Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

You lads are worse replying to him.

Im bored. Theres fuck all on the telly.

Kinnerk first started coaching an intercounty minor team in 2009 I think, what age was he then? He had no hurling pedigree, just pure ability. He is modern hurling coaching.

5 Likes

I think theyll have to ban the pass back to a goalie - at least straight from the puckout - like in Football.

And the puckout should have to travel outside the 21. Its horrendous watching players come back inside the 21 to collect the ball from a puckout.

24 or thereabouts.

Kinnerk is obviously an incredible coach, working with an insanely talented and hungry group of players.
You could always reply to Kevin Mulcahy on twitter, nobody on the Cork GAA thread is gonna disagree

My sense of what Limerick generally do is as follows:

– They largely hold their whole half back line in place, so as to have a three man screen in front of their full back line.

– They withdraw all their half forwards and maybe one of their full forwards out into middle third, as de facto midfielders.

– Two full forwards – Séamus Flanagan and Aaron Gillane, typically – stay in a markedly high line at full forward. The high line factor is crucial. This arrangement means SF and AF can attack deliveries with menace rather than having to contest ball sent over their head. This arrangement likewise means there is plenty of space in front of SF and AG for deliveries to hit.

– Nearly all of Limerick’s opponents over the last four seasons end up with only one sitting half back, their centre back. This factor allows more space for deliveries into SF and AG. Opponents feel their wing backs need to follow the Limerick wing forwards on their travels.

– The situation with Cian Lynch as a ‘false 11’ centre forward involves complex calculations as regards limiting his impact. I would recommend that he be man marked by someone named in the opposition forwards (or that one of those forwards hurl at midfield if a midfielder is tasked with being CL’s marker).

– A notable aspect of Kilkenny’s 2019 championship win over Limerick was Kilkenny mainly keeping their three half backs in place.

– Limerick essentially play with five or six players in midfield (two regular midfielders plus three or four forwards). Their opponents often have seven players in midfield (two regular midfielders, three half forwards and two wing backs).

– The central Limerick gambit therefore is that they can give up numerical supremacy in midfield, through keeping all three of their half backs in place, and still generate enough possession to win games. Meanwhile their opponents have only one sitting half back.

– This central gambit, further finessed, is that the space opened by a sole sitting half back more than repays the numerical supremacy conceded in midfield. All the more so when you factor in Limerick’s score opportunity-denying three man screen at half back.

– I reckon Limerick in part concede this supremacy because of the increased number of puckouts in the contemporary game. If you have a puckout every 60 seconds or quicker, as the contemporary game largely does, there is an inbuilt ability to reset. Numerical supremacy at midfield, because fleeting in large part, becomes less significant.

– If and when Limerick are beaten, the winner will probably have kept a three man half back line in place. This team will go five against five or six against six in midfield.

– The other possible winning approach lies in the logic of realizing numerical superiority in midfield means running opportunities can be generated. This road is the one Waterford seem to be headed down. I would imagine Liam Cahill has done a lot of analysis in this line. But my caveat about puckouts remains.

22 Likes

That’s their system but the players within that system are unbelievably well coached.

Their system is not one dimensional either (which was downfall of Wexford and Waterford under McGrath), and does not place an importance on individual players. I would say that their system enhances the performances of individual players and if some of these players (which are rightly lauded) where part of another set up, they might not be as well regarded as they are now.

Cahill and Bevans look the most likely to beat them.

3 Likes

I agree with all those points.

I did not mention in that last post how blessed Limerick are with personnel, because I presume that everyone now pretty much agrees on how good their players are. The most remarkable aspect is the degree in which so many of them improved since 2017/18.

3 Likes

Limerick not playing with seven defenders is crucial, because not doing so gives a team, as you imply, far more flexibility. And flexibility is the core of success in team sport.

1 Like

Sure most of the time that happens the goalie launches it, isn’t that what you wanted?

3 Likes

A couple of small points to slightly counteract your points (which I in the main agree with)

Firstly, in hesitating to replace Declan Hannon in 2019, Limerick largely contributed to their own downfall. Even still they were able to narrow the gap to a very manageable three points by half time. They hit some unbelievable wides in that game and truth be told should have been well ahead come final whistle. But thems the breaks.
Secondly while the personel may be largely them same,the team as a whole is a completely different and more developed squad since 2019.
Thirdly and possibly the most important point of all. 4 of Limericks six backs got on the score line last Sunday. The point being that while the middle third is seen as the winning and the losing of the game, Limerick dont necessarily need to break through that middle third to score. They are quite content to out point the opposition and take their chances in long range shooting if the need arises.
Therefore as has been pointed out before, the best way to beat them is to ensure that your full forward line in particular closes in on the full back line for both puck outs and are prepared to fight tooth and nail in general play to stop any of the full back line coming out with clean unchallenged ball. By challenging the full back line (even fouling when necessary), it negates either the quick delivery in and slows down the ability to work the ball through the lines.
Then and only then does your point become valid as regard the opposition half back line holding their line

4 Likes

Nickie Quaids puckouts are the best in the business
, you have to factor that in.

Literally arrows at times. His game management is absolutely second to none in terms of going long or short etc.

In my view he is getting better too. We are blessed to have him in Limerick.

1 Like

What has this to do with Cork?

This is the nub of it, as we headed past the winter and into the spring of 2019 all I was hoping for was that we’d give a decent defence and be competitive for a few years and not disappear like Clare did post 2013. No one could have predicted in my opinion in the autumn of 2018 that a reign of dominance was about to begin and that some of that team would become players of their generation.

2 Likes

Yes but its preceeded by an accurate pass back to him. He wants accurate stick passing banned. He basically wants, ironically enough, rugby type tactics where as soon as you get the ball you just give it back to the opposition in their half.

1 Like

Donal Og, the back of a cornflakes box tactician. I’d love to know what he makes of this?

2 Likes

Limerick have conquered Cork hurling & seized control of this thread.

Donal og cusack sums everything that’s wrong with modern hurling. A bigger cunt than Davy imo.

What cork need is jimmy barry Murphy.

1 Like

All good supplementary points, Mike, I think. I am delighted for any post of mine to prompt such a fine response.

Limerick are going to be hard to very hard to beat for a good while. Their control in the tight is exemplary. And they are extremely well drilled in carving out chances. Their wide count might, some day, be an Achilles heel. But they remain highly formidable, stating the obvious.

Your highlighting of the full back line’s significance is spot on. A scoring chance, once Limerick set their whirl in motion and get out towards midfield in possession, usually accrues. So the whole thing needs to be stopped at source.

2 Likes