Club Championships 2017

How far away is he?

More than 40 mins and i would pull Gallagher aside and say ā€œlook i value work and a dmall bit of free time, i can only make ā€¦ā€

And if he tells him fuck off then fine.

Itherwise he is just fucking moaning

1 Like

They donā€™t you see, thats the thing. A huge majority enjoy 80+% of it

@mickee321 has already said he lives in Dublin

1 Like

Mickee lives in Kildare so i was not sure.

He is not unique.

Everything is a choice.

Toughen up princess

1 Like

i dont think its a about being tough or anything, id say at that age if you had a void in your life that needed filling than going all in to some short term project like the one outlined that rory gallagher is proposing to him would be something ,
i think the real question is what is the point of doing it all, its only football at the end of day , the whole glory aspect and walking around with a county sweater i think would stick to the naive, etc for a bit but for a fella a few years in to what could be a very decent career, is riding all round him and enjoying life id imagine ploughing up from leixlip to enniskillen ( those who know what the n3 turns into after kells know what im talking about) 3/4 nights a week, leaving work early those days and spending each weekend at home with the parents sober just isnt appealing
thatā€™s what im hearing.
a lot of these lads just end xferring to clubs around here, he was doing this craic with derrygonolly on a not as psychotic schedule for the last year but id say its not healthy long term, work suffered trips to US and china, israel turned down, and for what? fuck all
the county board offered them all jobs with some machinery plant in tyrone but id imagine its not the same at that ageā€¦ thatā€™s more in line for lads in the late 30s who want to move home and start a family or fella who want to live localā€¦

2 Likes

Classic misunderstanding of what drives people.

Most of that is complete waffle.

I actually do think its gone too far and readjustment is needed. However nobody is forced to do anything. And in fact he will be getting a healthy milage for doing it.

Plenty club players doing alot more travel 2-3 times a week fof zilch.

its not waffle kev, its what he has told me, unless he is waffling but the bottom line is this is why this player in particular wont last with this , its not because its ā€œtoo hardā€ which is like something id expect Damien Duff to say in fairness, it appears to be that the requirements are impacting on the manā€™s life in a negative sense .
the juice clearly isnt worth the squeeze according to him anyway

1 Like

If a 23 year old was from say Blanchardstown and was on the fringe of the Dublin football panel you would say such effort would be worth it . He could still have a career of sorts , shortish travel etc .

Perhaps, for a while, at the sharp end of the season. Not this time of year.
It is utter bollox, and a beacon of an appalling manager.

Its your commentary thats waffle. He is probably just outlining his efforts. Its you are most likely doing the whinging for him.

And if he is whinging its most likely fuck all to do with the requirements. Its most likely an adjustment not onky for him but his missus or someone like that.

Maybe Gallagher thinks they donā€™t do enough and it was their limiting factor?

But i know very few garlic players these days that donā€™t enjoy the mahority of the training and the lifestyle. We only ever hear the whingers

Maybe not now no but thousands do it for the entire season. A similar trip for maybe 40-50 kerry vlub ayers in ballincollig alone i would estimate. 2-3 times a week without fail.

I would question if he is not coming half way alright. He should facilitate people travelling.

It actually comes back to you. The players react well to give and take.

Its still a choice though.

mate, @mickee321 is relaying a conversation that he was involved in, you despite not being there is now telling @mickee321 what the actual conversation was

5 Likes

but its not waffle

Mickee is a known untrustworthy

:scream:

ah yeah this is petty old stuff from kevā€¦ but its true
i dont see what the issue is here really, @caoimhaoin seems to find it incredulous that a young fella wouldnt drop everything at the chance to play intercounty GAAā€¦
i can try to understand how fellas who slogged all their life to achieve this but never made would find this stance horrific from my young pal but the truth is here we have a fella working in a decent job, living a good life who is clearly a decent player but has just decided or certainly in the process of for his own reasons there are better things to be doing at 24 years of age than to be traipsing after Fermanagh GAA
look i get kev, i may sound like sacrilege to you the notion of a fella turning his nose up at this., this once in a lifetime chance to play inter county senior footballā€¦ the dream of every irishman, (save us the bullshit, etc) . you hold this dear i imagine and thats ok, but then again that probably raises questions you need answer within yourself
i think again, if you had a void in your life, were impressionable i dunno and havent much going on work wise, etc, and just maybe wanted to play at this level, yeah go for thisā€¦
but this fella has decent qualification, has done very well here , an opportunity that may not present itself again if he dosent stay at it, and is looking at this with a very open mindā€¦ i think heā€™d be mad myself to go all in on this

9 Likes

Great post, Mick.

Would never hold it against a lad for not committing to an intercounty set up.

At least if youā€™re involved with Dublin, Kerry, Mayo or a couple of other counties youā€™ll get a decent profile, boost your employment prospects locally, the best of resources within the squad and a good chance of success.

Outside of the top echelon the chances of success are practically nil. Training away all over Christmas for the allure of division three or four football at the end of January and start of February in front of a few hundred people on bog pitches. For fuck all thanks.

All for the glory of wearing number 21 on a championship match day panel. More to life than that. More power to that young lad if he says itā€™s not for him.

2 Likes

yeah and youā€™d take a team like fermanagh
their players are based in Belfast (120km odd from fermanagh) and dublin area,(now door to door 2.5 hours but as @Bandage knows once you enter cavan things degrade rapidly on the roads)
again you are dealing with young lads hereā€¦ id say if the regieme wasnt as draconian him and a few more may stick at it, that thing he was telling me at the weekend just struck as downright difficult thoā€¦ the challenge match in galway on a sunday, only a handful of the players live in fermanagh bit still had to go to enniskillen and back on a bus when on the sunday night they were all headed other directions after the gameā€¦
i suppose if you did have fellas who committed to that come hell or high water at least gallagher would know they are on his side and there for the causeā€¦ how it is designed to help the bottom line of the team winning games tho it appears most of the players dont seem to know

Not many fellas on here more sceptical about the lure of inter county than kev id say

ia gfree with @caoimhaoin here, this lad is weak and lacking in mental strength, afraid to make a commitment