Club Championships 2009

If he’s big and strong then he never played for Laois, we only take on lads under 6ft.

Gives ye a chance to get knocked out of the AI series first;)

:smiley:

The AI Finals are played in September, If we’re still in it til August I’ll be fooking delighted.

Kilkenny Hurling League/Championship starts this weekend also,

heres my thoughts

Clara V St Martins,St Martin
St Martins were in the 07 Co Senior final and gave a good account of themselves with a Young team and have a big pick of talent,Clara are in thier 2nd Year at Senior level,only fared middling last Season and found it tough,Muckalee will have a few more strong hurlers and with the majority of the CLara side away in College id imagine training has been stop start,for that reason,St Martins.

Carrickshock v Young Irelands(Gowran)
GOwran survived in the Senior grade last Year by the skin of thier teeth,springing a surprise to beat Dicksboro in the rel.final.Things wont be any easier for them this Year with an ageing side and only a trickle of new talent coming through,this game wont be one they will be targetting
as a priority to win,Carrickshock are a strong outfit powered by 3 Tennysons,Ml Rice,David Franks and a few Powers,even without the injured Richie they should win this by 6 0r 7 points.Carrickshock

O Loughlin Gaels v Tullaroan
City club OLG are always fairly strong at Senior level and boast plenty of inter County players at all levels in thier ranks,Martin Comerford might be a little over relied on at times for th scores but they should have eneogh about them to beat limited Senior side Tullaroan who Tommy Walsh aside wouldnt look hectic at a lower level.O Loughlin Gaels.

Graigue/Ballycallan v Erins Own
GBC have waned a bit in recent Years its hard for a Country side to keep a flow of talent coming through,thier backs arent as solid these Days but they are strong around the field and Senior ne boys Erins Own will find the going tough against them,Erins Own won a poor Inter championship last Year but won the minor A title aswell and will be trying to bring some young blood through,theres no mercy at this level though,id expect GBC to win by 4 or 5.

Fenians v Ballyhale Shamrocks
Johnstown are probably glad to be getting this one out of the way early, its a hding to nothing theyre on here,most likely wont have the guns up front to outshoot Ballyhale,one of thier better backs PJ Delaney missing wont help either.Shamrocks by 8 0r 9.

James Stephens v Dunnamaggin

Dunnamaggin have a good solid side but cant afford to be without anyone,id say they will have Noel Hickey back if they do they could spring a surprise here they have the hurlers to do it,The Village dont ever start the Year that well and have a good few injuries at the moment, they will badly miss Donnacha Cody and Brian McEvoy in particular.A draw maybe.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Wexford Football championship starts this weekend, game on this evening actually. Hurling gets underway then in a couple of weeks.
As usual in Wexford then, the second round of games will be played early November and the whole championship will be ran off in time for Christmas shopping day on December 8th.[/QUOTE]

Football fixtures in Wexico this weekend:
Shelmaliers vs St Anne’s
Duffry Rovers vs Fethard
Bannow-Ballymitty vs St Martin’s
Sarsfields vs Ballyhogue
Kilanerin vs Starlights
Castletown vs Taghmon-Camross
Clongeen vs Adamstown
Horeswood vs Gusserane

Of course, the fixtures committee then came up with the splendid idea of playing splitting the 8 hurling games over the following 2 weekends by playing 4 games on each weekend (2/3 May and 8/9 May) instead of playing all the games on the bank holiday weekend to give the seniors more time to prepare for those Offaly filthpigs.

