Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

I don’t know pal… There’s a distinct lack of steel in that Cork team and I mean that from a mentality point of view. They might take a scalp or two and can cause teams trouble on their day but you know the same old failings are there. Lahane is a lovely hurler and given time/space he’s a joy … But what’s he the answer to? You can’t instill the dog in players and he has shown time and again the fight isn’t there when pushed.

I think Joyce is made of the right stuff. And Connolly has good potential. But you’re talking about transition - who are you expecting in for Hoggie, Harnedy and 3 players for the full back line? Coleman isn’t a 6 either.

There’s lots questions and I don’t know if Kingston has the answers.

1 Like

Cork have Waterford exactly where they want them now you’d have to say

1 Like

From last night? I’m fairly pessimistic but I don’t think we are quite as bad as shown.

Played OK. He’s just not a defender of any make shape or form

1 Like

You say this a bit. I wouldn’t agree. He is in serious shape

Isn’t much talk about Lehane today

For the profile of a team that cork are - young up and coming team - I would think they needed to be hitting close to championship form by last night. If anything the match last night raised more doubts and questions about them. I don’t see where the turnaround comes from to see them challenging for an all Ireland this year. Still think they’ll come out of Munster.

Where would you play him realistically?

All lick & no lolly. The story of Cork hurling for the last quarter of a century.

Wing back or midfield.

You can’t have both him and Fitzgibbon midfield, we saw that last night with Fitzgibbon/Millerick.

Half-back is definitely his best position but I presume he was moved to the center partly because he was getting exposed under puck-outs on the wing - his lack of size will always be an issue imo.

Cork were very poor in the league last year v Limerick. I remember they were hopeless. They significantly improved v Limerick in the Munster championship before Limerick got two goals on the stroke off half time.

The Cork / Limerick game should be be tight. I can’t see how Limerick close the gap on where Cork and Waterford are at right now with not having a meaningful game in 6 weeks by the time of throw in …

I’d play Fitzgibbon at 11. Millerick should be defending or sweeping

1 Like

Hard done by to be substituted

1 Like

There wasn’t many weren’t candidates for the curly finger

1 Like

He had just scored a great point aswell.

2 Likes

I’m afraid he isn’t even that mate. He looks lovely on the ball, but Hannon is far more influential with ball in hand than Coleman. Coleman tends to go sideways with a lot of passes and tends to play it safe. He can move forward well at times but again, Hannon’s scoring rate in big games is far better I would think?

1 Like

Agree there was a good few could have come off ahead of him. This is the thing, Cork don’t seem to have made any progress on the big question marks over the team. Lehane first to be taken off, is that out of habit? He was hardly the biggest problem on the field. Seems like a step forward and two steps back having him back in the team tearing it up and then it’s back to having him first player subbed off again. Still debating how to carry Coleman at 6, not clear who’s going to play full back. Still too many weaknesses in defence. Still not enough tackling from the forwards. I don’t see how all those questions get addressed this season.

1 Like

In-game management was shocking. How in the name of God Lehane was taken off I’m not sure. ROF did well in the final few moments but should have been taken off before Lehane. ROF has this frustrating habit of being unbelievable for 15 minutes and anonymous for the other 55/60.

My team for Limerick
Collins
SOD DOL NOL
TOM Coleman Joyce
Millerick Fitz
ROF Harnedy Lehane
Kingston Hoggy Barrett

Don’t think Millerick works in midfield in general but he’s needed there for Limerick IMO with Lynch there and the fact that management won’t move Coleman from 6. I don’t know how Niall O’Leary has suddenly fallen from the pecking order. He shouldnt be dropped to accommodate an in-form Downey at wing back - Joyce has to play in a more natural position, not where he was last night having zero influence on the game.

Daire O’Leary at fb and if he’s injured go with Cahalane. Downey way too slow for fb although he is a good option at half back.

I want Barrett to stay close to Hannon. Stay close to him and I think Limerick could be put under pressure working the ball out. He makes them tick, and Barrett has the right work rate and aggression to hassle their anchor in defence.

Anyone calling to drop Harnedy is out of their minds. His ball winning ability and doggedness is invaluable to our team that just doesn’t have the required work rate and aggression.

1 Like