Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Byrnes still does, he’s just got more time and is more accurate

What is a genius??

Quibbling over terms, and I don’t think Kinnerk would ever be comfortable with being labelled a genius, but I do believe he is the best hurling coach in the country. I’m sure there are other good coaches too but he is ahead of the curve.

5 Likes

He’s the best hurling coach I’ve ever seen to utilise football drills in hurling that’s for sure. That makes him the best hurling coach out there I guess

He has turned our great sport into an abomination.

Fellas going on about ‘delivery zones’, ‘hybrid zones’, 'transition zones, ‘landing zones’. I mean ffs.

2 Likes

Ah stop. Limerick have brought the game to absolutely sensational levels of skill. The workrate though below in Pairc UI Chaoimh last weekend was insane.

It was off the charts. The swarm tackles, just a savage hunger to turn over ball.

Each and every one of those players is as honest as the day is long. Its a team effort.

It really is all about the team. Its dreamland stuff from our perspective. Savagely managed by Kiely and co in fairness.

10 Likes

Limerick won’t be getting ahead of themselves either based off the first round of the round robin.

There is a savage test coming Saturday night. Hopefully it will be an unreal game.

Middle third will be highly contested id say.

Did Kinnerk introduce those terms?

No, Bob Ryan did

I have never heard Kinnerk use any of those terms. The imitators probably do.

An incredibly stupid comment by an empty vessel.

Whatever might be said of Paul Kinnerk, it is certainly clear there are not “numerous others like him”.

You really would go a long way to find a remark as brain dead as that one. Or as ego led.

6 Likes

They are terms coined by the Tipperary GAA performance analyst.

Smacks of jealousy.

Its horrendous stuff lets be honest.

I have been bored off my tree more often than not at Inter County games these past few years.

And im very disappointed nearly all counties have sold out to this mind numbing stuff now. Cork with their slow, loopy, lateral and backwards passes to their goalkeeper being the nadir of it all.

I remember when a corner back would open the shoulders and launch it 90 yards down the field to a huge roar of approval from the crowd. Those roars were far bigger than when there’d be a score even. Paul Murphy from Kilkenny used be the king of it. Now theres no engagement from the crowd really and you could nearly have a conversation as the match goes on. Theres no edge of the seat stuff.

Hopefully Cody sticks to his principles and orders Paddy Deegan and co to revert to just winding up and launching it into TJ Reid at the edge of the square. At least there’d be a sense of adventure about it.

3 Likes

Hard to tell whether it was a back handed swipe at the cork coaching staff or a "ye just got lucky " snioe at Limerick

Ah stop. Limerick can and will play it anyway the opposition wants buddy.

10 plus points from the backs last week. Incredible.

We are lucky to be alive to see the greatest hurling team of all time. Simple as.

1 Like

Swipe at Limerick and Kinnerk. If what Kinnerk does was that simple, everyone would be at it.

2 Likes

They did that for the last 15 minutes of the all ireland semi last year and it cost them a place in an AI Final.

3 Likes

And also the obligatory swipe at ex players getting coaching gigs ahead of real coaches (i.e himself)

2 Likes

Well, indeed.

But the reality is that this statement, merely in factual terms, is doolally. There are not lots of Paul Kinnerk level coaches out there. If nothing else, who has a comparable CV?

1 Like

Whether you like it or not its now to coin another phrase “a results driven game” and it is also now a one title game. Its all about the all Ireland. The day is gone in both codes where a provincial and or a league title is seen as having a decent if not successful season. Truth be told, it went thst way in 97 when the first of the qualifiers was introduced.