be Inglis Drever

AK I am not sure anything can beat Inglis Drever apart from himself, I’m sure he’s a monkey. I’m sure Wichita Lineman has purely been trained for his race and I hear rumours they may put headgear on him for the first time. I couldn’t rule out Lough Derg as he is game as the day is long. Wichita Lineman each-way for me.

RYANAIR CHASE

Again, this race was missed out until the Q & A session was there were limited quotes

PN I don’t think it actually looks that competitive which is why David should run Tamarinbleu here and not the Champion Chase! We run Turko who drops back in trip from 3m from when second in the Irish Hennessy and we think that will suit him.

DP Our Vic has a favourite’s chance but I do think 2m5f is a bit sharp for him around Cheltenham . Ideally 3m is his trip around here.

AK Our Vic is the one to beat

RACING POST PLATE

PN Gwanako would be our main hope. He had a nice run round the other day on his first look at British fences. (the impression was left there was plenty of improvement to come)

TRIUMPH HURDLE

PN Celestial Halo would be our main hope but Franchoek will be very hard to pass. We probably left him a bit underdone when beaten by Sentry Duty who is also probably very decent himself and he worked nicely with Rippling Ring yesterday. Five Dream would prefer it soft. I think Askkazar wants further.

DP Ashkazar was very impressive for us at Wincanton on his hurdling debut but the ground was too soft at Chepstow next time and he did it nicely at Sandown afterwards. He will be a lovely horse for the future and he is very well built for a 4yo with a real engine. Wherever he goes he will run well (suggesting the Supreme with an age allowance or the Fred Winter could yet be an option).

JW We have two possibles but Hibiki will have to win well at Ludlow to take his chance and it is more likely than not that The Grey Berry will bypass Cheltenham .

AK Franchoeck keeps improving, has got the form in the book, does not stop in front and has Cheltenham form so has everything you look for in a Triumph Hurdle horse.

GOLD CUP

PN Both Kauto Star and Denman are outstanding horses. Kauto Star has not missed any work since his scare after Ascot and will be very, very hard to beat but Denman worked well this morning and has done nothing wrong. Neptune Collonges put up his career best effort at Wincanton last time and Star De Mohaison could also run if Exotic Dancer doesn’t show up as his owner would be keen to have a runner.

DP I’d be a Kauto Star man. He’s won a Tingle Creek and Gold Cup and I would only switch to Denman if it came up bottomless.

JW Kauto Star.

AK On paper it is a match but Kauto Star is just unbelievable as he gallops, stays and has speed. I would prefer Kauto Star to Denman if it is not soft ground. I think Neptune Collonges is a flat track horse so the each-way value lies with Halcon Genelardais at 40/1 especially if it is softish ground.

FOXHUNTERS’

PN We will run two, Thisthatandtother and Lou Dun Moulin Mas. Thisthatandtother was beaten at odds of 1/8 last time out but he returned home with loads of problems and was lame. The big doubt is whether he will stay as he has never won beyond 2m5f and it is touch and go whether he will run.

GRAND ANNUAL

PN Andreas will almost certainly try and win this race for a second year running rather than take up his Champion Chase entry.

DAVID NICHOLSON MARES ONLY HURDLE

DP We run Gaspara who won at the Festival last year and all is going well with her preparation.

[quote=“The Puke”]what do we reckon the going will be for cheltenham…good to soft good in places?..whats the forecast over there for the weekend/week coming
[/quote]

Rain forecast every day between now and Tuesday. I would think that would put an end to plans to water the course.

I would think it will be good to soft on Tuesday

i hear ruby is going to take the ride on master minded in the queen mother…which means himself and nicholls think he has a better chance than twist magic…still think that voy pos ustades will win it alan king seems to know how to get him right for the festival even though he was beaten by master minded last time out…but on his prep run before cheltenham last year he fell so wouldnt read too much into it…

king is well able to get them right for the festival, few of his at good prices now…what price is VPU now?

somewhere around 3-1 (100-30 on betfair)third favourite after nicholls 2…choc makes out that he is his best chance of the festival

