Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

Incorrect

Probably balances out Jason McCarthy staying on the field for smacking Lynch in the head.

2 Likes

He wasn’t and I thought he clearly was. When the camera angle is panned out, you can clearly see he was still a full 1.5/2 strides outside the square when it was in flight.

didnt see the match today , heard 10k attendance

will be packed out come the championship fixture at the same venue

That was a beautiful sideline cut by Mounsey in the second half today. Fairly tight angle and off his left side from the left sideline adding to the difficulty.

Did Duggan get on any ball after he came in? He was in a few rucks alright but I can’t think of him coming away with much. Might take him a good while yet to get back up to speed

I was in the shed, he seemed to be over on the other wing. Can only recall the one ball and he was bottled up

Colm Galvin on Woolies podcast was a handy listen. Seems a sound fella.

Whats the story here?

They’re “only” being paid mileage for up to 4 training sessions a week

1 Like

Who trains more than 4 nights a week for an amateur sport :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

Hard to read much into todays game. Has a challenge match feel and both teams flooded the area between the 2 45s meaning that time to deliver decent ball into the inside forwards was at a premium.

Conor Cleary did the warm up bit didn’t play so can only assume he picked up a knock. Aaron Fitz played full back and did about as well as expected on Conor Whelan while Mike Gough did as well as expected i the other corner - I wouldn’t have thought he was close to I/C level from his underage performances but he has put himself in the mix to see gametime come the round robin. Cathal Mannion played a withdrawn role which meant Paul Flanagan sweeped and got on a lot of ball which he used well but Mannion hit 4 or 5 points from loose enough ball out the field and probably had as many wides.

Half backline were ok again, sounds like Diarmuid Ryan is a doubt for the opening round but should be back as the round robin progresses.

Shane Golden was Shane Golden, hard to see why he is persisted with after a decade of fairly brainless hurling.

Ryan Taylor was excellent and David Fitz had another decent showing at 11. They had 9 points between them. If Fitzgerald can put together any kind of consistent form it will help add another dimension to us given his ball carrying and ability to take a score.

Kelly and Meehan both scored lovely points but were living off scraps for the most part but the Galway full backline were physical and won most of the exchanges. Ian Galvin came on and won a penalty but did nothing else, was subbed off again. I don’t think he is a Lohan type of hurler. Duggan had a couple of nice touches but hard to gauge where he is at form wise.

Shane O’Donnell started back training yesterday.

I’d expect it to be something like the below for the first round of the championship
Quilligan
Hayes-Cleary-Flanagan
Browne-Conlon-David Mc
Jason Mc-Malone
Taylor- Fitzgerald-Crotty
Meehan-Shanagher-Kelly

With a two man inside line and Taylor/Kelly/Malone being somewhat interchangeable.

Reidy, Duggan, SOD and Diarmuid Ryan all likely to come back into the side depending on form/fitness. Aidan McCarthy could also be available for the second half of the round robin

1 Like

What’s the story with Duggan? That move to Oz when he was at the top of his game hasn’t helped it seems

He picked up an ankle injury at the tail end of the club championship which needed a minor op to clean up. Meant he is only back training a month or so. Big ask to expect a fella who had missed two years of hurling to be up to speed without a full preseason behind him. Would be surprised if he is anything more than an option off the bench this year

Beat Galway in a challenge match Friday night. SOD and Diarmuid Ryan both featured which is a positive.

Seems Shane Meehan tweaked his hammer, assume he won’t feature for the 20s at all now another year with a glut of injuries in the lead up to the 20s championship - Oisin O’Donnell and a couple of others also in a race against time to be fit.

1 Like

What kind of team did galway have out? Looking forward to the trip to ennis this year

Clare U20 H
C Broderick

I McNamara
A Hogan
J Conneally

J Collins
C Galvin
C O’Meara

O Clune
C Hegarty

S Punch
P Crotty
C Murphy

J Guyler
J Kirwan
D Cahill

1 Like

Full panel

Clare Under 20 Hurling Panel: Conner Hegarty (Inagh-Kilnamona) (Captain); Cian Broderick (Clarecastle), Diarmuid Cahill (Corofin), Oran Cahill (Éire Óg), Oisin Clune (Feakle), Jarlath Collins (Éire Óg), John Conneally (Clooney-Quin), Patrick Crotty (Scariff), James Doherty (Clarecastle), Dylan Downes (Sixmilebridge), Senan Dunford (Tubber), Adam Enright (Newmarket-on-Fergus), Cian Galvin (Clarecastle), Josh Guyler (Inagh-Kilnamona), Keelan Hartigan (Scariff), Adam Hogan (Feakle), Darragh Keogh (Clooney-Quin), Jack Kirwan (Parteen), Conor Leen (Corofin), Darragh McDermott (Parteen), Liam McInerney (Tulla), Ian McNamara (Killanena), Shane Meehan (Banner), Diarmuid Mullins (Crusheen), Cormac Murphy (O’Callaghan’s Mills), Liam Murphy (Wolfe Tones), Rory O’Connell (Clarecastle), Oisin O’Donnell (Crusheen), Colm O’Meara (Clonlara), Peter Power (Newmarket-on-Fergus), Shane Punch (Ruan), Sean Ronan (Kilmaley), Sean Rynne (Inagh-Kilnamona), Aaron Shanahan (Tulla), Gearoid Sheedy (Ogonnelloe), Keith Smyth (Killanena), Conor Whelan (Whitegate), Sean Wiley (Bodyke), Sean Withycombe (Tulla)

No Keelan Hartigan? Thought he was decent for UL Freshers.