Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Do you think they’ll go out of business.

GAA county board finances are the definition of Monopoly money,
They got it built

I don’t think county boards really can “go out of business”. It would set an interesting precedent alright though. Maybe they could sell off all the assets and relocate Cork GAA to somewhere like Cavan and rebrand them as the Border Rebels.

https://twitter.com/michealmartintd/status/1747272840762872174?s=46&t=yRtB8lhW_RucCjdm3dqcBw

2 Likes

Boston Scientific, Statkraft and PepsiCo all in on the deal also. Truth be told, this sounds like a great deal for Cork GAA.

Not sure what Martin is bleating on about. I’d be very worried this could be used as a stick to get the Govt to clear the PUIC debt.

Be very careful what you wish for lads.

1 Like

This should go to a national vote. It would be the biggest mistake in the gaa a long time.

Another step towards professionalism by the split season lunatics.

Just reminding guys that these stadia have already sold their naming rights.

UPMC Nowlan Park
Laois Hire O Moore Park
Kingspan Breffni Park
Netwatch Cullen Park
TUS Gaelic Grounds
O Neills Healy Park
Chadwicks Wexford Park
Box It Athletic Grounds
Echelon Park Aughrim

2 Likes

Its money for nothing, changes nothing. Great deal at a time when they are at an historic low.

2 Likes

We can be a very backward country in many ways at times.

1 Like

All these big successful companies want to give us money for shag all, desperate situation! Imagine the rights fee they can drive when they start punching their weight again.

Surely wouldn’t hurt an enterprising local politician to suggest the state buys Pairc Ui Rinn as a municipal venue and solves the Cork Co Board’s financial in de wan stroke

2 Likes

Its almost too easy.

I’m not sure how the government could seek naming rights tbf.

Páirc Dáil Éireann?
PĂĄirc Oireachtas?

You obviously never heard of the Bertie bowl

They bought the naming rights for the Oireachtas hurling tournament.

Frank Murphy has done his county some service here

I was talking to someone who works in the Sports Sponsorship Industry and who may or may not have played a role in this Supervalu Park deal being struck and he says Cork have been totally and utterly mugged off here.

1 million over 3 years is effectively peanuts for a stadium of that size.

1 Like

Its a free million when they’re in desperate need of it. Nobody will call it anything other than PUC anyway. Lads are shook Cork are making headlines again. Times are tough.

1 Like

Cork Royal Sporting Grounds

Annoyingly though in any press releases, media things etc., it’ll have to be referred to by the sponsored name.

Some people still call McDonald’s Mandy’s, it will be graaand. Let the media away with their shite talk.