Club Championships 2009

Well I said I’d start a new thread for the coming season.
Things are kicking off in Limerick this weekend with the start of the senior football championship. I’ve posted my previews below that I put up another site (not that anyone here will be too interested in it!)

When are your own championships kicking off?

[B]Group 1

Monaleen V Drom[/B]
Hard to know what to expect in this one. Drom are coming off the back of a very long year and the enthusiasm and focus may not be 100% with them yet. But if it was even 85 - 90% they should have enough to dispose of Monaleen.

Monaleen were shocking in the couple of games I saw them in last year and were lucky not to be relegated. Again the stories are coming out this year that they are flying in training and with Ger Lawlor back in charge I would believe it, but I’ll give the nod in this one to Drom. They should have too much all over the pitch for the city boys to handle. Drom.

St Senans V Fr Caseys

This has the potential to be the game of the weekend. Two good strong senior sides who both made the semi finals last year. I’m not sure that Senans preparations have been going all that well this year and they also have Ian Ryan and Andrew Lane on the injury list which is a massive blow to any team to have players of that calibre missing.

Fr Caseys should be close enough to full strength and have power and pace all over the pitch. There forwards are well able to score and I think this may be the difference between the sides. Fr Caseys.

Ballylanders V Hospital

The question is “By how much?” I’m probably doing Hospital a dis service but they must have been cursing there luck when the draw was made for this year championship. They have struggled badly in recent years and it is hard to see where they will find to goods to beat the finalists of the past two years. Ballylanders.

Group 2

St Kierans V Pallasgreen

St Kierans haven’t made much of an impression in recent years and have been lucky to avoid the drop on occasions. That said they have a decent side with plenty of good players, none more so than Johnny McCarthy and Jim Donovan. This mid field partnership could be where this game is won and lost. They also have new recruit in the form of Gary Thompson from Laois (know anything about him MBB?) at center forward who is an imposing presence and defences could find him a handful. Kierans probably have enough elsewhere around the pitch to get the better of Pallasgreen.

Pallasgreen are generally slow starters to the year and the stories I am hearing again this year that training hasn’t been going great for them so far. But that said you couldn’t write them off as you know what you’ll get with Pallasgreen regardless of when you play them and that’s tough, hard honest football. They have a few county lads who should be flying it but I think Kierans may just prove too much too soon for them. St Kierans.

Adare V Ballysteen
The old versus the new. Adare have there or there abouts in the senior championship for the past 5 years and it was only pure misfortune that cost them a place in the knockout stages last year. They are a quality football side will fancy themselves to put it up to Drom and Ballylanders this year. They will be happy with the group they have and looking to pick up early points before the hurling takes off in earnest. They will be without Conor Fitzgerald who had a shoulder operation recently but will be ably serviced by likes of the Lavins, Aidan O’Rahilly and Mikey Lyons.

Ballysteen on the other hand are playing their first senior championship game in many years following last years promotion from intermediate. A solid young side who play a nice open brand of football that should be well suited to senior football. That said they would need to be at there very best to worry this Adare side. They will be without Maurice Carrig and Pa Ranahan, both injured while on county duty, so they will be looking to Shane Gallagher and Raymond Hayes to lead the way.

It should be a good game but the experience of Adare should tell in the end. Adare.

Newcastle West V Claughan

Newcastle West go into this off the back of a draw with Drom in the West Senior Championship last weekend so things seem to going well for them. They should have too much fire power for a Claughan side who haven’t trouble the latter stages of the championship in a few years. NCW.

get to fuck runt

This thread is a wind up.

Ye’re on the ball this morning lads. It must be the excitement of both a new user from AFR and a preview of the Limerick Senior Football Championship that has ye so perky.

Back in action down Dise way this weekend as well…

DLS begin the defence of our Munster title against old rival Mt Sion. Sion are going to be missing Ken McGrath, but DLS are without Brian Phelan… and since last year Dereck McGrath, Alan Kelly and James Quirke have opted out, and Lee Hayes is out long term with a knee injury picked up in the all-ireland. Will be a tight game with tow young teams on show, but the appetite is still there…

An Rinn have there first ever senior game against Lismore also the weekend, so a big day for Gaelteacht team.

