Cheltenham Festival Thread

Good stuff Mac. Not one of my selections agreed with but a decent insight into the races anyway.

2.00 the gloves are off E.W
2.35 kruguyrova E.W
3.15 katchit and afsoun E.w
4.00 nothing backed yet(Ponmeoath possibly)
4.40 nothing backed yet(freneys well)
5.20 river liane NAP

held off on the foirth and fifth races as i honestly think they are nearly impossible to pick a winner inā€¦

Great stuff indeed Mac. Glad to see your mate fancies Bob Hall and Ebaziyan as I have small e/w on them. Just thinking of increasing my Ebaziyan moneyā€¦

Does anyone know anywhere I can get a decent feed on the races over the net as I;m in China and cos gambling is illegal here, you wonā€™t see it in a pub.

[quote=ā€œJuhniallioā€]Great stuff indeed Mac. Glad to see your mate fancies Bob Hall and Ebaziyan as I have small e/w on them. Just thinking of increasing my Ebaziyan moneyā€¦

Does anyone know anywhere I can get a decent feed on the races over the net as I;m in China and cos gambling is illegal here, you wonā€™t see it in a pub.[/quote]

i would say the radio could be your best bet sure tis the next best thing

Forgot to say that Iā€™d defo oppose Muirhead on the ground that thereā€™s been rumours of feed problems and Meadeā€™s horses just arenā€™t great at Cheltenham.
Tidal Bay I wouldnā€™t touch cos heā€™s a Johnson horse and theyā€™re a bit fucked at the moment.
The champion hurdle should be a super race. Sublimity doesnā€™t get the credit he deserves for how he tore up a class field last year and could do so again,especially since he loves Cheltenham, but we won bjg on him last year and that colours my view a bit. Iā€™d love to see Harchibald do it as I donā€™t think he is appreciated enough but you canā€™t really put money on a horse who bottles it so badly so regularly. I think Osana just hasnā€™t raced against the sort of opposition heā€™ll face today and will come up short. Sizing Europe lokked super in the aig but I didnā€™t get on him then so I kind of hope he fails, a bit petty I knowā€¦ Just canā€™t wait for this race. I have sizing europe in an accumalator and ebaziyan e/w.
Noland is in my accumalator too in the arkle but I think both ring the boss and thyne again are primed for this race and could go geat. My each way is ring the boss.
Bob Hall has my each way at 18-1 in the william Hill but I think new Alco could be worth a shout too.
The cross country should go to one of the top three. Enda bolger is the best in the world for training these horse but Wonderkid hacked up here before. Garde Champetre is the on I went for but it could be any of the above I suppose. The Fred Winter is a massive field so whether I have a bet on that depends on how fucked I am by thenā€¦ I wouldnā€™t be mad for river Liane at that price though.

I was hoping it wouldnā€™t come to that. Iā€™ll be trying for the paddy site and the watch live option.
Any chance of getting the races put upp after Rock? Go onā€¦ you love that techie shitā€¦

If I wasnā€™t in work Iā€™d try and sort you out but I donā€™t know. Ladbrokes block foreign IP addresses so Paddy I think is your only bet(!) if you put a tenner on minimum I think.

You could subscribe to Racing UK probably for 10 Euro a month - canā€™t check that either in work but 10 Euro for 4 daysā€™ racing would be worth it if it works in China.

Oh as for the putting the races up afterwards - shouldnā€™t be a problem other than tomorrow. Iā€™m out of civilisation tomorrow evening.

Websites like Victor Chandler and Bet Fair also have streams of the races as long as you place a minimal bet with them.

The article that Mac took up caught my eye and as I donā€™t know nearly enough about horse racing Iā€™ve gone with most of those with one of Bandage Seniorā€™s tips thrown in out of family loyalty too.

havenā€™t a clue about racing so decided to put my faith in the guy on the bbc sport website as i recall he had a few winners last year. great start with Captain Cee Bee coming in at 12-1 but nothing else featured, still up though.

