Club Championships 2024

Are they the same parish?

Are Rathdowney Errill the same parish too?

Ah twould be, there’d be no real distance between them.

My math was poor, I thought Errill had more.

Id rather regrade Junior C than join up with my local neighbours. Surely it can never be the same?

2 Likes

You’d like to see the majority of rural clubs fold so.

Clubs are joining because they’d to join at underage to field teams.

What’s worse, and you find it especially in Cork, where you have GAA clubs per half parish -so what you get is two small clubs in one parish rather than one larger club. That might of been viable back in the day but not now where you see rural depopulation. Its becoming more and more common for clubs to join up just to stay in existence - and its not just necessarily clubs in the same parish either.

1 Like

I know all about it.

What will happen is if you are joining underage to field teams and it’s working invariably the players will want to join at adult level.

It’s a cycle. You’ll always have the awkward types who are against it but such is life.

In Tipp I’d say the only amalgamation at Adult in the bones of 70 or 80 years has been Aherlow/Lattin back in 2013 and I could see those clubs going back to themselves in time.

Is there many joining underage ?

A good few alright. Particularly in South and West Tipp where rural depopulation is a big thing. But absolutely no prospect of anyone joining or needing to join at Adult level.

I’d say the retention rate in Tipp is fairly high compared to other places.

Basically if you don’t play hurling (even a bit of Junior) in Tipp well into your 20’s you would be considered the odd one out.

Possibly one of the reasons tipp are
Left behind at senior inter county though.

I’ve noticed a good few lads I would have grown up with from Tipp who packed it in in their early/mid 20s went back junior hurling again in their mid 30s after Covid and have stuck with it.

Tipperary are going to dominate again sooner rather than later.

The wheel has turned.

Been
A while since tipp have dominated.

1 Like

Inagh Kilnamona are an example of two smaller clubs joining up and they are now a very strong club in Clare - and have a great chance of claiming a Senior title (are they the same parish actually?)

Is there any other high profile examples of recent amalgamations?

Michael Cusacks combo of Kilbeacanty /Beagh seem to be going well - that will hardly lead to a full adult amalgamation will it?

1 Like

No

Kildimo / Pallaskenry

12 years ago one junior hurling team and one intermediate team and possibly no football team.

Now senior in both. With junior b and c hurling teams and a second football team.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they are the same parish actually.

Bit of a setback for them to lose the Clare League Final to the Newmarket Blues the other night.

Correct. The churches of Inagh, Kilnamona and Cloonanaha (as you head back towards Miltown Malbay) make up the parish

1 Like

The Dublin SHC gets up and running this weekend. The group 1 games take place in O’ Toole Pk while the Group 2 games will be played in Parnell Park and also have a live stream courtesy of Dubs TV.

Group 1.

Na Fianna vs St Brigids

Reigning champions Na Fianna will be looking to their returning inter county forwards to click into gear and get the win here. They won it last year without Donal Burke, but also have the Curries and AJ Murphy in a sharp looking attack on paper. Liam Rushe didn’t play any league games for them and it remains to be seen if he is coming back. Brigids had a difficult league and only stayed up on the last day. They have no returning inter county men as Cian O Sullivan has a long term injury. Eoghan Dunne is also absent and that blunts their attack. They’ll be looking for Paul Winters to raise flags. At the back they probably have the best marker in Dublin in Andy Dunphy who should be able to lock down one of the NAF forwards. They’ll also need big games from Alan Nolan, Johnny McGuirk and Donncha Ryan if there is to be an upset here.

Cuala vs Kilmacud Crokes.

Cuala had a wretched league by their standards and stayed out of a relegation scrap by virtue of a walkover. The glory days of 16-18 are well gone and their team will be unrecognisable from those days. Sean Brennan returning from Dublin will give them a good base at the back. Jake Malone, Liam Murphy and Colm Cronin will be looked at to score. It remains to be seen if Darragh O Connell or Sean Moran will return. Jamie Conroy has had two good years with the Dublin 20s and will be looked at to kick on. Crokes will be big favourites for this as they aspire to catch up with their neighbours Tommy Moore haul. They were unbeaten in the league and walloped Mt Sion recently on the BOICMC. They have the best panel in Dublin, getting them in all the right positions will be the issue. David Purcell is a young lad who will be looked on to impress. He has another 2 years at under 20 to go but looks like he has “it”.

Group 2.

St Judes vs St Vincents

Judes are on a slight upward curve after a few tough years. Recent promotions in league and championship give rise for hope of an upset here. They have good doughty backs in Ger McManus and Ciaran Mangan. Joe McManus is a tidy forward too but ultimately everything will come down to how Danny Sutcliffe plays. I give them a fighting chance here if Vincent’s don’t bring their A game. Vincents had a mediocre league but really are a championship outfit. Gilroy will have them primed. They’ll be looking for Conor Burke, Tomo Connolly and big John Hedgo to lead the way. They’ve lost Rian McBride and the full back Farrell to travels. Darach McBride is a talent but tapped. He could play anywhere too.

Craobh Chiarain vs Whitehall.
This game pitches probably the two lowest ranked teams in the championship together. Craobh are have an awful run of things and will be low on quality on the edges of their team. They"ll be looking for Billy Ryan and Cian Derwin to shoot them for a win. Kevin Hetherton will surely be left with the task of marking Eoghan O Donnell. O Donnell was top scorer in the championship from play last year and if given enough ball can win this on his own. Paddy Spellacy and Daire Grey will be looked on to supply. I give them the nod here.

5 Likes

Tipp were dominant in the early 60s alright in fairness.

2 Likes