Club Championships 2009

One game went ahead in the senior championship in the end with Ballylanders beating Hospital 1-14 to 1-7. From what I’ve heard it was a far better performance from Hospital than what was expected.

In the intermediate championship Galtee Gales lost to Galbally on a scoreline of 3-3 to 0-8

[quote=“THE LINK WALSH”]Kilkenny Hurling League/Championship starts this weekend also,

heres my thoughts

Clara V St Martins,St Martin
St Martins were in the 07 Co Senior final and gave a good account of themselves with a Young team and have a big pick of talent,Clara are in thier 2nd Year at Senior level,only fared middling last Season and found it tough,Muckalee will have a few more strong hurlers and with the majority of the CLara side away in College id imagine training has been stop start,for that reason,St Martins.

Carrickshock v Young Irelands(Gowran)
GOwran survived in the Senior grade last Year by the skin of thier teeth,springing a surprise to beat Dicksboro in the rel.final.Things wont be any easier for them this Year with an ageing side and only a trickle of new talent coming through,this game wont be one they will be targetting
as a priority to win,Carrickshock are a strong outfit powered by 3 Tennysons,Ml Rice,David Franks and a few Powers,even without the injured Richie they should win this by 6 0r 7 points.Carrickshock

O Loughlin Gaels v Tullaroan
City club OLG are always fairly strong at Senior level and boast plenty of inter County players at all levels in thier ranks,Martin Comerford might be a little over relied on at times for th scores but they should have eneogh about them to beat limited Senior side Tullaroan who Tommy Walsh aside wouldnt look hectic at a lower level.O Loughlin Gaels.

Graigue/Ballycallan v Erins Own
GBC have waned a bit in recent Years its hard for a Country side to keep a flow of talent coming through,thier backs arent as solid these Days but they are strong around the field and Senior ne boys Erins Own will find the going tough against them,Erins Own won a poor Inter championship last Year but won the minor A title aswell and will be trying to bring some young blood through,theres no mercy at this level though,id expect GBC to win by 4 or 5.

Fenians v Ballyhale Shamrocks
Johnstown are probably glad to be getting this one out of the way early, its a hding to nothing theyre on here,most likely wont have the guns up front to outshoot Ballyhale,one of thier better backs PJ Delaney missing wont help either.Shamrocks by 8 0r 9.

James Stephens v Dunnamaggin

Dunnamaggin have a good solid side but cant afford to be without anyone,id say they will have Noel Hickey back if they do they could spring a surprise here they have the hurlers to do it,The Village dont ever start the Year that well and have a good few injuries at the moment, they will badly miss Donnacha Cody and Brian McEvoy in particular.A draw maybe.[/quote]

1st round League/Championship results Kilkenny
SENIOR
James Stephens 0-13 Dunnamaggin 0-12
O Loughlin Gaels 1-17 Tullaroan 2-06
Ballyhale Srocks 2-22 Fenians 2-06
Carrickshock 3-16 Young Irelands 0-13
Graigue/Balycallan1-12 Erins Own 2-09
St Martins 2-17 Clara 2-17

INTERMEDIATE
Dicksboro 1-10 Glenmore 0-11
Rower/Inistioge 0-15 Graignamanagh 0-08
Mullinavat 2-14 Tullogher/Rosb 2-11
St Lachtains 1-16 Conahy Shamrocks0-10
Danesfort 0=15 Thomastown 1-10
Mooncoin 2-17 Emeralds 2-10

Mount Sion 1-17 1-8 De La Salle
Tallow 2-12 2-23 Ballygunner
Stradbally 2-8 1-13 Abbeyside
Ballyduff Lower 4-10 2-8 Passage
Ballyduff Upper 1-22 2-17 Fourmilewater
Lismore 4-12 1-9 An Rinn

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Mount Sion 1-17 1-8 De La Salle
Tallow 2-12 2-23 Ballygunner
Stradbally 2-8 1-13 Abbeyside
Ballyduff Lower 4-10 2-8 Passage
Ballyduff Upper 1-22 2-17 Fourmilewater
Lismore 4-12 1-9 An Rinn[/quote]

That was a tidy beating for DLS Hangblaa,i see that Ballygunner won well also is it going to be back to the status quo in Waterford for 2009?,Passage must be weak apart from Eoin Kelly, Ballyduff Lower wouldnt be great we played them in challenges a couple of times in the last few Years.

I’d say the time has nearly come for the once great Gowran club to take the drop. Would I be right LINK?

Is Charlie still going?

Worst DLS performance in a long while. Very flat, but after taking a break after the all-ireland and with a few lads missing or unfit, it was kind of on the cards, but should get things up and running again next week against Rinn.