Tomorrowā€™s Selections:

Trafford Lad 9/1
Air Force One 4/1
Master Minded 11/2 and outside interest in Schindlerā€™s Hunt at 25/1
Song of Songs 8/1
Dreux 66/1
Cousin Vinny 9/1

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]For tomorrow Iā€™ve gone for:

Khyber Kim at 8/1
Tidal Bay at 7/1
Sublimity at 5/1
Abragante at 9/1
Nothing
River Liane at 7/2[/quote]

thats exactly what croppy went forā€¦i take it Rock senior is advising his offspring

well done on tidal bay by the way

Only have 3 real horses to have an interest in tomorrow. Have backed PaddythePlasterer at 7/1. Fancy a bit on Albertas run in the second race and Voy Por Ustedes in the Champion Chase. Other than that Iā€™m still undecided.

tomorrows selections:
2.00 group captain
2.35 joe lively E.W
3.15 Voy pos ustedes NAP (infact i will pretty much guarentee he wont be beaten)
4.00 song of songs
4.40 oulart E.W
5.20 zaarito

these could well change

Just some info from the same fella as yesterday. Heā€™s left out the bumper but that may well followā€¦

Well, day two awaits of the Festival and still the search for the 1st winner so far goes on. The major positive I can pull from todays results is that I cant possibly be as out of touch on Day 2 as I was on Day 1. I will be attempting a more scattergun approach with the Coral Cup and National Hunt Chase by betting three each way to small stakes(0.5pt e/w) on both races whilst also sticking the same stake on for the Bumper on a big priced runner. The remaining seven points from my fourteen points staked today(No multiple today) will come from the first three races where the winners look slightly easier to find, especially the Queen Mother Champion Chase.

2.00 Ballymore Propeties Hurdle

With the Nicholls team drawing a blank today, and Ruby riding one for Willie Mullins, I cant have Breedsbreeze on my shortlist for this, and the Mullins runner FiveForThree whilst highly rated by some is also another I feel doesnt have the profile of a horse who should be so short in the betting.

Nicky Henderson is a trainer who also doesnt have a great record in this race so not to sure why Aigle DOr is currently 11/2 when he won at Cheltenham last time out from rivals who are at least a couple of points bigger in the betting than he is. In fact, given that he was receiving 3lbs from the Nigel Twiston Davies trained Razor Royale that day, and yet that rival is 25/1 when he gets the weight turnaround here I know exactly where the value lies in this race.

I was most taken by the performance of Razor Royale when winning at Cheltenham on his hurdling debut in November over this course and distance. Yes, he fluffed the last hurdle but it was his move on the outside of the field to take him clear of his field coming into the straight that impressed me most. He has been rested since that last run here and connections try him in a tongue tie which should mean he doesnt falter when the pressure is applied in the closing stages this time, as he does travel very very well in his races He also handles cut in the ground, and if kept to the outside of the field I can see him make that sweeping run coming into the straight and at the very least make the frame which at his price still leaves a nice profit from the place part of the bet which will be 1pt each way at the 28/1 Corals currently go.

2.35 Royal & Sun Alliance Chase.

In this race I will be backing two horses with the main one a 1pt e/w bet and the second a .5pt e/w bet at double the odds of the first one.

For starters I have to take on Albertas Run for two reasons. First one is the stable form which is still pretty ropey(Wont stop me backing two of their runners later in the day but more of that in a little while),and also I wasnt that impressed with his attitude at Ascot when he won the Reynoldstown Chase last time out. I feel he got the run of the race by everything up front going far too fast and he landed with the race in his lap despite not jumping or travelling well enough in my opinion. The terrible run of the Reynoldstown winners running in this race is also another negative to take into account with this one and at current odds of around 9/2 I have to be against him.

Given the awful record of Charlie Manns runners at the Festival is a factor to consider when looking at the chances of Air Force One, and two wins in lowly company does nothing to recommend his chances either to me. Beaten both times he has raced in this type of grade over fences ,I am yet to be convinced of his abilities to jump these stiff fences and he is also one to swerve big style in my opinion.

