Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

Sixmilebridge 0-21 Crusheen 2-13

Champions safely into the 1/4 finals

Sure Clonlara isn’t even really Clare ffs, majority of people there were in Croke Park or the Gaelic Grounds last Sunday

Shane McGrath the Tipp midfielder?

Would he have had much coaching experience prior to that?

With the talent they have they should be a match for Na P .

1-11 from play according to Buff. Outrageous

Coached Kilruane McDonaghs Seniors in Tipp last year

Good win for the Maggies yesterday and Bobby Duggan returning next week. O Halloran back in form too. Dark horses.

While Clonlara sounds like an attractive enough prospect for an up-and-coming coach- serious talent in the squad, serial underachievers; if you don’t have the players all buying in, you end up with your reputation slightly sullied too.

Clonlara shouldn’t be in a relegation play-off with the players they have.

A number of issues in the club

Anyone have the clonlara team for the last day.

Are all the players such as Donovan x2, O connell x2, honan, conlon, galvin x2, oisin o brien still playing?

Think there’s one or two clare minors & 21s i’ve seen on programmes in recent years too. A O’ Loughlin maybe?

Honan is retired, I think.

Paraic O’Loughlin is a handy player.

1 Like

Not as simple as picking a team on paper. Nickey and Cathal O’Connell work shift/nights in Shannon and are hardly available for training. Honan hasn’t hurled in 18 months and I doubt ever will again. The Galvin’s are aloof characters for use of a better word at the best of times and their commitment hasn’t been the same since their old lad was removed to bring in Sean Stack.

John Conlon was on one leg last weekend and shouldn’t have played while Domhnall O’ Donovan lives/works in Kildare and while his commitment couldn’t be questioned the team is certainly at a loss not having him training full time with them. A few of the more talented young lads went to the States for the summer after the Clare 21s were knocked out in May.

A number of lads who could/should be on the senior panel won’t commit and instead hurl at intermediate level for the second team where that are guarenteed their spot all year and get games as opposed to bring well down the pecking order with the seniors and completely out of the picture once the county panelists/j1s are back in the mix. Senior squad lacks depth because of it and also continuity. Added to a number of key lads being unavailable most of the time and a lack of unity due to numerous management teams being shafted it has led to this.

Hard to see it being turned around either. A few lads aside the leaders aren’t there and the men in the club potentially capable of turning it around have no interest taking it on due to the issues outlined above.

4 Likes

Informative post. Cheers.

I see, wasn’t having a go at them. Just genuinely wanted to know what the status on them players & were they still playing.

Am i right in saying I saw the intermediates got an awful hammering too by someone?

Yeah, they are a good junior a/poor intermediate side. Too much of a step up. But it is a fair achievement for the club to have a second team at that level considering the second team for generations were a junior b rabble

1 Like

That ties in to exactly what I’ve heard.

Shame considering they would be a serious club team if they were all united.

Jesus as an outsider even i’d say thank god for their own sake they have at least one county to show for the talent that they produced in one go.

Should have more but Christ it would of been criminal not to have won at least one.

The 2007/2008/2009 team was built on continuity and a tight nit group with numerous experienced leaders along with some exceptional young hurlers who weren’t quite established at senior I/C level and availability to them wasn’t an issue.

Almost the opposite to what it is now.

1 Like

SFC Losers Round

Eire Óg 4-14 St Josephs 0-7

Kilmihil 1-11 Wolfe Tones 2-6

Cooraclare 4-12 O’Curry’s 1-5

Corofin 2-18 Kilfenora 1-7

All losers above down to intermediate.

Winners Round

KIB 2-15 Lissycasey 1-14 AET

Cratloe 1-13 Clondegad 1-12

Ennistymon 2-11 St Breckans 0-9