Club Championships 2017

You obviously missed that result.

KilCormac/Killoughey 2-21 Mount Leinster Rangers 0-10.

2 Likes

The county champions from 3 of this year’s all Ireland hurling semi finals have been average to poor this year . I don’t expect Galway to buck this trend .

They needed that cushion at half time. Given the amount of games they’ve played, it was going to be there best chance. The spurt that NAP made to bring it back to a point before the break was a right sickener.
The swapping of Breen and Downes worked well for NAP. and Downes was as sharp as I very seen him in 4 years.
Ballygunner ran out of steam after the first ten of the second half and once NAP hit the front they were never going to get caught

No harm in that either Fagan, taking the nastiness out of it.

It’s neither the same spectacle nor challenge these days.

1 Like

@Big_Dan_Campbell was a lad playing midfield for Kilmaley today michael o malley or something he was absolutely outstanding he anywhere near a clare team? Was a lad in forwards dara keane did wreck as well

For some reason they didnt give last free to o malley and he had knocked over a few great ones.

O’Malley was on the senior panel first year out of minor three years back. Very skillful hurler but had an awful selfish and self indulgent streak in him. I remember he came on as a sub for Clare in the Munster under 21 final against Limerick in 2015 and the first ball he got he took three steps and then hopped it off the ground and back into his hand for the sake of it.

Seems to have come of age this year and was captain of the under 21s IIRC and has been called back into the seniors. Keane was there for years under Davy and go no look in, strikes me a lad who could take or leave it re intercounty. Fine hurler in full flow

1 Like

He’s been in and out of the senior panel, young enough yet, would have been a good county minor and might still have a year left U-21

1 Like

I’d respectfully disagree. I think it’s far better to watch, and far more skilful. Each to their own.

They’ve made it palatable for the middle classes

1 Like

I saw Kilmallock play Ballybrown this year and 'twas a pale imitation of the games in the 80s and 90s.

2 Likes

God you’re a moaning ol bastard all the same, you’re at it all day. Half the lads hurling in the 80s couldn’t even rise the ball ffs, give over

1 Like

My point was that the physicality is gone from club hurling . I take your point about skills but there are a awful lot of factors that help today’s game .

Overall the modern game is better but is lacks bite on occasion .

Yes I am a bit grumpy .

It was far more physical in the 80s and early 90s precisely because it was far less skillful and far slower. Slow the game down and decrease the skill levels and of course it’ll be more physical. If you like that kind of thing you can still find it at Junior and Intermediate club level, which can be very enjoyable spectacles at times

Watch Pallasgreen play, you wouldn’t be saying the physicality is gone.

There is always an exception to all rules . In this case it is Pallasgreen .

It was slower but the referees under instruction allow little physical contact and coaching has put a total premium of possession .

They are certain games where referees allow a bit of leeway and I think we see better games .

As are the Caseys? cc @glasagusban

The Birmingham (sp) guy that was their captain in 2011 is from there too I think

The Casey brothers are situated just before Woodcock Hill which is literally meters over the border. Their mother is Limerick and wanted them to play with NaP.