Royal & SunAlliance Chase 3m 1/2f
12th of March 2008 2:35pm
Win or Each Way
Silverburn @ 13 - 2
Racing Post Plate Handicap Chase 2m 5f
13th of March 2008 4:00pm
Win or Each Way
Gwanako @ 10 - 1
JCB Triumph Hurdle 2m 1f
14th of March 2008 2:00pm
Win or Each Way
Five Dream @ 16 - 1
Totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup 3m 2 1/2f
14th of March 2008 3:15pm
Win or Each Way
Kauto Star @ evens

This is my second of these Yankees. 1e returns just under five and a half grand. I intend to do maybe one or two more and hope to hit the jackpot big style. I’ll be trawling though the handicaps big style over the weekend.

Was out at the preview in Malahide last night. There was unanimity about the following 4 horses which you could put in a Lucky 15 or a yankee.

Voy Por Ustedes - Champion Chase
Franchoek - Triumph Hurdle
Sweet Kiln - Mares Hurdle
Kauto Star - Gold Cup

[quote=“thedancingbaby”]Was out at the preview in Malahide last night. There was unanimity about the following 4 horses which you could put in a Lucky 15 or a yankee.

Voy Por Ustedes - Champion Chase
Franchoek - Triumph Hurdle
Sweet Kiln - Mares Hurdle
Kauto Star - Gold Cup[/quote]

Sounds like a decent bet to me. A 1 yankee pays nearly 350.

Does anyone know of any websites that’ll be showing the racing for free??

Good article from the rag yesterday - even gives the preview night we had a mention!

Paddy’s bar

Did you hear the one about the group of Irish regulars who bought a horse and named it after the Taoiseach’s friend? Well, if it wins at Cheltenham next week the joke won’t be on them. Chris McGrath reports from a pub in Dublin

Pints seem to be multiplying like Hydra heads. Every time you finish one, another two mysteriously appear on the bar. Through a fog of faces and noise, Brian is saying something. “The thing is, over there you’ll all be saying to each other: ‘What’s the matter with these people? Crazy bunch of Paddys. What kind of name is that to give a horse?’ But people in Ireland will understand it at once.”

Here’s the other Brian now. Wants to introduce another of the lads involved in Forpadydeplasterer, the horse going over to Cheltenham next week. You shake hands. It seems this fellow used to play soccer at a fairly serious level. St Patrick’s Athletic, midfield. Their Butch Wilkins, it was said, and not simply because of the coiffure. His name, almost inevitably, is Brian.

Perhaps they should have called their horse The Brians Trust instead. But then that is rather how Paddy became famous, or infamous, in the first place. There were two Paddy Reillys in Bertie Ahern’s circle. For the avoidance of confusion, Bertie referred to one as Paddy The Plasterer. Far more homely, in fairness, than Paddy The Property Developer, which would apparently be more accurate nowadays.

Bertie, of course, is the Taoiseach. And Dubliners are agog over his evidence to the Mahon Tribunal, investigating the cash “dig-outs” he received from friends during his days as Finance Minister. While it seems the Finance Minister did not have a bank account, he did at least have some very good pals, glad to dig him out in times of trouble.

And, for all the cosmopolitanism of its boom years, Ireland remains a small enough country that Bertie’s crowd easily overlaps with this bunch of middle-aged drinkers, here at The Goat, this institution of south Dublin social and sporting life. Bertie was apparently here himself after Christmas, on his way back from Leopardstown, where he had seen Forpadydeplasterer beaten for the only time in his career.

The horse had excuses - much like Bertie, it might be said - and last month was sent back up to Leopardstown from Co Kerry, where he is trained by Tom Cooper, and confirmed himself one of the big Irish hopes for the Cheltenham Festival. “You look at the picture of the last hurdle,” says Seamus McHale, one of the partners, a property man. “Paddy’s ears are perked, but the other horse has his flat - you can tell he’s bollocksed. I can’t wait to see Paddy over two and a half miles.”

The link with Bertie is Charlie Chawke, owner of The Goat, and head of the syndicate of regulars who clubbed together to buy Forpadydeplasterer barely a year ago. Chawke, who testified to the tribunal that he had lent cash to Ahern, is also one of the owners of Sunderland Football Club. Blimey. They must shift a lot of stout in this bar.

