Classic wastes of public money in the last few years?

e-voting would be the major one but thats already been mentioned.

I’d use the aircorps one that cropped up a few weeks ago. Sold a bunch of helicopters to some firm in Vegas for a couple of hundred grand. The lads in Vegas then sold them on to some Government in South America for something like 18 million quid.

My salary for the last two years.

No.

Most Contract/ Interim Managers saved more money than they cost.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]No.

Most Contract/ Interim Managers saved more money than they cost.[/quote]

Surely we don’t need both consultants and civil servants? What did they before we had money for consultants? And do we need consulatants for virtually every issue? Sick of hearing that ministers are waiting for a report before they take action on any issue

External Consultants are hired by the long term cardigans and Ministers to confirm what subbed in interims told them a year before.

At around twenty times the price. Why do we elect stupid politicians, or is there any other type? The current shower make The Keystone Kops look sharp

Paying for information that
a. they were already told about
and
b. they have no interest intention or stomach to either follow up or implement is a lot more than 20 times the price.

also factor in the 18months it takes to get a Consultants Report; then there is the additional 12 month delay while its being reviewed before being published.

The public services pay bill alone is 34% higher than it should be, and that is for those in service. In addition to that wastage, the vast majority of Penioners are getting pensions that were benchmarked on jobs they never did.

Noel Dempsey was on the radio yesterday telling us that a Deloitte report had confirmed his “hunch” that some buses were being left idle in Dublin. A fucking hunch! He’s the Minister for Transport, it’s his job to know.

Paralysis by analysis. Thats really cheering me up this morning MGG

just call me Miss Sunshine

Bertie’s make up bill. What was it? €60k?

[quote=“HBV*”]im with you on this one mgg, women should be used sparingly in the workplace, im not saying they should not be allowed hold a job but they should decide upon leaving school what they want to do…work or be traditional. They are for making diners and babies in my view and by introducing them to industry we are asking for trouble.
well said mgg[/quote]

So they should work in the construction industry then?

That paralysis keeps me in a job.
As one of those consultants, I never stop being amazed at the stupdity of most clients.
You’d think the blindingly obvious would be simple to see but no…

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]That paralysis keeps me in a job.
As one of those consultants, I never stop being amazed at the stupdity of most clients.
You’d think the blindingly obvious would be simple to see but no…[/quote]

Surely its not the fact that they cant see the obvious but rather fear of accountabilty. If they can blame any mistakes on someone else they get to keep their snouts in the trough.
Has any minister ever resigned because of poor spending decisions?

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]That paralysis keeps me in a job.
You’d think the blindingly obvious would be simple to see but no…[/quote]

They see it alright but its the changes that can’t be tolerated.

Sometimes they don’t want change for sure but there I’ve come across a whole load of people that know nothing about their job (not limited to the public sector).

Classic cliche here but you could use the 80:20 rule when thinking about staff…

WBY

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Sometimes they don’t want change for sure but there I’ve come across a whole load of people that know nothing about their job (not limited to the public sector).

Classic cliche here but you could use the 80:20 rule when thinking about staff…

WBY[/quote]

I think the problem in the public sector is candidates usually get promoted to one area because of previous performance in an unrelated area…so they are higher up the chain and have more responsibility in area they have no experience in…so in effect somebody in a big Departmnet could get promoted from Personnel to Finance unit and be in charge of a financial system like Oracle…hence the need for consultants…obviously consultants (especially Irish, being the hungry cunts we are) don’t like to pass on too much info as it will then make them redundant…

Kinda Sorta
But what I find is that they (Career Public Servants) are great at the Interview and thats where the points are recorded; and not on Job performance, previously or potentially.

You mention Finance specifically; how many of them qualified in industry? NONE.

Who do you want to hire; someone who never prepared a General Ledger Journal or one who took accounts to Trial Balance every month in a SME.

Schools in prefabaricated building is a huge huge waste as they are extremely expensive for department to rent and they have to build a permanent building in the end. know of schools that have cost 2million each to house in temporary accomodation over past five years or so and they still haven’t received notification of permanent site. meanwhile construction sector is going down the tubes. no foresight and complete waste of money but that’s what we get for continually voting same fools in time and again.

[quote=“HBV*”]im with you on this one mgg, women should be used sparingly in the workplace, im not saying they should not be allowed hold a job but they should decide upon leaving school what they want to do…work or be traditional. They are for making diners and babies in my view and by introducing them to industry we are asking for trouble.
well said mgg[/quote]
let them work if they want to but no need to pay them,couple a hang sandwhiches herentheres plenty,wouldnt want them faintin r anything