Club Championships 2024

Club league games in Kerry can get big attendances. Not so sure on these sort of clashes do.

Thereā€™ll be more at the hurling final.

Brendans if they did it might actually bring a crowd. Theyā€™ve never won it

1 Like

Kerry is similar to Tipp/KK in that theyā€™re very knowledgeable about their sports and it generally draws healthy attendances across the grades but theyā€™d be very watery about the county team.

:smiley:
What a sad comment

Itā€™s true.

Life goes on in these counties when they win an all Ireland.

Itā€™s a total anti climax.

A West Kerry Final in deep November between An Ghaeltacht and Dingle would get a massive crowd.

Same in Tipp where an U21 County Final in December would get a few thousand at it.

Due to a number of factors like Expectation of success, Geography and Dairy Farming, supporterā€™s in Kerry/Tipp donā€™t tend to bother much with the Inter County stuff.

Anyone I knew from Clare had 2 or 3 days booked off work last week to go on the piss after the All Ireland. Following the team around from Ennis to Lahinch and so on. Same just wouldnā€™t happen in Tipp, Kilkenny or Kerry. Thereā€™d probably be a load of Club matches played on the Monday or Tuesday night.

2 Likes

I would have thought Kerry put the county team above all else by a mile in terms of prestige?

1 Like

100%. County team is king in Kerry.

As if the knuckle staggers in the garrison towns of Tipperary wouldnā€™t knock a good few days out of an all Ireland win :smiley:

Some mental gymnastics going on here

1 Like

Sure the Kerry footballers get no crowd ever.

Yerra no point in going up before the final.

1 Like

This practice of following around county players by men in their 40ā€™s and 50ā€™s is seriously odd. Wasnt there lads from Limerick flying over to New York to follow Limerick hurlers? Strange.

6 Likes

Maybe thereā€™s an element to that but Iā€™ve been of drinking age for 3 all Ireland final wins and numerous other finals and semi finals.
The vast majority of club players would not be ā€œoutā€ as there was more pressing matters like club championships the week after, a few pints after the match would be the height of it but thereā€™d be no Monday clubs unless the captain or manager was from the club.

Hopefully when we win in 2029 we enjoy it but Iā€™d say life will be fairly back to normal by the Tuesday and we will back throwing each other under the bus in club championships the following weekend.

Youā€™d be sick of coming out of Kerry if you went to every aul game

Exactly, Iā€™d be embarrassed to be taking up valuable drinking space in a pub full of inter county hurlers the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday after an all Ireland final win barring they were coming to our local.

I know a couple of lads who regularly fly home from the buildings in the USA to do such drinking after big games and they are seen as weirdos locally.

Official @peddlerscross Club Football POWER RANKINGS as of 31/07/2024

1. Watty Grahamā€™s Glen
  2. Kilmacud Crokes*
  3. Kilcoo
  4. St. Brigids (Roscommon)
  5. Na Fianna (Dublin)
  6. Corofin (Galway)
  7. Errigal Ciaran
  8. St. Finbarrs
  9. Moycullen
  10. Naomh Conaill
  11. Naas
  12. Crossmaglen Rangers
  13. Castlehaven
  14. Scotstown
  15. Mountbellew Moylough
  16. Ballyboden St. Endas
  17. Cargin
  18. Dingle
  19. Nemo Rangers
  20. Slaughtneil
3 Likes

Would these lads coach in their own club at all? I always find thereā€™s a certain sadness attached to people following the county team but not involved with their club. An auld lad in my club reckons itā€™s terrible that lads get to 40 now and think they can retirešŸ˜…

Clubs finding it very hard to get volunteers for administrative roles or for volunteering to steward on match days etc., despite the income stream it provides. Many parents who are past players are only interested in getting involved in teams where their own youngster is involved, rather than seeing the bigger picture.

Holycross Ballycahill get 150-200 volunteers for their big fundraiser (a Country & Western music festival in the pitch). A serious number, you might think but the devil is in the detail as they say; they get free entry to the event, a lunch, a dinner and a 6 drink vouchers to consume when everyone goes home that evening.

1 Like

What Michael Lowry has done in Holycross is simply astonishing.

They should be winning County Finals and competing for Munster and All Ireland Club Titles in the next decade if they keep it all together.

He struck while the iron was hot alright; I think these festivals wonā€™t be long dying off again. Attendances down at the Holycross and Clonoutly ones this year