Jumping these fences, however, is not a problem to my main bet in the race at a ridiculous 12/1(providing Ladbrokes go it in the morning when they open for business in the shops) that is available on two time course winner Joe Lively. Proven around the course here, stays well, far better racing this way round that the right handed track of Ascot he ran at last time out. Even though he won at Right Handed Kempton at Christmas, he didnt jump with his usual fluency there, and was far more foot perfect here on the second of his two wins over course and distance. If he was coming here straight from his last win at Christmas then I am certain he would be clear favourite in a race that looks to be of the usual mixture of class for a Sun Alliance as in not as good as it used to be!. 12/1 is an insult to the horses chances to these eyes and must be backed accordingly, even if that is just to 1pt e/w as I cannot see him not being in the frame here and therefore we should collect again from at the very least the place portion of the bet.

For a far more speculative punt in the race, it might be worth risking 0.5pts e/w on Carl Llewellyns Roll Along. He looked a potential star when winning here over hurdles about eighteen months ago, but his legs havent taken much racing in recent times. He has raced twice over fences so far this season, winning once(albeit gifted it by his main rivals failing to complete the course) and just being touched of by a rejuvenated animal from Alan Kings yard when some questioned his attitude in not going by. It is true to say that his results dont match the natural ability he has but at the price he is worth taking a chance on to small stakes for me.

3.15 Queen Mother Champion Chase

Quite what Paul Nicholls is doing running either Master Minded or Twist Magic in this is beyond me. Neither have the class needed for this with Master Minded a flat track bully and Twist Magic just not up to this grade in my opinion. There can only be one bet in this race, especially since Corals go a standout 100/30 Voy Pur Ustedes which looks like candy from a baby.

A winner at the last two festvials,including this race last season, he faced a difficult task giving weight away to Master Minded on a track that suited that horse far better last time out, and is better off at the weights with that rival here over a track that suits him better now. With trainer Alan King already on the board already after Katchits win in the Champion Hurdle, and Choc Thornton leading the top jockey tables with two wins already I fully expect Voy Pur to win this without too much hassle and seriously doubt that the 100/30 will even still be there tonight never mind first thing tomorrow morning. The Nicholls are 10/1 and 16/1 shots in my book and must both be opposed big style here. Not much else to say here but Tamarinbleu should run him a close second with one of the outsiders running into the third place spot.

4.00 Coral Cup

The most competitive betting race over hurdles of the whole festival with perhaps the exception of the County Hurdle getting out stakes on Friday, and I will take a low key approach to it by backing three each way at big prices against the relatively short priced favourite Leg Spinner.

Firstly, I was very sweet on the chances of Noel Chances Mendo until I saw the jockey booking. Tom Sidall?.. I wasnt even aware he was still riding over jumps anymore!. Pity that the jockey booking isnt quite a bit stronger as I would have fancied him stronger based around his run when winning here on Greatwood Hurdle day from Vale of Avoccia(guess what one I backed!) where he travelled well on the outside of the field, jumped well in the main and made his move coming into the straight travelling well. His next run wasnt as good when making his chase debut and falling, but back to hurdles at Sandown last time he ran well enough when finishing fifth(promoted to fourth) behind The Tother One. As I said, the jockey booking does negate some of the confidence I have in the horses chance but proven round here already, and proven on the ground as well he rates a nice little 25/1 shot to go to war with.

The second selection in the race comes from the yard of Noel Meade who race Orbit O Gold whom I backed in last years Supreme Novices which he faded badly after the second last in to finish midfield. Placed in two big field flat handicaps last back end(Irish November Handicap and Cesarewtch), he has cheek pieces on and with stable jockey Paul Carberry on board, I dont think he is entirely out of the reckoning if the ground doesnt get any worse over night. Raced in that Great wood hurdle won by Sizing Europe from Osana he didnt handle the ground conditions(which were worse than they are at this meeting) but was staying on at the death to these eyes. Again, a speculative punt but at 40/1 with Ladbrokes I feel it is worth risking 0.5pt each way on.

The final one, is a completely crazy bet, and one that may prove I have finally lost my marbles this week. It is Tagula Blue from the Ian Williams yard. A Grade 2 winner over 2m from Moon Over Miami at Ascot back in December 2006, he was spotted in eye catching fashion running on over 2m behind Jack The Giant here last December and he would have needed his last run at Hereford carrying 11-11 behind Oh Crick. Although no form to indicate that he stays 2m5f, I take the chance based on that Jack The Giant run that he handles the track ok and therefore if staying on then he may well run into a place and at 80/1 with four places up for grabs he is a nice price if doing so.