[quote=“THE LINK WALSH”]

Kilkenny Hurling League/Championship starts this weekend also,
heres my thoughts

Clara V St Martins,St Martin
St Martins were in the 07 Co Senior final and gave a good account of themselves with a Young team and have a big pick of talent,Clara are in thier 2nd Year at Senior level,only fared middling last Season and found it tough,Muckalee will have a few more strong hurlers and with the majority of the CLara side away in College id imagine training has been stop start,for that reason,St Martins.[/QUOTE]

Could be the best of the games this weekend…

Also fancy Dunamaggin to beat the village…

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Could be the best of the games this weekend…

Also fancy Dunamaggin to beat the village…[/QUOTE]

The big one for me is Rower/Inistioge v Graignamanagh in Thomastown Tomorrow evening at 7pm,we should be beating them well if we are to have any chance of winning the intermediate in
09,id be hopeful eneogh for our chances this Year but we might still be 2 or 3 hurlers short.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Cork results so far. An absolute disgrace the way the championship is treated down here. Getting earlier and earlier every year. If you win your 1st round you’ll be waiting at least 2 months for next game, if you loose you’ll play the 2nd round in 2 weeks and your season is over before end of May. Summer sports my hole.
I’ve highlighted the favourite 2-3 in each grade.

First Round - Senior

Ilen Rovers 1-09 Castlehaven 1-09
Aghada 1-08 O Donovan Rossa 0-08
Dohenys 2-12 Mallow 1-07
Douglas 1-07 Naomh Aban 0-08
Bishopstown 0-10 St.Nicks 0-08
Nemo Rangers 0-13 Ballincollig 0-11
25/4 - Carbery Rangers vs St.Finbarrs in Newcestown
Clonakilty 0-12 Na Piarsaigh 0-09
Duhallow 2-07 C.I.T. 0-12
Seandun 1-10 Avondhu 1-08
Carrigdhoun 1-09 Beara 0-07
Imokilly 0-14 Muskerry 1-08 - Huge shock
Carbery 2-25 U.C.C. 0-06 - Disgraceful performance from UCK

First Round - Premier Intermediate

Beal Atha nGhoarthaidh 1-08 Glanmire 0-08
Valley Rovers 1-09 Clyda Rovers 0-06
Kiskeam 3-12 Bantry 1-14 - Huge shock, Bantry were senior last year, Kiskeam nearly got relegated from this grade. Bantry could be in free fall.
St.Vincents 0-08 Newmarket 0-05
Grenagh 1-12 Glenville 0-06
St.Michaels 1-10 Killavullen 1-06
Newcestown 0-13 Nemo Rangers 0-07
Mayfield 0-08 Ballinora 0-08
Ballinora 1-13 Mayfield 2-08 (aet)

First Round - Intermediate A

Castletownbere 2-09 Fermoy 1-07
Canovee 0-12 Youghal 1-05
Adrigole 1-10 Aghabullogue 1-07
Eire Og 1-15 Delaneys 0-03
Cill na Matra 1-12 Ballyclough 0-06
Carrigaline 0-16 Kildorrery 2-08
Ballydesmond 1-09 Courcey Rovers 0-09
Macroom 1-10 Kinsale 0-09[/QUOTE]

Most of the games are very low scoring Kev,especially in the Senior grade,whats the standard like,would they be good games to watch?

[quote=“Bandage”]Football fixtures in Wexico this weekend:
Shelmaliers vs St Anne’s
Duffry Rovers vs Fethard
Bannow-Ballymitty vs St Martin’s
Sarsfields vs Ballyhogue
Kilanerin vs Starlights
Castletown vs Taghmon-Camross
Clongeen vs Adamstown
Horeswood vs Gusserane

Of course, the fixtures committee then came up with the splendid idea of playing splitting the 8 hurling games over the following 2 weekends by playing 4 games on each weekend (2/3 May and 8/9 May) instead of playing all the games on the bank holiday weekend to give the seniors more time to prepare for those Offaly filthpigs.[/QUOTE]

Alot of people would see it the other way, ye seem to have similar problems to Cork in fixtures etc. This cotton wool wrapping of county players is ruining the club game in Cork. Most of the senior games last week were played on a monday night, which is seriously degrading the championship.

As Eddie Veddar once said, “Everything’s changed, absolutely nothings changed…”

These are football games Link. The game with big ball, you might have seen it on tele. The scoring wouldn’t be too bad for this time of year.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Alot of people would see it the other way, ye seem to have similar problems to Cork in fixtures etc. This cotton wool wrapping of county players is ruining the club game in Cork. Most of the senior games last week were played on a monday night, which is seriously degrading the championship.

