Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

OMFG.

Utterly insane. But at the same time, it’s remarkable to see how effective PR can be when you feed the media simple stats to regurgitate. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen it repeated over the last two days.

Mark Dunphy playing a blinder there

Going by that- TJ Ryan has a 63% win rate in 2016 with Limerick… A very decent year.

1 Like

It’s amazing to see how they have convinced half the country that the squad are actually quite useless, incapable of doing much better than reaching a quarter-final every 4/5 years, and that Davy is a misunderstood genius. All of this done under the cover of an apparent fierce commitment to ‘defending them boys’.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure you could make a statistical argument that we have actually outperformed Kilkenny this year, wins per head of population or something similar.

1 Like

Anyone for now, Joe. Reestablishing the principle that the manager should be somewhat accountable for performances would be a great first step.

1 Like

2 Likes

Tgats what some Cork people (AND TUM) try to say about JBM and the Cork hurlers.

The fact is i don’t think we have any idea how good the hurlers are in Cork. And i am convinced the same is true in Clare. Who have ability above most.

Lack a bit of size though. Tipp, Galway & KK have that. It takes very good tactics and training to hurl your way around those advantages. I don’t think Davy got anywhere near it.

I doubt you can begin to understand how badly he has fucked up their conditioning work. Joe O’Connor walked away from it because he just couldn’t stick it anymore. Open arguments with Davy on the training field because of Davy insisting on players doing long sprints when the session was supposed to be over. Endurance running being done the morning after evening strength sessions.

Of all the things he fails to understand, the worst is that he just doesn’t understand recovery. He is of the ilk that believe mental strength is all and tiredness doesn’t really exist. So flog the players relentlessly and they will be mentally strong on the big day. That players can’t win a sprint for a ball, are getting rag-dolled by smaller opponents, are dying out of games despite doing endless endurance work all escapes his attention.

4 Likes

Makes sense, that’s what his team went through in the 90s and he’s trying to do the same?

Also, FAO @carryharry & @The_Most_Infamous

:popcorn:

1 Like

That post makes alot of sense based on what I have seen of Clare in the past year or so.

What’s the story with the 31 back room staff?

How is that broken down?

Who pays for it?

I can’t see another county touching him after this, so I’d say he has to brazen it out. Although, based on comments to the media, he seems to think he is being badly wronged here with the criticism.

@carryharry and @The_Most_Infamous

It’s consistent with what he has done with every single team he has ever had, from the Clare U21s in the late 90s, to LIT, to his senior IC roles. That it is what he went through in the 90s is no excuse. Enough people have tried to convince him of the madness of it, to no avail. How long can a sane man continue to argue with a brick wall?

No team’s hurling speeds up under him. Every side he manages turns into a plodding, one-paced team that can never find another gear when they need it. Just look at how Waterford’s style of hurling changed under him. Speed doesn’t develop under conditions of extreme fatigue. No one who knows what they’re doing does speed work when players are exhausted.

That’s what is killing us under him, and why it’s so galling to see players who played as fast and exciting a style of hurling as we’ve ever had turn into trundling robots. They are slow as fuck in everything they do. They think slow, they move slow, they hurl slow. We know why, but there’s nothing we can do about it.

3 Likes

Interesting. On the hurling slow part I would have thought that it’s somewhat because they’re stymied by the “systems” and overthinking things. It all adds up and makes sense though.

Makes @carryharry look a right fool too.

2 Likes

That’s a pure red herring. The most a lot of them lads are getting is a free dinner here and there.

There’s a ‘war chest’ in place, made up by some very generous donations. The expenses are off the chart.

Still, DO’C is hardly doing it for a free dinner.

The more you look at it, the more 2013 was the u21 setup’s AI.

1 Like

+1