Memorabilia, ranging from hurling statuettes to Jack Charlton’s tweed cap, reflect the breadth of Chawke’s sporting passions. He sits at the end of the bar, sipping mineral water, as a series of customers pay affectionate court. Four years ago, Chawke was shot in the leg during an armed robbery, here in the pub. He lost the leg, but his standing in this community has only grown since.

The place is packed out for The Goat’s Cheltenham forum, one of dozens staged throughout Ireland during these final days before the Festival. Funds are being raised for Gaelic games in Wexford. As a result the panel is chaired by no less a man than Jim Bolger, a trainer feared across the Turf for the austerity of his habits. Yet here he is, pumping the purest bonhomie through the beery atmosphere.

One of the experts under Bolger’s supervision is Ivan Yates, himself formerly a Minister of State, now a bookmaker. (British readers may wish to read over that last sentence again.) Yates is reckless enough to offer Forpadydeplasterer at 7-1, a point over the odds, for his likely race at Cheltenham next Wednesday, the Ballymore Properties Hurdle. Bolger pounces, faster than a rattlesnake, but not for the price. “Good to see he hasn’t lost it since he was a politician,” he says of Yates. “The only thing he wants to deal in is cash.”

It will feel strange, for many of those involved in the horse, not to be here during the Festival. “As a rule we’d all be in here,” says Brian O’Hagan, who works in insurance. “The bar will be three or four deep all week, and Charlie’s such a great host. The atmosphere’s electric. There’s a bookmaker over the car park and after seven losers you can end up lashing it on the 5.50 race at Hereford. There would be some hard card games too. It’s a good way of getting divorced. We did go to Aintree once, but ended up in a pub and sending out a man to sell our badges.”

The idea of buying a racehorse was hatched in this room, a year ago last Sunday, when Leopardstown was abandoned and lunch transferred to The Goat. Among those present was Brian Cooper, a banking man. Word was sent back to his brother in Tralee: they wanted a horse, but not just any old horse. It had to be unnamed, and therefore unraced. And it needed ability worthy of the name they had in mind. With so many Irish jumping prospects sold off the racecourse, Tom Cooper had his work cut out to find a potential champion with no name. But fair play to the man, he found one.

According to his brother, Tom works even harder than his new patrons play. Like their late father, he divides his waking hours between racehorses and a dental laboratory. If Groucho Marx suddenly comes to mind, then reflect that four years ago Tom won one of the Festival’s most competitive races, the Bumper, with his first runner at the meeting. She was another pub whip-round, just 20 grand that time, a mare named Total Enjoyment.

“But she was a total headcase,” Brian Cooper recalls. “She won on 17 March. The celebrations went on until June or July, I can’t recall. There was some charity function in Tralee, and she made an appearance in the hotel. Can you believe it? They got this nutcase of a mare into the foyer.”

Sadly, Total Enjoyment never got beyond her maiden hurdle. On her own in a paddock, she got it into her head to jump over a gate, on to a road, and skinned her knee. The wound became infected and three months later she was dead of laminitis.

Cooper still has just 35 horses. “But we’re so lucky to have Tom,” says O’Hagan. “In that yard the horse gets royal treatment.” There are no corresponding airs among the horse’s owners, who include some candid novices in the racing game. “People a lot richer than us have been involved in an awful lot of horses with no success,” O’Hagan adds. “We’re just such an assorted group of lads: carpenters, electricians, you name it. A lot of lads who have grown up together. Charlie Chawke’s been here 25 years, and I’d say we’ve been drinking here for the guts of 20.”

One of the shares was splintered “around the piano”, the customary resort of several Goat diehards. It was on this piano that the anthem was composed: “Nobody does it fasterer”. “And a lot of credit for all this goes to Charlie,” says Brian Gleeson, the former footballer. “We’d all be talking and bullshitting - but without him would we have got off our asses, and got such a diverse crowd together?”

In honour of Chawke - and John Ryan, who likewise invested in both horse and football club - Forpadydeplasterer’s jockey wears the red and white stripes of Sunderland. It seems surreal to talk to a publican about a Premier League team, as though to any bloke in the bar, when he happens to be one of its owners.

