Concussions

In all fairness you shouldn’t be equating what you did trotting around a rugby pitch to put in an evening with the sacrifices a World Cup winner made.

2 Likes

You’d wonder if he was independently tested

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Surely he wasn’t allowed back to play with no insurance

As the narrative suggests in the programme players were/are just meat

Plenty of lads destroyed themselves playing GAA for less.

Under no circumstances. Ever.

You musn’t have watched the documentary did you?

Think this element will be the crux of rugby’s future- forced.

Thompson forced to retire. Forced by his own body screaming it. A body that was likely screaming but he ignored for months, years.

He forced himself past the point of his physical capabilities to the detriment of his mental well-being. He knew he had to quit. He even did so and returned for more, forced by no one but himself. I’ve sympathy for him and his family but he’s clearly a dope.

The unions will argue they regrettably knew as little as the players and science available back then. Theyll also argue the players are now every bit as informed as they are on the issue. And players still take the field

Nobody is forced into head trauma intentionally. It’s an unintended, undesired byproduct of the game. If every effort is made towards mitigation and education, then personal responsibility will ultimately be the crux of the game surviving or being swallowed by litigation. You take the field, you know the risks of personal harm and still choose to play- nobody is forced.

What the fuck does that mean?

He knew his body was fucked. That fucked he was forced to retire from that level.

And when retirement saw his body start to recuperate, he chose to go back into the fold again. That choice added further consequence to his physical and mental well being.

Christ

It’s a very uncomfortable topic. My daughter gave up camogie because of a bad incident.

Get Neco Williams off for fuck sake.

I see Lauren Guilfoyle has done an injury review from schools rugby as part of her PHD. Across 220 games there were 207 injuries recorded…130 of them were tackle related…of these 27 approx resulted in a concussion. So about one concussion per 8 games in the tackle in schools rugby

It doesn’t say it but I am assuming that does not include injuries resulting from the breakdown so no head clashes being picked up from that source.

Cc @fenwaypark

1 Like

Sounds scientifically concrete alright.

Which bit do you have the issue with. You should write to her PhD supervisor

1 Like

Is that just Munster or all schools. Is it just SCT or all years?

Practically an injury in every game there to start with anyway. What insurance company would touch that. And a heap of head injuries thrown in.