Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Eaten bread is soon forgotten

The last 6 or 7 minutes v Clare in 2006 always stood with me. After a shaky start Clare settled and were winning battles all over the field and had a chance to either level or take the lead after 60 odd minutes but gilligan missed the free. Shefflin then just burst into life and Kilkenny hit 7 points in as many minutes each one either scored or set up by Shefflin. Gerry Quinn had a fine game on shefflin and kept him out if it for long periods til he went off injured but I’d say Shefflin got on about 15 balls that day and it led to about 1-12 in scores.

1 Like

TJ might have replaced Henry, but he never looked like usurping him

For the last 5 seasons TJR has played on pretty average Kk teams .

1 Like

There was a semi-final v Waterford too, think Shefflin was supposed to be injured but he played and turn in a Tour de France display. It must have been 2004, Waterford were hot favourites.

2004, Shefflin got a minor graze off Gerry Quinn and made a big song and dance about it

2 Likes

I don’t think Waterford were ever hot favourites in a game v KK

They were Munster champions and we were bate by Wexford in the Leinster Semi-Final. We were a team on a downward trajectory and Waterford were flying it. The Deise were favs for sure the same day.

Jesus you’re right. You’d see kids getting worse than Shefflin got off Quinn in an indoor play area, nothing wrong with him…

But we digress, we are way off topic, lets get back on track. I agree with whoever said DJ was better than Ring.

I do think Waterford may have been slight favourites that day. Kilkenny had played the two weekends previous as Clare took them to a replay after losing the Leinster final and their were doubts about Shefflin’s fitness. Was a horrible wet day and Paul Flynn nearly hurled Kilkenny on his own.

Didn’t Waterford drop Brenner for O’Regan and he left in a scuttery goal early on

I remember the rain, being underdogs and going up in hope rather than anything else. There were soft scores alright and we built up a lead. I had a bit to drink the same day so my recollection is a bit blurry :woozy_face:

That Clare v kk game was replayed on a Saturday evening. I vaguely remember it.

Even minus Mullane ???

Shefflin squinting for 70mins was a fair trade off on the day.

Yes, it was a very physical constipated game of hurling. Think it finished 1-14 to 12 or something similar, Daly used Alan Markham as sweeper both days and made it very attritional.

So you think Christy Ring was overrated? The reason being is that because he was from Cork he can’t be as good as they said he was?
You’d have to respect that type of logic in fairness

Was Christy Ring shite/vastly overrated?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Simpleton

0 voters

I see Laois are about to bring in the Carkness

No way, missing Mullane and starting a rookie goalie the same day

1 Like