We have senior hurling championship action for 3 weeks in a row now.

What’s Limerick? And also what’s this Desie thing?

Cork results so far. An absolute disgrace the way the championship is treated down here. Getting earlier and earlier every year. If you win your 1st round you’ll be waiting at least 2 months for next game, if you loose you’ll play the 2nd round in 2 weeks and your season is over before end of May. Summer sports my hole.
I’ve highlighted the favourite 2-3 in each grade.

First Round - Senior

Ilen Rovers 1-09 Castlehaven 1-09
Aghada 1-08 O Donovan Rossa 0-08
Dohenys 2-12 Mallow 1-07
Douglas 1-07 Naomh Aban 0-08
Bishopstown 0-10 St.Nicks 0-08
Nemo Rangers 0-13 Ballincollig 0-11
25/4 - Carbery Rangers vs St.Finbarrs in Newcestown
Clonakilty 0-12 Na Piarsaigh 0-09
Duhallow 2-07 C.I.T. 0-12
Seandun 1-10 Avondhu 1-08
Carrigdhoun 1-09 Beara 0-07
Imokilly 0-14 Muskerry 1-08 - Huge shock
Carbery 2-25 U.C.C. 0-06 - Disgraceful performance from UCK

First Round - Premier Intermediate

Beal Atha nGhoarthaidh 1-08 Glanmire 0-08
Valley Rovers 1-09 Clyda Rovers 0-06
Kiskeam 3-12 Bantry 1-14 - Huge shock, Bantry were senior last year, Kiskeam nearly got relegated from this grade. Bantry could be in free fall.
St.Vincents 0-08 Newmarket 0-05
Grenagh 1-12 Glenville 0-06
St.Michaels 1-10 Killavullen 1-06
Newcestown 0-13 Nemo Rangers 0-07
Mayfield 0-08 Ballinora 0-08
Ballinora 1-13 Mayfield 2-08 (aet)

First Round - Intermediate A

Castletownbere 2-09 Fermoy 1-07
Canovee 0-12 Youghal 1-05
Adrigole 1-10 Aghabullogue 1-07
Eire Og 1-15 Delaneys 0-03
Cill na Matra 1-12 Ballyclough 0-06
Carrigaline 0-16 Kildorrery 2-08
Ballydesmond 1-09 Courcey Rovers 0-09
Macroom 1-10 Kinsale 0-09

Flano, you might want to get your computer checked out…

The site displays GAA – you see GGA
The site displays Dise – you see Desie

Either it is a technical glitch or your efforts at banter are gone to the dogs.

Hyup.

You don’t worry about Limerick Flango. You wouldn’t be able to hack it down here, you’re too soft.

We don’t kick off in Laois until the Summer, league runs right through til June. Hurling kicks off in July and football in August. I will report back then.

I’d tear the shit out of wherever I go. Pox holes arent worth my time and effort. We Americans scoff at this rock.

Flano fought in the American Civil War, dont fook with him.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Cork results so far. An absolute disgrace the way the championship is treated down here. Getting earlier and earlier every year. If you win your 1st round you’ll be waiting at least 2 months for next game, if you loose you’ll play the 2nd round in 2 weeks and your season is over before end of May. Summer sports my hole.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That’s a joke. In fairness to the Limerick GAA the championship is pretty well structured. Granted they leave it run on a bit late btu in the football you are guaranteed to be in championship action until the middle of August. It’s a league system 12 teams, 2 groups, So every team is guaranteed a minimum of 5 games or a maximum of 8. My only gripe would be that you can be waiting too long in between games. Our matches this year are:

26th April,
10th May,
26th June,
9th August
30th August

:smiley:

I was on the losing side unfortunately.

Take a look at my preview there of the St Kierans V Pallasgreen game and see can you offer me any info on the player from Laois.

I was on the losing side unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

Gary Thompson? Never heard of him to be honest.

I was on the losing side unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I set em up…:smiley:

Ya, he just looked like the big strong type that may have played intercounty at some stage. He wasn’t up to much but then it is Laois. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wexford Football championship starts this weekend, game on this evening actually. Hurling gets underway then in a couple of weeks.
As usual in Wexford then, the second round of games will be played early November and the whole championship will be ran off in time for Christmas shopping day on December 8th.