As Eddie Veddar once said, “Everything’s changed, absolutely nothings changed…”[/QUOTE]

I take your point Kev. I wouldn’t have a problem if they played two full rounds over the 2 weekends but I think it’s a waste of a weekend to split them out unnecessarily - as I say, that weekend could either be used for another full round of games or by the county teams.

:smiley:

Some of it is dreadful Link. There is huge pressure on these games as well with the relegation. If you win its also like getting into the Champions League the year after its so long before you play again, so the defenses are on top. Plus the time of year, with weather and lack of training adds to the inaccuracy. I know a few clubs, including my own who suffer from not having soccer and rugby players back for much training or games. Some play, some don’t, but they usually struggle with the scoring, as the soccer players in particular tend to be forwards.
Facilities for training is whats wins most first round matches, if you have a floodlit pitch or access to one you’ll get more “Football” training done. Most teams have only 2-3 league games played, we only had 2.
There was a few good games, but they generally involve the football only clubs, but are still low scoring because their very even teams and kinda null each other out. Castlehaven v. Ilen Rovers is one that i saw that springs to mind.
Summer football is better, and the Intermediate grades tend to be better to watch than the Senior.

Sorry i kinda misunderstood, ya splitting like that is probably unnessessary alright.

Tipperary so far

Tipperary Senior Hurling Championships

South Tipperary
Ballybacon 2-13 Ballingarry 1-14
Killenaule 1-16 Carrick Swan 1-11

Fixtures
25/04/09
Ballingarry v Carrick Swans Monroe 6.30pm
26/04/09
Mullinahone v Killenaule Fethard 6.30pm

Mid Tipperary
Fixtures
Friday 24th April
Senior Hurling Group (2) Rd (1)
Moycarkey Borris v Holycross Ballycahill in Boherlahan 7.00pm
Sunday 26th April
Senior Hurling Group (1) Rd (1)
J K Brackens v Upperchurch Drombane Ragg 2.00pm
Thurles Sarsfields v Boherlahan Dualla Ragg 3.30pm
Senior Hurling Group (2) Rd (1)
Drom – Inch v Loughmore Castleiney Templemore 7.00pm

North Tipperary
Fixtures
Sat 25-Apr-09
Senior Hurling Championship
Group 1 Round 1
Roscrea Vs Portroe in Cloughjordan @ 7:00 PM;
Group 2 Round 1
Moneygall Vs Nenagh ire g in Cloughjordan @ 5:30 PM;
Sun 26-Apr-09
Senior Hurling Championship
Group 1 Round 1
Kilruane MacDonaghs Vs Templederry Kenyons in Dolla @ 7:00 PM;
Lorrha/Dorrha Vs Kildangan in Nenagh @ 1:30 PM;
Group 2 Round 1
Burgess Vs Toomevara in Nenagh @ 3:00 PM;

West Tipperary
Kickhams 2-18 Golden/Kilfeacle 3-6
Cappawhite 3-17 Cashel KC 2-9.

Fixtures
Saturday April 25th
SHC.
In Golden @ 7.15pm. Kickhams v Clonoulty/R. Ref. Joe Cahill
Sunday April 26th
SHC.
In S.T.Park @ 5.30pm. Cashel v Golden/K. Ref. P. Russell
In S.T.Park @ 7.00pm.Cappawhite v ire g.Ref.D.Grogan

Tipperary Senior Football Championships

Senior Football Championship Preliminary Rd
Ardfinnan 0-09 J K Brackens 0-05

Fixtures
Saturday 2nd May
Senior Football Championship Rd (1) Extra Time
Moyne Templetuohy v Fr John Kenyons Moneygall 7.00pm
Monday 4th May
Senior Football Championship (1) Extra Time
Eire g Annacarty c Arravale Rovers Golden 3.00pm
Saturday 9th May
Senior Football Championship Round (1) Extra Time
Clonmel Commercials v Aherlow @ 7.30pm Cahir
Mullinahone v Killenaule @ 7.30pm O’Sullivan Pk
Loughmore Castleiney v Moyle Rovers Sat 9th @ 7.30pm Cashel
Ardfinnan v Cahir @ 7.30pm Clonmel
Fethard v Clonmel g @ 7.30pm Kilsheelan
Sunday 10th May
Senior Football Championship Rd (1) Extra Time
Thomas McDonaghs v Galtee Rovers Templetuohy 7.00pm

