Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

A DOG.

It goes way beyond that

Is there a medicine for Corkness?

Cork haven’t evolved at all, the opposite really. They’ve taken that short passing and brought it to the point of farce.
Limerick do short passing as well. But only to work it to the point where they can deliver it.
Every decent team in the country now clogs the middle to prevent runners down the centre, yet Cork haven’t tweaked it at all.

Even the orignal Cork team they still hit loads of decent ball into their forwards from distance. Into Ben O’Connor, Deane etc running into space.

Cork seem to have forgotten why they were short passing in the first place. It was a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Against Limerick the first day it was like they couldn’t play it forward until they had hit 5 short passes or something. Like a drill in training. Its bizarre.

3 Likes

That Ciaran Joyce looks to be an absolutely outstanding prospect. Cork still need to sort 3 out but they are not miles off it. They could easily be the second best team in the country with a better management team in place.

For whatever reason they’d a brutal underage record for the bones off 20 years but I’m not sure how that’s Donal og or Donal o Grady’s fault.

The problem is that promising youngsters then don’t make the short passing game grade at senior.

Or they’re coached to be hams.

That isn’t really true in my opinion. Most of their best underage players are only 19/20/21. Way too early to judge them. 2021 was their first
Minor title in 20 odd years I think.

They need to find a full back and with Joyce at six.

Kerry?

My reading of their short passing is they are trying to do the right thing but can’t deal with limericks physicality so it breaks down in the worst areas. Combine this with the fact they’ve no out ball like say a Limerick who’ve hayes, gillane and Flanagan it can look like an absolutely shambles of a plan.

Nailed it :dart:

Brought to the point of farce is the perfect summation. And who was the biggest influence on that exaggerated style of play in this current Cork set up?

UUCOAM Donal O’Grady

1. Donal Óg Cusack is a disciple of the short game. He promotes the softening of the game on a regular basis, consistently looking for rule changes and refs to give physical players ‘what’s coming to them’. This strong influence has worked it’s way into the Cork psyche and is clear for all to see. Kingston was a joke on the line v Limerick, looking for soft frees and pointing to his head every time another Cork player hit the deck and whipped off the helmet. A disease and a sign of unbelievable weakness.

2. Mention of Cork not having an outball similar to Gillane or Flanagan. They had Seamie Harnedy, an excellent target man and good in the air but they had him out around the half forward line playing pop passes for Darragh Fitzgibbon to run onto for a soft score. They have Tim O’Mahony but they had him playing wing back. Neither are as good as Gillane or Flanagan but fuck it, put them in an inside 2 and coach them and work on it like Limerick had to. But no, instead they indulged Patrick ‘Hoggy Boy’ Horgan in there, because well you can’t drop him boi! Horgan should have been moulded into a drifting 11 who was willing to burst his bollox for 50 minutes or so or told he’d be coming in as a sub

2 Likes

I don’t like cusack but it’s a fair stretch to say a guy who isn’t really involved is responsible. I’m not how much of an influence he really is to be honest.

On your second point I can again agree to a extent but in reality is they need a couple seamus harnedy types in their team. If he’s in at 14 they’ll really miss him at half forward. They did eventually cull Horgan too.

Regardless the cork management isn’t up to it. That’s who you blame and as long they don’t find the right management team they’ll come up short.

1 Like

You have nailed it. The Cork lads have said Horgan deserves one for the last five years. He is a lazy fucker and if he worked harder they may have won an All Ireland.

1 Like

Kingston blaming the ref. Should have gotten more frees.

:person_shrugging:

Is Pat Ryan in the frame at all for the senior job in Cork? He was pretty close seemingly to taking over from Derek in Waterford in 2018 but the word was that he had a last minute rethink as he felt there was too much of a whiff of player power.

@Breaking_my_balls tugging the bollocks off himself tonight

The shoulder he’s referring to I’d say. DOG has destroyed them.

Blatant he said it was :rofl:

Yes Kieran, it was a blatantly perfect shoulder by Dawhee Burke.

Sheedy trolling the shit out of them now to hammer the nail in

1 Like

I hope Cork win soon, brilliant supporters in the main, good in victory and in defeat which is rare, they would be a thorough decent bunch of people.

1 Like