Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

With the way they currently play, they’d be better off with the other Newtown man, Pat Mulcahy.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure one of the big things Limerick players liked about him in 11/12 was his personal side. Ringing lads up for a chat, asking how’s work/college etc.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but to say Richie Browne was much maligned would be an understatement
O’Grady was a limited hurler but he was tough

Ewan cut his teeth on The Committee Room or whatever it was called circa 2009.

I used like Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports when eating my Coco Pops on a Sunday morning but the format never seemed to work for GAA.

Given what had happened over the previous two years those players would have welcomed a phone call from Pol Pot.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The 2000s Cork team is the most overrated outfit in the history of hurling. Kilkenny gave them a three point drubbing in 2006. Then they destroyed Cork in the All Ireland semi final of 2008 and of 2010.

I consider that statement a factual one, not a sneer. But what you think, in any event, is of absolutely zero interest to me.

I can think of no sport where the vast majority of the analysts are not former players.

The 04-06 teams were brilliant teams, and worthy of a three in a row of it had fallen to them, they left the 03 final behind them (flukey old goal from Martin Comerford)and in 06 they were pummeled by a ravenous Kilkenny team, the start of something special for them, by 09 it wasn’t really the same.
But 04 and 05, a great team full of great players

7 Likes

Ah, its a sneer alright. The Cork team from 03 to 06 was the best Cork team I have seen. They won two all irelands and in any other period, would have won at least another couple but for

1. Been up against the greatest hurling team I have seen
  2. Internal politics.

The fact that they manage to win 2 all irelands in the context of internal strife, says hell of a lot about the type of hurlers and men they were/are.

Those teams were dominated by the greatest U21 side I have ever seen. They won back to back at their ease.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, but it’s chicken and egg and I think you’ve missed my point completely. The style of play employed by Cork is because of the culture within Cork GAA, at club and county level, whereby the physical aspect of the game has been diluted or indeed suppressed entirely.

Your very valid points regarding work rate follow on from this style of play and culture. It is a by product of it. It is caused by it.

Fix the culture within Cork Hurling and the style of play will follow on, which in turn will see the fundamentals of work rare etc come up dramatically. Not the other way around!

Also, I don’t accept that the level of workrate we saw under Donal O’Grady’s Cork teams is comparable to the level of workrate required in the modern game. World’s apart, so saying that his teams worked hard back then is hardly relevant as proof that their poor work rarte in the 2022 side isn’t his fault.

We will have to disagree, amicably, on that point. 2005 would have been really interesting if Séamus Roche had eschewed the most biased refereeing performance of all time.

Cork have hit rock bottom when you have hammer throwers from Limerick telling them where they have gone wrong.

12 Likes

If you win back-to-back you’re a great team.

That was a super Cork side, to be fair. The likes of Cusack were and are incredibly dislikeable but they were a class side in full flow.

7 Likes

The Cork team of the mid naughties created the Kilkenny monster that followed.
That says it all tbh.

1 Like

Only great teams win back-to-back. That was a great Cork team.

7 Likes

Fucking hell, and you call DOG self important.

2 Likes

Sean Og, Curran, Gardiner lording it half back. Tom and Jerry midfield. Niall Mac a soldier at 11 with Ben O Connor alongside him. Great days.

2 Likes

Not to mention O’Sullivan, Brian Murphy, Wayne Sherlock, Joe Deane, Brian Corcoran and the much maligned Timmy Mc

1 Like

Probably our best ever 1-9, and a couple of geniuses in the forwards