Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Think our football teams are decent

He has none of the physicality or aggression needed for inter-county hurling, and his touch has gone to shit in the past two years. Non existent defensive skills or instincts. 100% the first name to be jettisoned, Kingston got this one right.

Put 15 players out there who will bust their ass for 70 plus minutes and can actually hook/tackle and weā€™ll see what happens.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no divine right to win anything in any sportā€¦ If youā€™re good enough go out and get it and no more about.

4 Likes

McDonnell supposedly retiring as well. Under-rated hurler.

2 Likes

this smells like a bit of industrial action

1 Like

How many of the management team are going. Probably the Rock, Cunningham are surplus to requirements.

1 Like

Offaly had a fairly freakishly good group of players from 1980 to 2000 . Also Birr had a freakishly good team most of those years

Based on numbers they would be nearer Kerry hurling than Cork .

1 Like

Are you seriousā€¦? Or just from The Glen?

SMcD is the worst intercounty back I have seen since Limerickā€™s Mickey Cahill.

To be fair, Kilkenny had some doozers in recent times, as per Robert Lennon, Enda Morrissey and Conor Oā€™Shea. But no one as hapless as SMcD.

Shane Cooney is the new kid on this Venn diagram block.

So is he hopeless or just lacking workrate which encapsulates what you said in 1st paragraph?

I thought he looked a decent enough player back in 2013. Solid and unspectacular but have never really seen much in him since. He came at half time for the Robert Downey was was having a stinker against Clare in Ennis in last years Munster championship and looked like a fella who hadnā€™t picked up a hurley in years, was utterly hapless.

1 Like

Shane Cooney isnā€™t a corner back but heā€™s a very good hurler

You have an excellent grasp of hurling ā€“ but I think SMcD was heading for Enda Flannery territoryā€¦

Wellā€¦ I wonder.

Iā€™d also wonder would we be talking differently about the players from the recent Cork under 21s/20s if they had a management team of similar calibre of Cahill/Bevans as opposed to Dennis Ring

1 Like

Thereā€™s no fear of cork. The weight of numbers will mean ye are never far away.

1 Like

He came on at halftime against Limerick in 2019 also and he was outstanding to be fair, I always liked McDonnell even if he was a liability at times, always tried to play from the front, fair play to him, always gave his all

He has been hopeless for the past two years, and was over-rated before that.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been far away for 15 years though? With the exception of 2013 thanks to Nash.

All the whures hopefully

Tbh he was savage for a while :::: like my beamish days , but got awful undependable, when he was brilliant he was outstanding but his mediocre lack lustre performances were too often

1 Like