Club Championships 2024

Itā€™s simply breathtaking what naas are achieving reaching the giddy heights of peddlers rankings across both codes for a club with zero tradition

Like a fucking train

https://twitter.com/offaly_gaa/status/1819459410332471702?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

2 Likes

4-26 KK 0-15 St rynaghs tonight. Looking like a one horse race this year and for the next few years in Offaly.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/OdhranBradley/status/1819486846684221705?t=_EOlv-okVBCp9Vut5vWAPA&s=19

Reigning Champions Watty Grahamā€™s Glen make their bow in this years competition tomorrow against Slaughtneil.

Tyrone Goalkeeper Niall Morgan is coaching Slaughtneil which seems a strange enough one.

Chrissy mckaigue is helping out with a Tyrone team also, I think it could be Edendork.

1 Like

I think that was Ardboe with Horse Devlin last year but maybe heā€™s switched it up.

Conleith Gilligan was Edendork manager in 2023 but not sure if heā€™s still there with the Armagh gig.

Thereā€™s savage cross-polination on the Ulster Club Coaching circuit.

Corofin should win Galway. Every other contender has a big player injured. Corofin have a clean bill of health more or less.

1 Like

Iā€™d disagree on that. I hate to talk up Moycullen but theyā€™ve still a panel to do damage in Galway even without Sean Kelly. McLaughlin is allegedly around and Dessie Conneely is still the best forward in the county that PJ doesnā€™t rate.

Iā€™ve heard contrary to your Corofin report that thereā€™s a key player looking to go on a foreign excursion. Add into that the fact that likes of Brady, Wall, Cunningham and Daz Silke havenā€™t overstepped the markers laid down by the Farraghers, Leonards and Lundys of the world.

Salthill allegedly wonā€™t have Rob Finnerty which is a hefty blow. Maher, Culhane, Sweeney, Dan Oā€™Flaherty and young Power are still decent firepower.

However the hopes of a nation rest on Cian Hernon recovering from a broken wrist in time to save the mighty CLG Bearna from a relegation battle.

Was on the road from Dublin to Limerick yesterday and was listening to a few different bits and pieces but are the GAA missing a huge marketing opportunity for the club game over the next two/three weekends? Pulled into Junction 14 and it was like a zoo, with everyone heading off in different directions for the holidays, majority in GAA gear and it got me thinking.Why not have a promotion and say for 20ā‚¬ you get a family ticket for local club games for the next two weekends provided you donā€™t normally live in the county? For example most of the crew in the office are Dubs or Kildare natives but heading to Wexford, Waterford and Galway mainly. If there was nothing happening wouldnā€™t it be grand to throw the kids in the car, head down to the local pitch and catch a club game. Nice boost to attendances and a chance to see the inter county guys in their own environment. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea but most women go on holidays to escape having to go to local club games.

I was in Kerry last weekend and got to a pub to watch the all Ireland, there was a full round of club football fixtures which I would have been given some reply to if I suggested we go watch Glenbeigh v the Gaeltacht.

7 Likes

GAA is really lacking a central database in the form of a website to broadcast club results - its a chore to try find results from Cork/Limerick/Kilkenny Senior Hurling games - I know Hoganstand make an attempt at it but there is definitely a market there for a website that promotes the club championships.

2 Likes

St Mullins pulled away in extra time of the replayed Carlow Senior Hurling semi final to beat Bagenalstown by 7 points.

3 Likes

Would you have to bring a utility bill to the turnstile to prove your address or something?

Your out of town accent would be enough.

Iā€™m still laughing thinking about telling my missus I was heading off to watch a random club match while we are on our holidays

Be better again when you tell her she is going.

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

And letting her know it is a double header just as you are heading in.

The Irish Press of a Monday used to publish a full list of GAA results countrywide. It was essential reading. And of course Sean Og Oā€™Ceallachainā€™s Sunday night rundown of all the nationā€™s GAA results was iconic.

11 Likes

I vaguely remember listening to that run down the odd night. when did it stop?