Club Championships 2009

Who dreamed up that one… I could imagine all the junior club AGMs…

So next motion… Do ye fancy playing senior hurling…

Lord Jaysis.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Who dreamed up that one… I could imagine all the junior club AGMs…

So next motion… Do ye fancy playing senior hurling…

Lord Jaysis.[/quote]

Not sure of the in’s and out’s of it but I assume some sort of criteria had to be met. I don’t think there was a massive up take either but it suited some teams like Moycarkey who had been beaten in 3 intermediate finals in recent years (I could have the team wrong there).

The main problem with the Tipperary Championships is that they are run on a divisional basis. Due to relegation you had only 4 teams in the South and West with the majority in the North and Mid, this then resulted in the teams from the South and West being excluded from relegation.
You also had two the two finalists from each division contesting the Co Quarter Finals, which in terms of the best teams in the county was disproportionate.
They allowed teams to regrade from Intermediate to Senior in an effort to make the didvisions more competetive which is a joke basically, in South Tipp you have five teams playing each other in round robin to eliminate 1 team. The eliminated team plays in the B Championship. The other four then play each other in the Semi-Finals. The beaten teams enter the A Championship at an earlier stage. Then the finalists enter the Championship later on.

In essence there are too many Senior teams in Tipperary which results in alot of meaningless games and a dilution of the quality of the championship.

Thats a bullshit set up they have in Tipperary if thats the case, what genius dreamed that one up i wonder?,my own club have been intermediate for 21 Years without going up or down,id rather be relegated than apply to the Co. Board to go senior after never being good eneogh to win it,Moycarkey/Borris shouldnt have went up after losing 3 finals,theyre a laughing stock for doing so in Tipp id imagine.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Two questions on that there Mullach.
Are Cashel loosing out due to the rugby, thats edsperate for any Senior team scoring only 3 points.
Are Killenaule genuine contenders to win it out, i know lads down there and they think they have the hurlers, but for various reasons they haven’t gone the whole way. What you think?[/quote]

It’s hard to figure out what’s gone wrong with Cashel, I would think that rugby has had an impact at juvenile level, but for a reasonably sized town you would imagine they would be able to be at least competative, the heady days of the clashes with Kiltormer and Justin training them are long gone.
Killenaule on their day are as good as anyone, Mullinahone were missing a good few, Eoin Kelly, the Currans.
They have been threatening over the last number of years and should have gotten to the final 2 years ago but blew it against Drom-Inch.
They had alot of success at divisional level at minor and U-21 and won two Co. U-21’s in a row so the talent is there.
They have Fanning, Kennedy, Kerwick, Ceasar who have all played senior for Tipp. O’Dwyer Co Minor last year and this, in fact all the team have hurled for Tipp at some grade.
I just think the likes of Toome or Loughmore would be too crafty for them. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Who do you know down there? PM will do.

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]It’s hard to figure out what’s gone wrong with Cashel, I would think that rugby has had an impact at juvenile level, but for a reasonably sized town you would imagine they would be able to be at least competative, the heady days of the clashes with Kiltormer and Justin training them are long gone.
Killenaule on their day are as good as anyone, Mullinahone were missing a good few, Eoin Kelly, the Currans.
They have been threatening over the last number of years and should have gotten to the final 2 years ago but blew it against Drom-Inch.
They had alot of success at divisional level at minor and U-21 and won two Co. U-21’s in a row so the talent is there.
They have Fanning, Kennedy, Kerwick, Ceasar who have all played senior for Tipp. O’Dwyer Co Minor last year and this, in fact all the team have hurled for Tipp at some grade.
I just think the likes of Toome or Loughmore would be too crafty for them. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Who do you know down there? PM will do.[/quote]

How do you think Drom n Inch will do this year? My spies tell me they were poor enough against Loughmore last night.

It wasn’t just Moycarkey- Ballybacon/Grange went up in the South,
Golden-Kilfeacle and Eire Og Anacarty in the West and Moycarkey Borris in the Mid.
I think everyone was surprised that Moycarkey opted to go up as they had been relegated a few seasons back. They proved they weren’t good enough by losing 3 finals in a row.

I am told that Drom/Inch are far too windy, have some serious hurlers but when it comes to the business end of the championship they aren’t able for the battle

I too have heard that accusation levelled at them. Although it was by a Sars man so it was to be expected.

To get a draw with Loughmore who were Munster Champions 2 years ago is not too shabby. They should be in the mix, it seems a pretty wide open championship this year, although Toome winning their first match yesterday would indicate that they might be interested in winning the North Championship this year.

Burgess all the way!

