Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Where did I say they won it?

They represented Cork in intermediate. I don’t know what you’re getting at

Cork is an example of a county with too many grades.

Lads are obsessed with avoiding an odd hammering. You have to win about 4 competitions to get up premier senior in cork if you are a small club.

Theyre too afraid to call anyone junior so make up in betweeny grades

1 Like

They won the premier intermediate. Not the intermediate. You plum. There are two grades in that as well

The Premier intermediate represents in the AI series not the lower int. The Premier qualifies you for senior hurling

2 Likes

Have ye any junior at all :rofl:

You coukdnt get relegated under the old structure which was a much bigger issue.

Why not?

Cloyne got relegated

Yep. A massive junior competition run off in divisions

There are 48 clubs out of about 250 in the top 4 grades in cork

What 4 grades?

Yes you needed to lose the relegation playoff more than once in three years or something. Basically impossible when there was a chance of meeting muskerry or someone a guaranteed win

Youghal elected to go down. Other than thay there was teams being promoted year in year out and doing nothing.

Senior, senior a, Premier intermediate and intermediate

Sorry. 5 grades. There is 3 intermediate grades. So 60 clubs

There is absolutely no need for divisions and colleges in the club championships at all

A different argument altogether. But agreed. They are a relic at this stage. And v few junior players getting a look in with the divisions that are serious about it

Will be gone in a few years I’d say. Already have to play in a prelim comp to qualify for championship proper. They don’t play the pool stages

1 Like

The colleges and divisions are grand until they actually start coming close to winning the thing.

Whatever about the divisions, you can see that some bit of merit there AA an out let for players from junior and intermediate clubs to hurl Senior. We’ll had them in Limerick for a while and I don’t think they should have gotten rid of them, instead they should have tweaked it a bit. But allowing UCC and CIT to play in the Cork SHC with players from other counties is complete bollox altogether

1 Like

Not sure if they were ever in the hurling? They were in the football for a while until 98. They were fucked out then for getting too strong. I think everyone was happy enough to let them in until UL became a monster and they started winning.
They famously won the all ireland club as thomond college in 1978 with Pat Spillane and a few more. That was a bit of a freak with an unbelievable team coming through at once. In the 90s the weight of numbers was starting to tell and the clubs were like fuck this and threw them out.
I think there’s a lot to be said for divisional teams tbh. Stops fellas having to leave shite clubs to be seen. But really you don’t want those makey uppy teams to be successful. It works in kerry. But they’ve always had it.
Not sure the colleges has much benefit. But its always been part of the Cork championship so they don’t seem to have much objection.

1 Like

I don’t think they were ever in the hurling either & better off too.
I remember seeing the footballers on RLO TV back in the day.:sweat_smile:

The problems with colleges in club championships is when they start to win