Comrade Patty Cosgrove - Irish Hero

Its completely bizarre he would attack a FF Councillor for out of date NCT. It happens to everyone and if your taking the piss youā€™ll be picked up in a checkpoint. Itā€™s not like she has avoided it or got the gardai to squash a fine/points for it. How does he think this will stick considering he couldnā€™t take down leo for his leak, a serious offence.

Paddy needs to get off twitter. He clearly is not in good place

If the people of South Dublin elect an NCT dodger we may as well throw our hats at it

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

And would probably look down on people getting a ā€˜free gaffā€™ which they have to pay rent for and stays in the ownership of the council.

Notwithstanding the fact that she would probably be against people earning more than ā‚¬100k a year paying additional tax on the element over ā‚¬100k. They have been told these people will uproot their families, take their kids from schools and leave the country on the next plane which is also bullshit.

1 Like

Keep your tan terms to yourself, thank you

He posted a giant Q (a reference to QAnon) on Instagram a few minutes after his death. Some lad to ball hop.

Itā€™s hardly uncommon for a county councillor on 20k a year or something plus expenses to be driving an old car. Also, FF candidates are generally normal people unlike the privately educated SFGers

For what its worth, people earning over ā‚¬70k already pay additional tax on that element above ā‚¬70k and those earning over ā‚¬100k from non-PAYE income pay additional too.

Bit disingenuous there.

Anyone earning over 70k will pay an extra 3.5% on those earnings over 70k,

Hardly punitive.

Should decrease that threshold to make the teachers pay their share instead of the wealth creators.

Sure she was so stuck for cash that she had to take in a smelly Lithuanian lodger.

Should it be ā€œpunitiveā€? Are we to discourage people earning over this? Is this seen as getting above oneā€™s station in life?

It should be more.

Income tax should be more weighted at higher earners and itā€™s not.

Someone who earns 400k a year only has to pay an extra 3.5-6.5% on that than someone earning 65k say? Do you think that is equitable?

Someone earning 65k a year will pay ā‚¬20.5k in tax/prsi etc - 31% of their income

Someone earning 400k a year will pay ā‚¬194.5k in tax/prsi etc - 49% of their income

Doesnā€™t seem too inequitable to me to be honest.

But donā€™t worry about what I think - there has been repeated independent studies showing that Irelandā€™s income tax system is one of the most progressive (i.e. weighted on higher earners) in the Western world.

I think your ā€œpunitiveā€ comment gets to the heart of your true feelings on this

2 Likes

Does seem pretty inequitable for me.

What jobs would genuinely dictate a salary of 400k?

I said you were trying to push it as punitive when it clearly isnā€™t. The taxation system in Ireland suits the high earners much more than the lower income earners.

• Partners in big accountancy / law firms.
  • Jobs up the ladder in the big multinational tech companies - Google and Microsoft pay crazy money
  • Successful jobs in tech sales - the sort of guys who only make a few big sales per year but the sales are huge.
  • Business people

I donā€™t know about jobs for ā‚¬400k - it was you who brought that number in

1 Like

What Iā€™m saying is in what sort of society is that kind of job genuinely appropriate. I donā€™t think it is.

Itā€™s wealth inequality and I believe in a fairer society, some of the salaries executives draw in are obscene and the taxation system should try to reduce wealth inequality.

1 Like

It was part of my point. The taxation system in Ireland encourages wealth inequality.

From beyond the grave?