So, Charlie - after everything you went through, the horror of the robbery and all - is Sunderland just a bit of craic as well? “We have a good few quid invested,” he says, with mild reproof. "We’d like to see it pay off. But everyone is 100 per cent committed to the cause. Maybe I did think it was easy, after we won the Championship, but if so I realise now how nave that was. It’ll be difficult, but I’m confident we’ll make up the points [to stay up].

“When we came up, I thought we had five or six players good enough for the Premier League, but it turned out that we didn’t. We’ve had to build a whole new team. From a standing start, that’s a huge ask. But I have utmost confidence in Roy Keane. His dedication, his focus is such that I can’t see him not succeeding. He’s never professed to know it all, but he’s a winner.”

And that, so it would seem, is the cardinal rule: surround yourself with winners. This is Chawke’s very first horse, and next week he could well find himself trousering a prize sponsored by Ballymore Properties - whose owner is none other than Sean Mulryan, another of the flamboyant winners in Ireland’s boom years, and another member of the Sunderland consortium.

“We’ve been very lucky with the horse,” Chawke concedes. “But, in fairness, the message to the potential trainer was to go out and get one good enough for the name. Then the word came back: ‘Charlie, this horse is a machine’. He cost 150 grand, and we had the 10th share to sell. And there were the guys round the piano. So I said: ‘Hang it, let’s get those guys in.’ There must have been 50 of us the last day at Leopardstown, and we’ve all been loving the craic.”

If Forpadydeplasterer were to do the business next week, few British bystanders would venture beyond the Celtic binge, beyond another barmy Irish celebration. But at home he would elaborate a parable of Irish public and sporting life.

To some, it might suggest a culpable indulgence towards the mysteries of wealth and influence. To others, however, he would reiterate better values: no to pretension or pomposity, yes to loyalty and laughter. Plastering over the craic, you might call it.

“The camaraderie has been brilliant,” O’Hagan says. “The wives are all involved, the kids, their teachers are backing the horse. If he wins, I don’t think anything could surpass the experience.”

“But once he’s safe, we’ll have a ball regardless,” says Gleeson.

O’Hagan grins. “That’s right,” he says. “Whatever happens, they’ll know who we are before we’ve finished.”

Think alan king could be a smashing bet for top trainer at the festival this year…i made a case for voy pos ustades earlier in the thread…but i think that 7-1 could well be a bit of value…with katchit franchaok voy pos plus blazing bailey nd my way de solzen in the world hurdle(likely winners if any thing happens inglis drever) along with a nice few runners in the handicaps like il duce etc…

For tomorrow I’ve gone for:

Khyber Kim at 8/1
Tidal Bay at 7/1
Sublimity at 5/1
Abragante at 9/1
Nothing
River Liane at 7/2

I’ll be doing a little yankee on each day. Today’s is Noland, Cork all Star, Sizing Europe and Garde Champetre. 75c a line renders over 800e

I think Bob hall in the William Hill at 4 bells is excellent value at 18-1 and have wagered 5e/w of my travel fund thereon.

[quote=“therock67”]For tomorrow I’ve gone for:

Khyber Kim at 8/1
Tidal Bay at 7/1
Sublimity at 5/1
Abragante at 9/1
Nothing
River Liane at 7/2[/quote]

any idea as to what therock67 seniors big fancy for this year is? looking to only put on one or two bets.

No don’t know. I’ve gone with his tips for today but he’s not especially keen on any of them except for the first one. Even then he’s not overly convinced.

Just throwing this out there from a fella who had a cracking festival last year. Make of it what you will. My own picks today will be:

2.00 Muirhead
2.35 Mahogny Blaze
3.15 Catch Me
4.35 Native Jack
5.20 River Liane

Will probably throw a few quid on some of this fellas selections too

Is it really a year already since last year’s Cheltenham Festival? Where has the time gone?. Whilst it is unlikely that I can match last year’s results as there are more races this year where I don’t see the quality or the value I would still expect to get four winners from the twenty five races,even if I won’t be betting on the Gold Cup.After all, why bother betting when the battle between the main two gladiators will be enjoyment enough.

