Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

I cant speak to that but his frustrations were very similar to those of Lohan I expect.

They weren’t.

Work rate yes. Technical skills no.

1 Like

I’d question that too. Last year was a complete shit show so hard to evaluate any of that. But Liam Ryan is certainly a better hurler technically than when he was first in, same goes for Paudie Foley and I’d be saying Jack O Connor too has come on a lot. A lot of players have stagnated and some gone backwards. You’d also argue that those mentioned have just improved naturally over time. Tactically, bar the complete collapse against Tipp, they’ve largely improved in game time tactical scenarios which is a skill in itself.

But the system Davy has in place is too reliant on the system, rather than a basis in being better hurlers. When it goes wrong, it will leave them with on plan b to try get it back

:shushing_face:

He took all the hurling out of Tony Kelly, our generational player. Done the same with Conor McDonald in Wexford. His system can get to a certain point and then it breaks down. The Clare team in 2018 played better hurling than the 2013 version, he set Clares golden generation back and ruined them.

Golden generation?

can anyone sort this shite in Clare

remarkable county in so many ways to gather up 3 all ireland senior titles in 25 years after being in the doldrums for so long, to be fighting like children now is just sad

surely there is someone that bring a bit of leadership and unity

Four u21 all Ireland’s in five years and the chip lads would be saying same. Don’t cod yourself

1 Like

There is a very simple and obvious way to heal this and move forward but it won’t be easy. There is one family central to this and their removal won’t fix everything but it certainly will lead to a far greater unity and purpose in Clare Gaa. But some blood letting will have to take place to achieve it - like toppling any dictatorship

Underage ffs.

Nice article from Tony griffin in the indo today, a man that made the most of his talents.

2 Likes

Really likeable guy. Great hurler but no BS with him. Worked one summer with him. He has so much to offer in society and is brilliant in engaging all types of people across different age groups.

1 Like

Always struck me as a man very comfortable in his own skin. Criminally underrated in Clare as a hurler too.

1 Like

That’s usually what they’re term “Golden Generation” refers to though? Underage teams coming through.

They were far and away the most talented group Clare have ever had come through together in their history.

He was never right after the cycle across Canada. In 2006 he was one of the best forwards in the country

The cycle finished him as a hurler. Both from a physical perspective and I think he realised there was more to life than it.

From his debut in 2002 up to 2006 he was a great forward surrounded by five one paced forwards and could stand out in all six positions. His form in 2005 and 2006 was excellent and all the more impressive given that he was studying in Canada at the time.

Pretty much dragged Ballyea to a county final from the senior b championship back in 2003 as well.

Disgraceful. The inaction of the delegates is pathetic. Nero like.

I believe the term stooks is apt here