Passage would be strong enough apart from Kelly, and the result is a bit of a shock, as B’duff lwr have been very poor the last few years and have been fighting relegation…

Nothing won in April though…

Saw the program from the weekend action in KK last evening and Charlie is indeed still playing, with 14 on his back.

Went out to Freshford for Tullaroan and O’Loughlins. Tullaroan are muck, and Tommy was filthy. O’Loughlins coul dgo a long way this year. Very stong in every line, and they were without Paul Kelly yesterday, who I presume is still with them.

Charlie hurled a full game Yesterday at full forward but failed to score,at 38 hes the oldest hurler in the Kilkenny senior grade,he still has a fair bit of class about him and was the main reason Gowran won the 2008 relegation final against roaring favourites Dicksboro,he hit 2-5 from play,they won by 2 points, they could have gone down in 07 aswell when they only beat Mullinavat by a point,time and luck will surely run out for them this Year id say.Carrickshock had the game won after 15 minutes Yesterday when thier 3rd goal went in,nothing Martin Carey could do about any of them.Michael Rice hurled very well for Carrickshock,after that it was a fairly dull affair all round. Gowran were a joy to watch for 13 Years or so between 92 and 05 when Pat O Niell,Charlie Carter,Ciarn Phelan and DJ,Martin and Jack Carey were in thier prime,ill be telling my grandkids about the 3 thousand or so that would be at games in small venues like Ballyhale and Thomastown for league games and how hundreds would change ends at half time to be behind the goal Gowran were hurling into,for a Country club they were blessed to have such class in thier ranks,everything comes to an end.

As Echo and the Bunnys used to say, nothing ever lasts forever.

They harvested a fine yield from that crop to be fair to them. Rural Club teams rise and fall, its the way of the world.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Saw the program from the weekend action in KK last evening and Charlie is indeed still playing, with 14 on his back.

Went out to Freshford for Tullaroan and O’Loughlins. Tullaroan are muck, and Tommy was filthy. O’Loughlins coul dgo a long way this year. Very stong in every line, and they were without Paul Kelly yesterday, who I presume is still with them.[/quote]

Tommy tends to be a lot dirtier when hurling for Tullaroan than with the County,i know some of ye might find that hard to believe,hes one tough ticket for a small lad.Tullaroan are useless alright,how did Martin Comerford hurl?,any dirt from Brian Kelly at corner back for O Loughlins,hed be good at it too.

there’s a place called dicksboro:D:D

Did you not see the ridiculous townslands threads a while back buddy? Pretty sure it was included in there.

Loughlins played with the wind in the first half and Gortha didnt get a puck of it. Came into it more in the second half and was good. Loughlins had a very tidy full back line, but they were probably not up against much. Sean Dowling, Brian Hogan, Brian Dowling and Mark Bergin were the best of them, Bergin missed a few handy frees but hurled well on tommy apart from that. Tommys brother is decent. Tommy was at some needless off the ball pulling and dragging and poking lads, when he would have been better served hurling.

Carrickshock were short a fair few as well yesterday, so they will also be in the mix at the end of things…

From what I have seen and heard so far in KK the Final 4 will probably be Ballyhale, Carrickshock, Loughlins and one of the Village, Muckalee, Clara, Dunamaggin depending on draws.

Sources tell me Clara were rode up a stick by the ref yesterday, who blew full time right on the exact 30 minutes with Liam Ryan about the pop the ball over the bar. There seemingly had been 2 minute ‘injury’ just before that and a few other stoppages that were obviouldy unrecorded.

didnt read that thread im afraid mate

Ah twas a cracker, some ridiculous names around this country, The Horse and Jockey was always one that baffled me. Newtwopothouse in Cork was another one.

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]Tipperary so far

Tipperary Senior Hurling Championships

South Tipperary
Ballybacon 2-13 Ballingarry 1-14
Killenaule 1-16 Carrick Swan 1-11

Fixtures
25/04/09
Ballingarry v Carrick Swans Monroe 6.30pm
26/04/09
Mullinahone v Killenaule Fethard 6.30pm

Mid Tipperary
Fixtures
Friday 24th April
Senior Hurling Group (2) Rd (1)
Moycarkey Borris v Holycross Ballycahill in Boherlahan 7.00pm
Sunday 26th April
Senior Hurling Group (1) Rd (1)
J K Brackens v Upperchurch Drombane Ragg 2.00pm
Thurles Sarsfields v Boherlahan Dualla Ragg 3.30pm
Senior Hurling Group (2) Rd (1)
Drom Inch v Loughmore Castleiney Templemore 7.00pm