2.00 Supreme Novices Hurdle

When you consider that last season we had a favourite for this race who went off at around the 2/1 mark, it shows that we have a bunch of novice hurdlers that are all within a few pounds of each other when the bookies are going 7/1 the field for this years renewal. The indication I get from that is that there is no superstar awaiting in the field but even still there has to be a winner and I am sure that there is still plenty of value in this race and backing one in particular at a nice double figure price should help get the meeting off to a tremendous start.

First of all lets start by looking at the ones I cant have on my radar first, based around a mixture of stats and form lines. I cant have the Paul Nicholls 1st string Rippling Ring at any price. Yes, he passes the stat test as a lightly(less than three runs over hurdles) raced hurdler and he is the right age but I cant have a horse who won a Novice hurdle from a winner of a seller on the Flat and whom the 5th home won a Selling Handicap next time out as being good enough to contest in such a race as this and I cant see him even placing to be honest. So having knocked him out of the field, we can also disregard Muirhead from the reckoning as well. After all, doesnt Noel Meade every year say the same thing about his current star novice hurdler being the best I have ever trained and yet he hasnt been anywhere near as ebullient as he usually does about this one. Whilst his absence of 100 days can partly be explained by the Meade stable being shut down for a period because of a loss of form and illness in the yard, I would still have preferred to have seen some confidence from the trainer before parting with my hard earned dough. Also, the trainer has a pretty awful record with Novices round here at the Festival so again, he can be opposed readily at the prices currently available in the village.

Captain Cee Bee could be anything ,having been kept back for this by his trainer, however I find it crazy that if A P McCoy had been given a choice between this one and Nicky Hendersons Binocular that he wouldnt choose this one
Instead.Fails the stats test on age as he is a year too old for most previous winners but whereas the other two are definite oppose material I would not get too involved either way with this one. If he wins I might feel a tad pissed off not having backed him but will just remember that there are 24 raced left to get the profit I would have done backing Captain Cee Bee in the first. Also cant have Binocular as this looks an afterthought and the yard have multiple entries in the race which indicates to me that they dont have one star and are being scattergun in their approach to see if one of the darts hits the bulls eye. This is also the reason why I wont be betting Khyber Kim( fails on the last time out win stats) or Sentry Duty(trainer doesnt do well in this race).

So, having had so many negatives in the race, what have I decided to back here?. Despite being against Rippling Ring, I do feel that trainer Paul Nicholls does actually target this race nowadays with at least one of his better novice hurdles that will go on to make a cracking chaser in time, and with that in mind I have to back his supposed 2nd string Pasco who is still available at 16/1 which is cracking each value in my opinion. Having watched his thee runs in the UK so far he looks like a horse who has improved with each run(and with racing as well) and jumped the best he has done so far on his last run. Yes, the form of that win might well be nothing special but this race is a little bit down on the normal standard of a Supreme Novices in my opinion and his form stands up to as much inspection as the rest of them and yet is almost double the price of the main protagonists. Wont mind it of the ground rides on the good to soft side for the first tomorrow and I see him in the same vein as Noland and Granit Jack who was 2nd for the stable last year. Anyone remember what won last years race lol?. So ,with a 1pt e/w bet on him at 16/1 that would appear to be my only bet for that race to get the greatest sporting event in the world off to a winning start.

2.35 Arkle Trophy

Another race where I have to oppose the short priced favourite in Noland. The reasons being quite simple. I can see his jumping being too over exuberant for Cheltenhams stiff fences and whilst he wont hit any and keel over I can see him possibly losing his footing when landing and losing all momentum at a vital stage. He also lacks enough experience for me over fences, having had only two races so far after his year off. There is also the factor that the owner didnt want him to run at Cheltenham but appears to have been overruled by the trainer in this matter. The owner might not know horses in the same intimate way that a trainer does but his gut feeling may well be proven correct tomorrow and I just hope that the Hales get the horse home safe and sound after the race and have a horse to go to war with next season once he has had more experience of fences.

