Club Championships 2021 - is fulvio a cameraman?

2016 according to @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy. They beat the Antrim champions that year before Slaughtneil gave them a bit of a doing in the next round. Tyrone is like what the Leinster football championship would be if Dublin were removed, ultra competitive but contested by teams who are completely harmless.

I think you don’t understand the word competitive.

The likes of Omagh were running the second best team in the country at the time to a point or two but given the nature of the Tyrone Championship were unable to represent Tyrone frequently. Sure look how many goes the likes of Kilcoo, Derrygonnelly and Scotstown have had or took to win an Ulster.

Tyrone clubs have been one of the few with a good record against Cross.

I presume they’ve been winning all around them in the lower grades at Ulster club level?

So they were nearly good enough to beat the second best team in the country, but not good enough to win the Tyrone championship, the winners of which also weren’t good enough to win an Ulster championship match, and this shows us how good they are?
Right. Have you now.

7 Likes

They won the prize for being almost good enough.

Sure Cross have won 1 Ulster since 2012, I don’t know why you are using them as a barometer. Slaughtneils biggest problem has been trying to get out of Derry, of the 4 times they have played in the Ulster championship over the last 10 years they have won it 3 times.

1 Like

They would be as competitive as any county at junior and intermediate I’d say, it’s only at the top level they get shown up a bit.

That doesn’t seem to suggest their biggest problem is getting out of Derry at all. If a team who can win their county championship by an avg winning margin of 17 points and gets dumped out of Ulster then it’s a bad barometer for club football in Derry.

You look at Ulster in recent years and in a lot of the counties you see the same teams every year - Cross, Scotstown, Kilcoo, Derrygonnelly, Slaughtneil. It now looks like Glen will probably dominate Derry football for the nexy 6/7 years. There’s an imbalance in these counties whereas Tyrone has a perfect meritocracy where a club hasn’t retained the O’Neill Cup in over 15 years.

In Monaghan - Scotstown and Clontibret have won the last 8 Monaghan titles.
In Derry - Ballinderry won 3IAR and Slaughtneil 4IAR directly after them. Slaughtneil have aged and Glen now look like they will take over for the next 5/6 years.
Cross have won 22 of 26 in Armagh
Kilcoo and Burren have shared the last 13 Down Championships between them.

In contrast Tyrone has heralded 8 different winners in the past 10 years and no team has done back to back since Carrickmore in 2005. You have to go back to 79 since a team did 3IAR in Tyrone.

Huh? Slaughtneil have won Derry and gone on to represent them in Ulster 4 of the last 7 times. They have won Ulster 3 of them 4 times. It is very clear Slaughtneil have a bigger problem winning their county championship than winning Ulster, and that is despite the fact that, as you have said, they have been the 2nd best team in Ireland over that period. I expect had they been playing in the Tyrone championship they would have a far greater haul of county titles and possibly Ulster titles.

2 Likes

Yeah. They won 4IAR too, right after Ballinderry won 3IAR. Glen won a county championship with an avg winning margin of 17.25 points per game this year. It’s clear competitiveness is a huge weakness in Derry club football, that they have a small smathering of clubs way ahead of the rest.

They have had 4 different winners in their last 4 championships, Iv no idea what you are raving about here about “competitiveness being a huge weakness”?

2 Likes

None of those teams have done well in that time.

Their only win at provincial level was a paltry one over the Cavan champs.

If you can’t see an issue with one club winning a county Championship by beating 4 teams by an avg of 17 points or two clubs winning 7 club titles in a row between them then I think you have big issues understanding competitiveness.

Sure only Coleraine and Magherafelt went on to play in Ulster, Slaughtneil didn’t because of Covid and Glen only won the county title yesterday. And yet Coleraine, who must be the most isolated club in Ireland in terms of their protestant surroundings, and made up mainly of surfboarders, have more wins in the Ulster championship than all Tyrone champions combined since 2016!

1 Like

Kev McMenamon sings in there on a Sunday night.

They beat a team from Cavan. Cavan clubs have the worst record in Ulster club. If you want to keep ignoring the fact that there’s very little competition in Derry then keep doing that but that’s actually what we’re talking about.

You don’t find it worrying that one club in Derry seems to be so far ahead of the rest? There was a time when Derry club football was competitive and had depth, now there seems to be a huge chasm between the teams in senior club championship which has to be worrying for them.

Likewise Down, you’re not worried that two clubs have shared the past 13 titles between them? No wonder the county squad are in such a sorry state if their premier club competition is so imbalanced.

After saying earlier today this

You are just swinging wildly now. I’d say it’s encouraging that a team like Glen can come from the pack in Derry and dominate the championship in 1 season, it suggests there is lots of talent in the county that just needs to be worked on.
It would be more exciting if different clubs were winning the Down championship for sure, but considering Kilcoo were beaten in extratime in the most recent All-Ireland final, and yet they are only winning games in the county by 1 or 2 points, suggests the club scene here is very strong. I’d prefer this scenario far more than what Tyrone have, a club championship that is competitive but of a poor standard.

3 Likes

I’d advise you to learn the definition of the word competitiveness before you try and enter a discussion n it.

It took Kilcoo 8 goes to win an Ulster title and fortune paid for an outside management team to come in, if you don’t think that is worrying then I don’t know what to say.

Competition means any club can win, clearly that’s not the case in Down. In Derry it looks like competition is how many teams can keep the margin of defeat to Glen to single figures.

Well that’s just factually untrue.

Winning margins in Down county finals:

2009 - present

8 points
1 point
11 points
3 points
2 points
11 points
9 points
11 points
2 points
3 points
1 point
7 points
2 points

All won by the same 2 clubs.

You are all over the place. You don’t think its competitive in Down because the same couple of teams win it even though they are only scraping through. You don’t think its competitive in Derry where 4 different teams have won it in the last 4 years because one team won all their games comprehensively.
Over half them county finals you listed there have been won by a score, Kilcoo winning their final by 1 point they year they went all the way to Croke Park. Their winning margin in this years championship was 6 points, 3, 1 after extratime, 2 & 2. A hugely competitive championship this year and of a quality standard as usual. The reality is people across Ireland were interested in yesterday’s Down and Derry finals because they know the winners would be contenders outside the county, nobody has paid much attention to the Tyrone championship in years.

2 Likes

I forgot to add, the Cavan champions made the Ulster final in 2017 where they were beaten by Slaughtneil. I’d be looking more northwest for the weakest club champions in Ulster.

1 Like