North Tipperary
Fixtures
Sat 25-Apr-09
Senior Hurling Championship
Group 1 Round 1
Roscrea Vs Portroe in Cloughjordan @ 7:00 PM;
Group 2 Round 1
Moneygall Vs Nenagh ire g in Cloughjordan @ 5:30 PM;
Sun 26-Apr-09
Senior Hurling Championship
Group 1 Round 1
Kilruane MacDonaghs Vs Templederry Kenyons in Dolla @ 7:00 PM;
Lorrha/Dorrha Vs Kildangan in Nenagh @ 1:30 PM;
Group 2 Round 1
Burgess Vs Toomevara in Nenagh @ 3:00 PM;

West Tipperary
Kickhams 2-18 Golden/Kilfeacle 3-6
Cappawhite 3-17 Cashel KC 2-9.

Fixtures
Saturday April 25th
SHC.
In Golden @ 7.15pm. Kickhams v Clonoulty/R. Ref. Joe Cahill
Sunday April 26th
SHC.
In S.T.Park @ 5.30pm. Cashel v Golden/K. Ref. P. Russell
In S.T.Park @ 7.00pm.Cappawhite v ire g.Ref.D.Grogan

Tipperary Senior Football Championships

Senior Football Championship Preliminary Rd
Ardfinnan 0-09 J K Brackens 0-05

Fixtures
Saturday 2nd May
Senior Football Championship Rd (1) Extra Time
Moyne Templetuohy v Fr John Kenyons Moneygall 7.00pm
Monday 4th May
Senior Football Championship (1) Extra Time
Eire g Annacarty c Arravale Rovers Golden 3.00pm
Saturday 9th May
Senior Football Championship Round (1) Extra Time
Clonmel Commercials v Aherlow @ 7.30pm Cahir
Mullinahone v Killenaule @ 7.30pm OSullivan Pk
Loughmore Castleiney v Moyle Rovers Sat 9th @ 7.30pm Cashel
Ardfinnan v Cahir @ 7.30pm Clonmel
Fethard v Clonmel g @ 7.30pm Kilsheelan
Sunday 10th May
Senior Football Championship Rd (1) Extra Time
Thomas McDonaghs v Galtee Rovers Templetuohy 7.00pm[/quote]

South Tipp
Ballingarry 2-08 Carrick Swans 0-19
Mullinahone 0-11 Killenaule 0-22
Mid Tipp
Moycarkey Borris 2-12 Holycross Ballycahill 0-15
J K Brackens 1-11 Upperchurch Drombane 1-15
Thurles Sarsfields 2-11 Boherlahan Dualla 1-10
Drom Inch 1-11 Loughmore Castleiney 1-11
West Tipp
Knockavilla Kickhams 2-09 Clonoulty/Rossmore 0-18
Cashel 0-3 Golden/Kilfeacle 2-09
Cappawhite 0-17 ire g Anacarty 1-07
North Tipp
Roscrea Vs Portroe pp
Moneygall 2-11 Nenagh ire g 3-17
Kilruane MacDonaghs 3-12 Templederry Kenyons 0-09
Lorrha/Dorrha 1-09 Kildangan 0-17
Burgess 0-14 Toomevara 2-13

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]South Tipp
Ballingarry 2-08 Carrick Swans 0-19
Mullinahone 0-11 Killenaule 0-22
Mid Tipp
Moycarkey Borris 2-12 Holycross Ballycahill 0-15
J K Brackens 1-11 Upperchurch Drombane 1-15
Thurles Sarsfields 2-11 Boherlahan Dualla 1-10
Drom Inch 1-11 Loughmore Castleiney 1-11
West Tipp
Knockavilla Kickhams 2-09 Clonoulty/Rossmore 0-18
Cashel 0-3 Golden/Kilfeacle 2-09
Cappawhite 0-17 ire g Anacarty 1-07
North Tipp
Roscrea Vs Portroe pp
Moneygall 2-11 Nenagh ire g 3-17
Kilruane MacDonaghs 3-12 Templederry Kenyons 0-09
Lorrha/Dorrha 1-09 Kildangan 0-17
Burgess 0-14 Toomevara 2-13[/quote]

Two questions on that there Mullach.
Are Cashel loosing out due to the rugby, thats edsperate for any Senior team scoring only 3 points.
Are Killenaule genuine contenders to win it out, i know lads down there and they think they have the hurlers, but for various reasons they haven’t gone the whole way. What you think?

I see a few clubs playing ‘senior’ hurling in Tipp that are new to senior hurling, but I know did not will intermediate championships… How does a team get promoted in Tipp ?

I think they opened it up this year so that any team that wanted to could apply to play senior hurling.