Compulsive Liars are hilarious

A few years ago, I worked with this lad (heā€™d be well in his 50ā€™s now), lets call him Stephen. He was the greatest bullshitter, heā€™d make up stories every minute of the day. If you said the name of a town. heā€™d have been there and have a story about it, heā€™d know people there. If you told a story about anything, heā€™d immediately come back with one to better it. Constantly tripped himself up, trying to remember his lies. He was sacked eventually as pretty much all the leads he was bringing in were bullshit. He went to another printing company, which he eventually bankrupted, through doing cash jobs on the side with the production manager, using the paper and inputs paid for by the company. Aside from being a bullshitter, he was as dodgy as all fuck. His expense claims were hilarious.
He has taken this bullshitting to a new level however. I listen to ABC radio driving in the morning and every so often, heā€™d call in with some tall tale. Itā€™s probably more like once a week I hear him now and always chuckle to myself. Myself and our old boss sometimes have a pint together and heā€™d always start the conversation with ā€œDid you hear that tool on the radio the other day?ā€.
This morning was a classic. Robbie Buck on the ABC 702 is talking about Glen Campbell and asked anyone who had ever met him to call in. ā€œWe have Stephen on the line to talk about Glen Campbellā€. ā€œFor fucks sakeā€ says I to myself.

Stephen proceeded to regale us with the story of how in 1990, he was in Nordstrumā€™s in San Francisco, buying a pair of red snakeskin cowboy boots. He goes to pay (that would be a first) and whoā€™s waiting in the queue behind him, only Glen Campbell. They had a great chat and at the till, Glen says to the cashier to put Stephenā€™s boots on his account. Stephen wasnā€™t hearing any of this and while thankful, insisted on paying himself.
Fast forward about 20 years and Glen Campbell is playing in the Hunter Valley in NSW, so Stephen and the wife go to see him. They met him after the concert (bit unclear how he got to meet Glen Campbell after a concert) and of course Glen remembered him ā€œRed Boots!ā€ he cries on seeing his old Australian buddy.

My recollection from Stephen is that he had only ever been to Las Vegas and no other American city. This was after he had spent some time working on a trawler out of Tasmania, he had so much money to blow, he thought Las Vegas was the place to do it. I look forward to the next instalment of his remarkable life, transmitted on national radio.

14 Likes

Sounds like a flaming galah

Australia has in my experience the strangest people on the planet. Iā€™ve been mostly to Melbourne, but on the last night of one trip I went on the beer and met a couple from Wagga Wagga who had driven to ā€œtownā€ for the night (it was midweek). It was one of the strangest interactions with other humans I have had. Next day we flew out of Melbourne to Sydney and flew over Wagga Wagga, which was about half way. These mad cunts had driven 200 miles to go drinking.

If youā€™d went to Tenerife for the holidays, heā€™d be just back from Elevenerife.

6 Likes

Itā€™s all relative. Think of the size of the place, itā€™s like @Thelinkwalsh driving 2kā€™s home after downing 6 pints and a brandy at the Spots.

Havenā€™t seen him in a good while. Hopefully heā€™s enjoying himself in the international space station riding around on his unicorn.

1 Like

I met Glen a good few times and he never mentioned that he had an account in Nordstrums

Maybe he had one at Nordstroms?

Thatā€™s because he was spending all his money on cowboy boots for my mate Stephen and couldnā€™t extend it to a gift for you.

1 Like

IMG_1315

IMG_1318

weird

Very weird mate. Why would he lie?

Context please
Heā€™s weird

Whatā€™s this about?

1 Like

:open_mouth:

This is the end of him

1 Like