Clare Gaa šŸ Thread mark II

Last October Niall Oā€™Connor, Clare minor hurling coach and a member of the Eire Ɠg club in Ennis, wrote a letter circulated to every club in Clare. It was prompted, he said, by the fact the Clare Under-16 hurlers had been left without a manager since March. No coach, no strength and conditioning work. No guidance on nutrition. ā€œA scandal,ā€ he wrote.

There was the failure to replace Kelvin Harold, Clareā€™s underage strength and conditioning coach who left in April. Clare havenā€™t won an Under-20 game since 2015, he said. ā€œWe have no coaching or player development committee, we have no taskforce, we have no pathway.ā€

The letter broadened out from there. He touched on topics that have inflamed the mood in Clare for years, including the state of Caherlohan, the county training facility that has absorbed nearly ā‚¬5m in costs, still afflicted by pitch-drainage issues that left the hurling squad seeking alternative training venues last winter. He asked why Clareā€™s development teams werenā€™t being overseen by more All-Ireland winners.

ā€œAnthony Daly, the heartbeat and leader of our 1995 and 1997 winning teams and former director of Limerickā€™s hurling academy said last October, ā€˜I am unsure if I could work with a number of top officials in the county board, the culture is all wrongā€™ā€¦ If I was the person holding that man and others of that ilk back, I would walk out the door for the good of Clare hurling.ā€

The letter resisted directly criticising Pat Fitzgerald, Clareā€™s long-standing full-time secretary, but the inference was clear. Clare needed to be run in a more modern way. It translated into a motion from Eire Ɠg to Clareā€™s annual convention last December proposing an independent five-person committee to perform a root-and-branch strategic review of Clare GAA, bringing proposals back to the clubs before the end of 2021. The motion was deferred but will be debated at the next board meeting this Tuesday.

In response, the Clare county board released details of four new sub-committees focused on finance, Caherlohan and underage development in hurling and gaelic football. Many of the names touted in the local press were instantly recognisable. Former Munster Council chief executive Simon Moroney to head the Caherlohan committee; Gary Brennan, David Tubridy and current manager Colm Collins as part of the football committee; every former Clare hurling manager back to Daly as part of the hurling committee, including Davy Fitzgerald.

Problems quickly emerged. The inclusion of Fitzgerald on the committee reportedly drew a furious reaction from Clare manager Brian Lohan, who objected to his presence while still Wexford manager. County chairman Jack Chaplin last week denied Lohan had offered his resignation. ā€œNobodyā€™s position is in doubt,ā€ he told The Clare Echo.

Some of those proposed for inclusion on the committee only found out when they read the newspaper. Members of the Clare board were reportedly annoyed names were released before being relayed to the clubs. Last week former players Frank Lohan, brother of Brian, and Darach Honan also weighed in on social media.

ā€œOther counties surging ahead with progressive approaches,ā€ said Honan. ā€œIn Clare the purpose of committees being set up seems to be to maintain power and the status quo. Change desperately needed.ā€

The issues in Clare have been simmering for months, with the hurling team emerging as the lightning rod for conflict. Lohanā€™s appointment in 2019 ended a disastrous process that featured Donal Moloney walking away in exasperation at his treatment by the board, a statement from the playing squad criticising the board and the appointment of Louis Mulqueen ā€” the executiveā€™s preferred choice ā€” spiked by club delegates who insisted on a better selection procedure.

Lohanā€™s time as manager since has been marked with difficulties. Resources have been scarce. Training gear didnā€™t arrive on time. Meals were also an issue. Tensions between Lohan, the Clare management and Fitzgerald broke out on the sideline against Wexford last season and the politics underpinning everything has prompted questions within Clare. Was the lack of support a sign Lohan was being subtly forced out? Is Fitzgeraldā€™s potential inclusion on the hurling committee the beginning of his eventual return to Clare?

Everything is polarised right now. Last year Clare suffered losses totalling nearly ā‚¬500,000, with tiny fundraising returns recorded on the balance sheets in the past couple of years. Allegations of online bullying against Pat and Davy Fitzgerald have also intensified the general mood.

On Friday Eire Ɠg released precise details of its proposed seven-man committee comprising seven current or former chief executives, including Tony Garry of Davy Stockbrokers and Mark Oā€™Connell of Repucon Consulting, who have produced strategic reports for Munster Rugby and Munster GAA, the FAI, Cycling Ireland and Llanelli Scarlets.

Thatā€™s their pitch. The county board have made theirs. The need for change is clear but the mood is like a tinderbox. A single spark could start the fire.

8 Likes

Roh roh for pat and davy

1 Like

TAN will be all over that

This Tighe fella has an awful opinion of himself.

First Dela, now the Fitzgeraldā€™s and I believe heā€™s trying to take down the great JP McManus in the background too.

It seems you donā€™t like journalists who arenā€™t part of the establishment. Interesting revelation.

Fianna FĆ il voters love excusing corruption

@peddlerscross is a big Lowry man

Zero Hour is upon us

Is it being live streamed?

ā€œRead the standing orders Pat Fitz! read them!ā€

2 Likes

Hardly. Perestroika is a while off yet

How the fuck do you expect them to connect a video camera to a printer.

2 Likes

Jesusā€¦

Eire Og motion essentially passed with minor adjustments

1 Like

I believe the Sunday times will be worth buying tomorrow

7 Likes

I heard Noel Considine on Clare fm the other morning he was meant to be on talking about addiction issues during the pandemic etc. After a few minutes talking about that he launches into a stout defence of Pat and Davy, Pat has given his life to Clare etc etc.

Mallet is a hired gun for Davy down on in Wexford.

I had dealings with a sales rep from Davys club earlier this week, he launched into tirade about cowards behind keyboards sticking the knife into the Fitzys. I nodded away smiling.

When he pushed for the sale I told him to go easyā€¦ And that I was getting 3 quotes, unlike Clare got for the GPS trackers.

He didnā€™t like it one bit :eyes:

32 Likes

Iā€™d say you were biting your tongue the whole way through the conversation waiting to deliver that last bit.
Well played sir!