Clare Championship starts on the weekend of the 15/16/17 of May and second round is the week after…

Couldn’t tell you the fixtures but The Clon are playing The Mills and timber will fly I would say…Chances are it will be on in Sixmilebridge

Bit of a wash out here this weekend with all Senior Football games called off due to the weather.

Celebrity Banisteoir stars St. Patricks got their intermediate campaign of to a winning start with 0-10 to 1-06 win over newly promoted Bruff. Apparently Bruff had a free to win the game deep in injury time, but it came back off the crossbar and Pats broke down the field to kick the match winning point with the last kick of the game.

And in a good weekend for the city sides Na Piarsaigh snatched victory from Oola with a last minute goal in their intermediate game.

[quote=“The Runt”]Bit of a wash out here this weekend with all Senior Football games called off due to the weather.

Celebrity Banisteoir stars St. Patricks got their intermediate campaign of to a winning start with 0-10 to 1-06 win over newly promoted Bruff. Apparently Bruff had a free to win the game deep in injury time, but it came back off the crossbar and Pats broke down the field to kick the match winning point with the last kick of the game.

And in a good weekend for the city sides Na Piarsaigh snatched victory from Oola with a last minute goal in their intermediate game.[/quote]

Is football on the up in the city Runt? Would the whole rugby thing send more guys to the round ball to help their skills and the like?
Although in my experience rugby coaches generally tell players to avoid Gaelic Football.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Is football on the up in the city Runt? Would the whole rugby thing send more guys to the round ball to help their skills and the like?
Although in my experience rugby coaches generally tell players to avoid Gaelic Football.[/quote]

The main football clubs in the city would be Monaleen, Claughan (senior) and St. Pats and Na Piarsaigh in the intermediate.

Pats are really a club on the up in both football and hurling. The lads involved with them are doing great work, and the location they have the city wouldn’t be easiest place to keep a GAA club running, but the under age work they put in has really come to the fore in recent years. They would be favourites to go this year and play a nice style of football.

Monaleen have been a main stay at senior level for years and are always in the shake up come the end of the year (bar last year when they had a disastrous run). While Claughan have been hanging on at senior for years without really making an impression and it doesn’t look like they have much coming through. They would be in fairly close proximity to St Pats so maybe the work Pats are doing at underage is attracting more players that direction.

Na Pairsaig would traditionally have been a hurling club but have the bones of a very decent young football team. It may seems like a bit of a clich but the city sides do really seem to lack the steel of the country clubs. They always seem to be just that bit too light. Mungret are another side in Intermediate and I suppose they should be classed as a city club. They have a massive massive area to pick from probably close to 25 or 30k and seem to be putting in a lot of work to attract children to the game which is good.

The emergence of Pats and Na Piarsaig as decent football sides is a great boost in the city, but 2 senior and 3 interemediate clubs from a city of a 100k people isn’t a great return. I used to do a bit of refereeing in the city when I lived there but wouldn’t have seen much of whats happening on the ground at under age level since the Munster phenomenon has taken hold.But from what I’m hearing it’s actually having a positive effect on playing numbers.

Ard Scoil Ris have emerged as a bit of a force in schools GAA in the past few years which is good to see as well as there wouldn’t really be any other GAA schools in the city. There would be very little cross over of players between rugby and GAA that I know of (Stephen Kelly being an obvious exception). We’ve had a few players from our club go in and play rugby with clubs in town but mostly they will still give the GAA first preference.

Good stuff, great to see clubs putting in the hard work in the city, its of huge importance.
Great round up Runty.

Elsewhere Castlehaven beat Ilen Rovers in the 1st round senior replay in Cork, 0-14 to 1-09. Heard it was a very good game, amazing what a championship game does for teams.