Second favourite Tidal Bay is highly rated by some shrewd experts in the game and whilst they have forgotten more about this game than I will ever know, I still cant get out of my head the poor form of the Howard Johnson yard and the fact the trainer was very unconfident in todays Racing Post about the general well-being of his string and it is for that reason alone I wish to take him on at the prices available.

The one I shall be betting here then is the Charlie Mann trained Moon Over Miami who at the prices available as I write this, is currently 20/1 in places but even at Corals 16/1 he rates value. I really dont see what else the horse has to do to be taken seriously by the majority of punters in the previews. Two from two at Cheltenham, so we know he handles the track(which may well be a hindrance to some in the field),is a stone better according to his trainer going left handed like he encounters today, and forgive him his last run as it came after a long-ish break for him which would explain why he was so wound up with the lengthy delay to the start of the race. With that run behind him, he should be better suited to the race today, and although one judge intimated to me that if he hears Charlie Mann had trained a winner at the Festival he would check the news reports to see if there were reports of pigs flying over Prestbury Park as he has yet to get off the mark here I still wouldnt let that put me off and I shall have 1pt e/w on Moon Over Miami as it is the only value left in the market and the best of his form so far puts him in with as much of chance as some shorter priced individuals, including a raiding party from across the Irish Sea who dont look up to the job here.

3.15 Champion Hurdle

The big one for day one and the race in which my NAP of the meeting runs. Yes, you read it right. The horse I consider THE Best bet of the entire meeting runs in this race, although I wont be actually betting him tomorrow. The reason for not betting him on the day of the race is that I already have more than enough Ante-Post wagers on him dating back to September that I dont need any more on him for him to make a small fortune. Before I reveal who I believe WILL Win the race, let me make a case for not backing the main protagonists.

Sizing Europe beat absolute second raters in the Greatwood, Hurdle in my opinion ,and whilst he did win the AIG in easy style last time out, I question exactly what level of form he needed to beat a horse who may be now on the downgrade in Hardy Eustace, and whether it is good enough to win a Champion Hurdle. Personally I would say if you have nice ante-post vouchers at big prices then fair play to you but I cant entertain him at current odds.

Neither can I have Osana,given that he couldnt win last years Country Hurdle so what makes people think he has suddenly improved so much that he will be able to win a Grade 1 today. In the Bula, he got a massive lead early and beating Katchit( I dont rate him at all irrespective of the stat about five year olds not winning this race) and a half fit Sublimity doesnt look good enough form on the book for me to get involved today. As with Sizing Europe, if you got on Osans at massive prices( I know one person who has 100/1 on him to small stakes) then you have a cracking bet that surely you will have traded out of by now for a guaranteed profit but not one to get involved in at such short odds to these eyes. So with Katchit, Osana and Sizing Europe all on the negative side for me, can I find any others to knock out? Harchibald couldnt do it when at the peak of his fitness so why should we expect him to do it now?. Stupid price in my opinion as he needs a flat track to be seen at his best and will flatter going up the hill and anyone backing him tomorrow has to bet him on Betfair so they can trade out of his when he looks like he might do it turning in to the straight. Catch Me doesnt look up to this class so far in his career and dont read too much into the fact that Ruby Walsh rides this rather than Willie Mullins horse as he was never going to ride that one

Mention of Willie Mullins runner takes me nicely onto the Best Bet of the meeting. I am firmly in the camp that argues a case for saying Ebazyian WILL not be beaten tomorrow and I cannot hear of defeat for him as he finally gets his ideal conditions for only the second time this year. Namely, he has to have a big field to be seen at his best as shown by his record when racing in fields of 12 runners or more of: 221812111(5-9) as opposed to :0845345(0-7) in fields of 11 or less runners. He had his conditions when running out an impressive winner of the Supreme Novices last season ,and it took Willie Mullins a couple of runs this season to realise that he just doesnt like the Somme like conditions that the Irish trials tend to be run in as the pace tends to be pedestrian at times early on which doesnt help Ebazyian settle the same as he does in big fields where he can settle better, jump better and then making his run in between the last flights between horses. I do think he is a bit like Harchibald in as much as he has to hit the front as late as possible ,but he has far more resolution in his left hoof than that nutcase. Expect Davy Condon to produce him approaching the last and let the horse use his stamina to outstay the rest of the field up the famous hill to another famous win for his trainer here to add to his ten previous wins here)