Not off to a great start!!

They are taking a leaf out of Toome’s book :smiley:

No it’s a decent result alright but I heard Droms forwards were poor and that they would have won it only for their wastefulness.

Heard they were on top in the first half, leading by 3 points at half time, but Loughmore took over in the 2nd half and Drom were lucky enough to get a draw in the end.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Ya, ya it does. I went to see them a few times, mainly Minor and U-21. Some really skillful hurlers up there in all fairness. They play a little more like a team from Killkenny or Cork city as opposed to a rural team.
Been out there as well though, and maybe their social lives would want to be curtailed a bit, mad fuckers altogether. I’ve met a few of them in Cork with others from the general S.Tipp area, i’d say people at home have no idea what they are up to.[/quote]

It’s been said they they weren’t sure whether they were a Hurling Club with a drinking problem or a drinking club with a hurling problem.
Apparently they played NTS in a challenge recently, NTS won by 2 or 3 points both teams close to full strength.

[quote=“Mullach Ide”]It’s been said they they weren’t sure whether they were a Hurling Club with a drinking problem or a drinking club with a hurling problem.
Apparently they played NTS in a challenge recently, NTS won by 2 or 3 points both teams close to full strength.[/quote]

They play alot of out of county teams. Staying close to NTS at the moment isn’t a huge achievement really, they are average enough compared to where they once were.
Newtown always play 2-3 league games and then either throw or postpone a couple of games coming up to championship and play teams from other counties. Seems to work for them anyway.
Are you a South Tipp man or do you just have contacts down there.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]They play alot of out of county teams. Staying close to NTS at the moment isn’t a huge achievement really, they are average enough compared to where they once were.
Newtown always play 2-3 league games and then either throw or postpone a couple of games coming up to championship and play teams from other counties. Seems to work for them anyway.
Are you a South Tipp man or do you just have contacts down there.[/quote]

From South Tipp.

Dublin senior football championship '09 starts tonight…there is a second chance for the losers so it might tame a few matches but not all…

WED, APRIL 29
SFC Parnell Park Whitehall Colmcille V St Judes Wednesday April 29th 6-45pm
Div. 1 Judes should have too much for div. 2 Whitehall…

SFC Parnell Park St Vincents V Ballyboden St Endas Wednesday April 29th 8-30pm
2 Div. 1 teams…Vincents should be too good for a very understrength boden…

SFC OToole Park Templeogue Synge St V Ballinteer St Johns April 29th 7-15pm
2 div. 2 teams…Templeogue SS should come out of this
SFC Balgriffin Clontarf V Erins Isle Wednesday April 29th 7-15pm

div.2 Isles should beat inter 1 Clontarf

SFC Kiltipper Road St Marys V UCD Wednesday April 29th 7-15pm
Div. 1 Marys will smash up the scholars…might win the match aswell…

THURS, APRIL 30

SFC Parnell Park Parnells V Na Fianna Thursday April 30th 6-45pm
Could be a shock here with Div.2 Parnells taking former kingpins Na Fianna

SFC Parnell Park Fingal Ravens V St Brigids Thursday April 30th 8-30pm
both div.1.brigids should have too much for in form ravens

St Annes V Thomas Davis Thursday April 30th SFC OToole Park 7-15pm
the old tallaght derby…davis should beat div. 2 Annes in a bruiser…

SFC Balgriffin St Sylvesters V Ballymun Kickhams Thursday April
30th 6-45pm

Think ballymun will break NCC’s heart…

SFC Portmarnock St Marks V Fingallians Thursday April 30th 7-15pm
don’t know much about either…if its true that the dublin hurlers aren’t going to play club football then Marks will suffer

FRID, MAY 1
SFC Parnell Park Raheny V St O. Plunketts ER Friday May 1st 6-45pm
Plunketts should win pulling up…

SFC Parnell Park Kilmacud Crokes V Lucan Sarsfields Friday May 1st 8-30pm
think Lucan will give Crokes a right rattle but not sure if tehy have enough firepower to get over the winning line…

SFC Naul Naomh Mearnog V St Maurs Friday May 1st 7-15pm
din’t know much about either…mearnog are inter 1 and maurs senior div.2…

SAT, MAY 2
SFC OToole Park Trinity Gaels V Round Tower Clondalkin Saturday May 2nd 2-0pm
Think div. 1 trinity gaels will take towers

SFC OToole Park Naomh Olaf V OTooles Saturday May 2nd 3-30pm
haven’t a clue about either…

The games that were called off it the Senior and intermediate championship two weeks ago are going ahead over this weekend. Provided this rain clears up.