Cork GAA 2018

they can’t be a club. how can fellas play for two clubs in the same competition?

The UCC footballers have played in Munster as recently as 2011

Johnny Buckley and Daithi Casey won Co Medals in both Cork and Kerry the same year

1 Like

It shouldn’t be allowed but there you go .

that is fucking farcical.

So did the two boys play against the team they won a Cork County with in Munster?

Yes Crokes beat UCC in that years Munster Club final

are they allowed play senior in Cork with their club and UCC?

cc @gilgamboa

No

No

For instance Mark Coleman and Daragh Fitzgibbon can play for UCC because they come from Intermediate clubs whereas Shane Kingston can only tog for Douglas

1 Like

but is there a loophole say where Harnedy (for example) could play senior with his division and with UCC

No Harnedy played for UCC until he left College and then played for Imokilly thereafter

3 Likes

Every potential UCC player from Cork would have this decision to make because all non senior clubs would be eligible to provide players to a division. Most follow scolarships and play for college or else if you were from a div that didnt tqke it seriously you’d play for college

1 Like

Yes its more or less a given you’ll play for UCC but I guess the option is there to play for the division if you so wish

Informative. thanks.

still sounds a load of bollocks to me, that a fella can play club in two counties. If I tried it with Christians and Aghada i’d get 2 years off

1 Like

Ya one of the major issues with Corks county teams and club scene is farcical set up with colleges and divisions.

I know CIT want out of County championship but there is a relationship there based on facilities etc and they were asked not to pull out. In one year recently they had no Sigerson player available.

The division s are also a farce. Only Imokilly in hurling and Duh allow in football bother their hole

It fuck up whole system.

Unfortunately like provincial councils the auld lads on divisional boards love having a senior team while the likes of Frank and Dr. Con love having UCC in there

1 Like

The big problem for UCC is getting through early rounds when they are short players. They are dangerous in the later rounds and could well have beaten Nemo in the football quarter last year.

it seems like it is in flagrant disregard of GAA rules. Did they pull a stroke to allow the colleges into the club championships?

They are in a good position for hurling now I believe

I have not investigated but apparently alot of players should be available going forward

No its there from start. Thomson College (UL) won some championships or got to finals in early days.

It’s so rare they get thru nobody complains

Thomond College won an all Ireland club in 1978 & had no Limerick man on panel .

2 Likes