Coach Klopp - dream maker

A lovely man and a wonderful football man. One of my favourite football interviews ever at the end of this clip.

Remind of the expensive City signings in 2006 there😂 Samaras? Didi Hamann? Liverpool were relatively cash strapped back then too. Daniel Agger on the cheap from Brondby was their January signing. I think the board actually prevented Benitez from pushing for Vidic that same window.

@Aertel220 can you draw up the achievements of both Klopp and Ferguson for the respective first 8 years of both?

1 Like

Should be remembered how crap the Liverpool team was when Klopp took over. The end of the previous season they were battered 6-1 by Stoke. Brodge got a reprieve but once they were still crap at the beginning of the next season he was gone by October.

Mick O Dwyer vs Stephen Rochford

Tis better to have loved and lost klopp than to have lost 7-0

Didn’t they get humiliated by Aston Villa a few seasons ago

Klopp won the lot. Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, Club World Cup. Appeared in two more Champions League finals with a club who qualified for the competition just once between 2009 and 2017. Achieved in the face of unrivalled competition with oil state funded teams.

Fergie had won 2 leagues competing against Norwich, Villa and Blackburn. Two FA Cups and a Cup Winners Cup. He’d done nothing else in Europe really and had been ousted by Galatasaray and Goteborg in Europe. Although he did have to deal with “Ta Ra Fergie” and the clamour for his removal from the position. In stark contrast with the affection and unwavering support Klopp has received from the Liverpool support.

4 Likes

Klopp didn’t even want Salah.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I suspect Liverpool will improve infinitely next year.

The Pyjama boys loved Klopp behind all the bluster. Their hearts aren’t in it.

1 Like

So they’ll be even further clear at the top of the table?

I didn’t dispute Ferguson being a great manager. You said Manchester United were at a far lower ebb when Ferguson took over than Liverpool were when Klopp took over. That’s utter bullshit. Manchester United were in a far more advantageous situation than Liverpool were in.

Longevity of Ferguson’s sort can only happen at a club where the dice is completely in your favour, where you have the most money and the most resources. Manchester United were always England’s richest club during Ferguson’s tenure bar a short spell where Chelsea went spending crazy. At both Dortmund and Liverpool Klopp has had to keep his teams ultra-competitive in the face of utterly dominant opponents with far more money. The emotional demands of managing in England and especially at a club like Liverpool where the emotional tone is always pitched higher than anywhere else have also gone way up since Ferguson’s time.

Liverpool literally nearly won the
League only for Gerrard slipping 14 months before klopp took over.

Don’t United get humiliated pretty much every game they play?

3 Likes

Wow… That’s damning… Klopp hit 92, 97 and 99 points also.

When you put the time frames up like that Klopp walks all over him.

They get humiliated even when they don’t play, have you heard about the stadium roof?

It’s amazing how lads can’t comprehend how inequitable modern day football is compared to the 1980’s. Like two different sports there’s such a chasm nowadays. I remember friends of mine in college scoffing that Klopp wouldn’t even finish top 4 at Liverpool on the day he was appointed. They acknowledged that he was a great coach but reckoned it didn’t matter who was over Liverpool, they’d still be stuck in limbo of 5th at best.

1 Like

Or the wife beating rapists

2 Likes

Covid season in all fairness. All titles won in that era across all teams & sports are absolutely meaningless, you couldn’t read anything into it. If he can break the Al-Ittihad, Al Nasr stranglehold in Saudi Arabia then he’ll be a deserved favourite for the role.

1 Like

Liverpool nearly won the league because Suarez carried them on his back and the team clicked in an almost super-natural way.

Liverpool’s typical team in 2013/14 was:
Mignolet
Johnson-Agger-Skrtel-Flanagan
Henderson-Gerrard-Coutinho
Sterling-Suarez-Sturridge

By the time Klopp came in, Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, Johnson and Agger were gone. Sturridge was crocked. Skrtel, Flanagan, Mignolet and squad players like Joe Allen weren’t good enough and needed to be moved on.

Of that team only Henderson and Coutinho would go on to play significant roles and Coutinho was then sold.

1 Like