Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

They thought that 2 years ago too.

Getting their excuses in early. A venue shouldn’t matter a damn.

Ah yeah, sport is full of examples of home advantage not mattering.

Anseo!

V early in the year to be ordaining a fella

1 Like

Tbh I’d agree. They are getting two PUC games in a row against Kerry off back of it. You’d have to hope we will be stronger in next few years than now and them games might be more valuable to us

1 Like

Players don’t think like that I suppose, they’re being prepared for a match with Kerry this year and they want home advantage.

How do you think Limerick would have dealt with it @dodgy_keeper , maybe they don’t need to worry about revenue but surely the Ed Sheeran gig was announced before the schedule?

2 Likes

Home advantage is home advantage.

If Cork want to play it in Clonakilty, so be it. Same for any county.

Surely the Cork CB could have foreseen this exact scenario unfolding, though.

They can’t have it both ways, the Munster Council have two years worth of match revenue to retrieve, they want bums on seats - or more pertinently cash in the account from the most high profile football match in the province.

The Cork CB have screwed over their own team and management by hosting a concert and taking the few pieces of silver. They only have themselves to blame, the Cork football squad should save their ire for their own and not anyone elsewhere.

3 Likes

Do you think they should have withdrawn from hosting the concerts? I assume they have a large debt on the stadium redevelopment.
I agree with your point re the players but I wonder how much information they had about scheduling before Sheeran put his dates on the table, sounds like an excuse to rant at Cork :man_shrugging:
How do you think Limerick would have dealt with it?

1 Like

Exactly.

Limerick could play in Mick Neville sure.

1 Like

Has anyone asked the question as to why the remedial work to Pairc Ui RInn hasn’t been done?

They knew it was slated to hold the game, they had plenty time to get it done.

2 Likes

For Limerick you’d have to assume it was the hurlers
Cork/Kerry is still a big fixture

This is a CB who held onto and worked around one of the worst playing surfaces in Ireland when redeveloping PuíC so don’t be too surprised.

The old Pairc?

It certainly was ropey for a long time, but had a pristine surface in it’s latter years. I was on the pitch the day of the final game (2014 Munster final) and it was like a bowling green with a lively spring on it.

1 Like

Whether they should have withdrawn from the concerts is Cork’s business. They plunged themselves millions into debt through a massive overspend.

Not ranting about Cork at all & I’d attribute zero blame to Ricken or the players for wanting home advantage. Antrim are playing their home Ulster football championship match v Cavan in a ground which has only a couple of thousand seats but that’s their prerogative. And rightfully so, that’s the ground they’ve designated and capacity shouldn’t matter. Maybe I’m being naive that sporting integrity matters more than moolah.

What would Limerick have done? I’d like to think that Spike, as the leading administrator in Irish sport, would have done his due diligence.

• at the outset he’d have let clubs know what hosting the concert would roughly generate.
  • find out from the organisers how long the pitch is out of use for.
  • included the football and hurling team in discussions and advise if they had to forfeit home advantage what other venues would be acceptable.
  • keep the Munster Council in the loop (if we can’t play at our first choice ground, is our second ground deemed acceptable to host the championship match? If not, why and what’s the minimum capacity required? If yes, can I get that in writing to go back to the football squad with?

This fiasco is entirely self inflicted. Coming out now six weeks before one of the biggest games of the year is fairly shambolic.

3 Likes

The hurlers with three Senior All Irelands behind them would probably be relaxed enough about where they play.

3 Likes

Nail. On. The. Head.

There seems to have been a presumption among Cork CB that they’d just be OK to play it in Porky Reeeen, but it appears that they didn’t do their due diligence and didn’t check out if remedial works were needed to keep capacity at its highest.

Spike just doesn’t make errors like that :man_shrugging:

I was there myself and it was grand in the summertime in fairness, they had done some work on it. But didn’t turn out that way after the redevelopment. Walked across the pitch on Saturday night, perfect sod for hurling.

How many concerts are they hosting?

Westlife are there too arent they?

Ha!