Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Definitely on Galway’s puckout, Meade cleaned up.

Thought they did well inside the Galway '45 in the first 20, but I thought after that, Galway were on top. Cork players were too isolated inside afterwards and outnumbered at the break.

While Cadogan scored three points off the bench which justifies the call I was surprised they took of T’OM. He was a handful all afternoon and the only Cork forward who was consistently turning over Galway defenders, was also working hard off the ball. He picked up a booking and the took him off straight away.

Was noticable down the stretch that Galway defenders were able to clear their lines and draw frees to relieve pressure.

1 Like

Donal o Grady done some great things for Limerick in 2011 and in general.

He significantly improved many individual players skills by playing a certain style. It’s was incredibly infuriating at times But we saw the benefits in the longer term.

He also brought an ethos and professionalism to the set up which opened the eyes of the players what was required to compete at the top level. He put us on the road to that great Munster final win in 2013.

He also brought Jerry Wallace into the Limerick fold who then went onto to play a part in the Limerick underage academy which has produced many of the great players we currently have at the moment. I think he was there in 2013 and 2014.

So while it ended terribly with Limerick which happens a lot in sport I’d say he done a lot more good than bad for sure.

I think cork aren’t really trying to play the wrong style they just aren’t good enough to play the style they are trying to play. That’s the issue.

1 Like

That’s a stretch going on his performance Saturday

We won enough ball to win that game twice over; we beat them comprehensively on turnovers and puckouts.

1 Like

He won a lot of ball on Sunday.

You can tell who did and didn’t watch the game - sure you even had one lad saying we needed to play it in more direct, even though we were doing that all day to limited effect, particularly in the second half.

He left an awful lot of ball go in over his head unopposed. Ball wasn’t hectic but he wasn’t making the effort imo.
Anything in low was sticking either.

He’s probably better running off players from wing back imo.

Possibly but he got on a lot of ball throughout the game imo.

He doesn’t have the defensive instincts for half-back, shouldn’t be let anywhere near the back 6.

Nedser suggested Ben O’Connor as the next Cork manager on OTB this morning. What do ye reckon?

I know quite well someone involved in the Cork Senior camp under Kieran Kingston and he would make no bones about Dónal O’Grady being a pig of a man, a self important gobshite. His columns were routinely filled with bullshit, such as when he urged Tipperary’s management to play without a centre back, so as to man mark Richie Hogan, in the 2019 AIF. DO’G is a good coach of defenders, fair enough, but in any other terms he is a liability. No man management skills, no ability to connect with people. The same man oversaw one backdoor Senior All Ireland – hardly the stuff of managerial legend.

The fact that Éamon O’Shea has never been invited on The Sunday Game, while we continue to endure the maunderings of Dónal Óg Cusack, Davy Fitzgerald and Derek McGrath, says a great deal.

7 Likes

Was it O’Grady that Christy Heffernen went to town on in the 1982 All Ireland Final?

Martin Doherty, never played for Cork again I think he had been in America and coming back for games

1 Like

Right. I remember Liam O Murchu interviewing Christy Heffernan on “Up for the match” the night before and telling him that he was going to be marked by a fluent Irish speaker. Christy was relaxed about it.

Were any journalists on the Sunday game ? Or non ex players even ?

I do not understand the question or the point. EO’S is an ex player.

Martin O’Doherty, as already noted.

DO’G would be commonly considered in genuine Cork hurling circles as the worst full back with whom they won a Senior All Ireland.

O’Grady might be full of himself alright and a gruff character but so what. The point was if he was to blame for Cork’s malaise when it’s clear to me he has nothing to do with it. He is an excellent coach of defenders in particular and is a great man to trust young players. You sneer he only won one backdoor All-Ireland. He lost one AI final and came back and won it the next year. But this isn’t the first time you’ve written nonsense about that 00’s team.

EOS is a fantastic coach and fella but he won how many AI’s with that great Tipp team?

I just meant in general. In a lot of sports the best analysts are not ex players or even coaches.

My memory of those awful preview shows RTE used to put on in the past was that all the journalists were terribly boring