4.40 National Hunt Chase

With a 4m Novice chase not being the most common race in the race calendar elsewhere than the festival, it is unlikely that you are going to find much distance form from the runners here hence why I shall keep to three each way based more around trainer or jockey bookings than the actual form in the book at big prices.

To begin with I have to back the two Jonjo ONeill runners in the race at 33/1+ given that the trainer has won four of last six runnings of this On the form book, they wouldnt be the most likely of winners and in fact I backed The King of Angels last time out when pulled up at Sandown as he had the small field he needs to be seen at his best. So much for that being his ideal conditions, eh?..Along with Pass It On who again have little form to recommend it looking at the conventional form book, the only reason for betting them is the trainers record in the race and two good amateurs booked in Alan Berry and J T McNamara. At 66/1 and 40/1 they are far bigger prices than they should be from this yard and have to carry 0.5pt each way each on them.

The third one is the Henry Daly trained Sherwood Folly who has the capable Irish pilot of Damien Murphy who partnered Whyso Mayo to victory in the 2006 Foxhunters here. The trainer has won this race in the past and this horse looks like an out and out stayer from his form who has improved for the application of cheek pieces as well. Currently a 33/1 shot with Corals he is worth a small each way bet.

In fact, during the course of typing this up I have had another look at the bumper again and have decided not to bother risking any of my bank in this race as it looks a complete minefield so just the 13pts staked today

To recap :

2.00 : Razor Royale 1pt e/w at 28/1(Corals)
2.35: Joe Lively 1pt e/w @12/1(Ladbrokes), Roll Along 0.5 pt e/w @25/1(Ladbrokes)
3.15:Voy Pur Ustedes 2pt win @100/30(Corals)
4.00: OrbitO Gold/Tagula Blue/Mendo 3x 0.5pt e/w @ 40/1(Ladbrokes), 80/1(Corals) and 25/1 (Ladbrokes) respectively.

4.40: The King of Angels/Pass It On/Sherwood Folly 3x 0.5pt e/w @ 50/1(Hills),40/1(Hills) and 33/1(Corals)

Best of luck with whatever you bet todayā€¦

Steven

What can I say? The day started with horrific disappointment as I sat in my Beijing apartment at 9.59pm waiting for race to start on Paddy Powerā€™s watch live feature. Start time came and went without pictures. Despite a dash to a more competent computer mateā€™s gaff we were still unable to get pictures or commentary for the Arkle so it was on PPā€™s results function that I found out Iā€™d bombed in 1 and 2. The Champion Hurdle sounded exciting and my heart was with Sublimity but 0 from 3 is a pile of shit. Not as shitty though as 0 from 4, which soon followed. Seeing that my yankee was sunk I dipped into the back pocket and repledged my faith in my selection of Garde Champetre in the Cross country and nearly lost a bollock* when the commentator said it was failing to respond late on before running on well to hammer the field. Brace-balled again and happy the day wasnā€™t a washout, I went with Harry Tricker and Indian Spring(plced @66-1) in the last to finish happy if not too loaded.

Today, my yankee is Paddyde, Voy por, Silverburn and zaarito. 1e for 11 lines gets 1,459.75.

Iā€™m napping Silverburn, although they had suggested heā€™d run later in the week in the Jewsons, and have song of songs and the jp/jonjo horse in the chase. Iā€™ve also backed Dreux @66-1 in honour of my old football coach, Rock senior. Today also sees the appearance of the long sung Majestic Concorde in the Ballymore Novices. Apparently heā€™d appreciate a bit better ground but I still have strong hopes. Best of luck chaps.

*Heart dropped so much as to have nearly knocked said bollock out of the sac and across the floorā€¦

Did I just hear today was cancelled due to high winds?

Yeah fucking cancelled today. Moved to Saturday I suppose? Disaster for people with a day off booked Iā€™d say.

This isnā€™t a piss take is it?

Nope. Itā€™s off alright