4.00 William Hill Trophy

Now we really get down to the nitty gritty with a tasty looking handicap after the three Group 1 races and one horse stands out like a beacon here. I have already backed LAmi and Monkerhostin at the last two Festivals in the Gold Cup and I just cant have them at such short prices in this race as they seemed on the downgrade this year, and whilst this years renewal may not lack the class of perhaps previous years, I cannot have Monkerhostin as horses dont win Cheltenham Festival handicaps off 11st10lbs.He may run on for a place but whether or not he wins is debatable giving that he is giving away such lumps of weight. LAmi hasnt won for over three years, and again might run into a place but far too short to get involved in win betting with. If the blinkers make as much assistance to An Accordion second time around then he could well be a well handicapped individual based on his win in the Racing Post Chase but the fences at Doncaster dont take half as much jumping as the ones here at Prestbury Park do. Therefore, I am willing to let him go un-backed, although in running players may well want to get involved after seeing how he takes the first few fences.

The one I see as being the best value, is probably the price he is because the stable havent been in tremendous form this season, and the stable jockey rides another in the race, but for me Bob Hall looks primed to run a big race tomorrow for Jonjo ONeill and at 20/1 with the sponsors he just has to be bet tomorrow with 1pt e/w being staked on him. His best run this season came on his seasonal bow behind Knowhere over 2m5f when just touched off and he ran a cracker in last years Jewson when just being run out of it by LAntartique after jumping the last fence just behind that rival. Kept fresh for this, after two subsequent uninspiring runs when the stable were out of form ,he has stamina questions in the mind of some to answer but I am not so sure that will be as much of a question tomorrow and at the price that he is available at I feel it is enticing enough to take the chance on.

4.40 Cross Country Race

Now we come to the race some pundits will re-name the Making a cup of tea race as there s plenty of time for punters watching this on television in the house to make a cup of tea and they will still not be anywhere near the finish of the race. As such, it will be a race where I wont risk as much of the bank as the other races tomorrow but will just have a 0.5pt each way bet on the winner two years ago Native Jack returning to form under the jockey who rode him that day Davy Russell who rides him for the first time since that win here. He finished tailed off last year behind Heads On The Ground but did make mistakes at vital stages of that race ,and is also nearly two stone better off with last years winner Heads On The Ground this time around. It is only a speculative punt but at the prices going around /I am willing to risk a small amount of the bank that the jockey can hunt him round and run into a place.

A bit of nightmare for punters here as the top weight could easily outclass the lot of them landing the Sunderlands double in the process but if you didnt take the 8/1 available prior to the Imperial Cup then would you take 11/4(best price ) now?. Just three days after that run at Sandown, and carrying top weight of 11-12.Not for me, I am afraid but fair play to Johnson and Pipe for attempting it. Take him out of the equation however, and where do you start looking for the value. Again, not splashing the same stake as I have on the first four races on this one but at 50/1 I will risk 0.5pt on a Cheltenham legend as a jockey returning and winning as a trainer for the first time in Jim Culloty with Western Point who was trained in this country on the flat by Sir Mark Prescott .The horse passes a couple of stats in as much as he won at 12f and raced at 1m6f as well(Beaten at Musselburgh over 1m6f),and also that he has had the requisite three runs for a handicap mark. He has experience of big fields having won last time out ,by seven lengths, in a race of twenty runners, and has a jockey who I rate on prominent racers in Tom Doyle so may well make all here. At the prices, he looks the only value in a race that looks a minefield for punters.

So to recap,

1pt e/w Pasco @ 18/1( Corals)
1pt e/w Moon Over Miami @ 16/1 ( Corals)
1pt e/w Bob Hall @ 20/1( William Hills)
0.5pt e/w Native Jack @ 33/1( general)
0.5pt e/w Western Point @ 50/1(general)

0.25pt e/w Lucky 15:

Pasco
Moon Over Miami
Ebazyian
Bob Hall

Best of luck with whatever you bet tomorrow and may all the horses come home safe and sound to live another day…