Classic wastes of public money in the last few years?

As you can imagine there are quite a few. Only list one per post please. Don’t get greedy give someone else a chance.

I would say spending 150,000 on spraying the Glen of Imaal with weedkiller so Irish army ordnance didn’t hit an unsuspecting sheep hiding behind a few ferns, would be right up there.

Easy. The GGA

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]As you can imagine there are quite a few. Only list one per post please. Don’t get greedy give someone else a chance.

I would say spending 150,000 on spraying the Glen of Imaal with weedkiller so Irish army ordnance didn’t hit an unsuspecting sheep hiding behind a few ferns, would be right up there.[/quote]

very funny:)

i’ll go with the e voting. not alone the fixed cost involve but apparently costing us a fortune in storage.

That prize money fund for horse and greyhound racing was something that shocked me.

300k for the Xmas tree in O’Connell Street made out of balls seems a little excessive in these straitened times.

The spire or the spike or whatever the fuck it is. I’m sure there are plenty but that one always comes to mind.

Obviously this is topical and all, but had this thread appeared a year ago I’d have said the same thing: FS.

While all the shite was going on last week about fucking haircuts and space cunts every commentator who lambasted FS felt they had to sufix their criticism with ‘but obviously FS do remarkable work on the ground and the proflgacy of the big wigs shouldn’t take from the genuine effort of those at he coalface’. My hole they do important work.

Despite claims during the week that the FS mandate changed over the past numer of years, the fact remains that they were rooted in the past and the entire culture was about training for the unemployed, while the economy was at 4% unemployment.

[quote name=‘Paul Codd’s No 1 Potato’]Obviously this is topical and all, but had this thread appeared a year ago I’d have said the same thing: FS.

While all the shite was going on last week about fucking haircuts and space cunts every commentator who lambasted FS felt they had to sufix their criticism with ‘but obviously FS do remarkable work on the ground and the proflgacy of the big wigs shouldn’t take from the genuine effort of those at he coalface’. My hole they do important work.

Despite claims during the week that the FS mandate changed over the past numer of years, the fact remains that they were rooted in the past and the entire culture was about training for the unemployed, while the economy was at 4% unemployment.[/quote]

they train apprentices too

one thousand million euro’s worth? that would want to be some quality wall chasing.

and if they had trained said apprentices to do something more economicaly sustainable we may not find ourselves in the current pickle.

i wouldnt blame trainee plumbers for the economic crisis

An oldie but a goldie-

That stupid millenium clock they tried to put in the Liffey. Fished out on a regular basis to fix and rarely visible.

The 17 attempts and the cost to get the Red Cow roundabout right.

The buy-out of the West Link toll outfit.

The entire decentralisation debacle.

A minor example but endemic right accross the whole public sector

12 German Mid-Wives on 3 year service contracts
All 12 took Paid Maternity Leave within the 1st 15 months; and three of the same twelve had a second baby before their 3 years were up.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]A minor example but endemic right accross the whole public sector

12 German Mid-Wives on 3 year service contracts
All 12 took Paid Maternity Leave within the 1st 15 months; and three of the same twelve had a second baby before their 3 years were up.[/quote]

im with you on this one mgg, women should be used sparingly in the workplace, im not saying they should not be allowed hold a job but they should decide upon leaving school what they want to do…work or be traditional. They are for making diners and babies in my view and by introducing them to industry we are asking for trouble.
well said mgg

to the original question , the funding of horse and dog sports is mindboggling

[quote=“HBV*”]im with you on this one mgg, women should be used sparingly in the workplace, im not saying they should not be allowed hold a job but they should decide upon leaving school what they want to do…work or be traditional. They are for making diners and babies in my view and by introducing them to industry we are asking for trouble.
well said mgg[/quote]

a bit like the Maintenance Department in the same institution
Overtime, Sick Cover, Weekend Allowances etc measure 7 times the total Basic Pay.

Making all the DART platforms longer.

For far less money they could have invested in the signalling near Connolly to allow more trains through and then they’d have a better service and they wouldn’t need ridiculously long trains.

[quote name=‘Paul Codd’s No 1 Potato’]Obviously this is topical and all, but had this thread appeared a year ago I’d have said the same thing: FS.

Despite claims during the week that the FS mandate changed over the past numer of years, the fact remains that they were rooted in the past and the entire culture was about training for the unemployed, while the economy was at 4% unemployment.[/quote]

Molloy is to be questioned today on the purchase of land in Birr (his home town) for 1.5m. It was for a new FAS headquaters that is not now likely to be ever built. They are also questioning the 1m upgrading of a FAS office in Birr that only housed 20 staff.

Consultants, Consultants and more fucking consulants. Cant these highly paid ministers and civil servants think for themselves